It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World Increase in Volcanic Activity for February.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
There has been a large increase of volcanic activity on the planet over the past month. Volcano watch centres who recorded only three reports for November have now been followed up with over twenty worldwide reports for February. Volcanoes that have not erupted for centuries are showing signs of new activity which seems to be widespread over the planet surface and not confined to one region.

volcano.und.nodak.edu
During 11-18 February, seismicity was above background levels at Kliuchevskoi, with a large number of shallow earthquakes occurring daily. Ash plumes rose ~3 km above the volcano's crater during 12-14 February. Phreatic bursts, which occurred when lava flows contacted a glacier, were seen on 12 and 13 February. During 12-16 February, volcanic bombs were hurled 300-500 m above the crater, Strombolian activity occurred in the crater, and lava traveled into Krestovsky channel on the volcano's NW flank. During a flight on 16 February, a mudflow was seen extending 27 km. According to a news report, a lava flow from Kliuchevskoi melted a large section of Ehrman glacier. Kliuchevskoi remained at Concern Color Code Orange.

A new period of heightened seismic activity began at Piton de la Fournaise on 17 February around 1300, consisting of about 100 seismic events within 90 minutes. After that, the number of events decreased, but recommenced at 1638 with several hundreds of events. Strong deformation was recorded at the same time by tiltmeters and the extensometer network. Eruption tremor began around 2035, becoming strong at 2050. The eruption site seemed to be situated close to Nez Coupé de Sainte Rose (on the N side of the volcano), and lava flows were observed in the Grand Brûlé area. According to a news report, the eruption ended on 19 February.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Activity has been reported in Russia, Guam, Hawaii, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Vanuatu, Alaska, Philippines, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Columbia, Japan, Ethiopia, Ecuador, West indies, Mariana Islands and Mt St Helens in Washington, along with renewed activity from the Sicilian Volcano, Mt Etna in Italy.

Volcanoes in Vanuatu, Indonesia and other area including Italy have been accompanied by increased seismic earthquake activity and some volcanoes including Egon Volcano in Indonesia, are recording their first ever reported eruptions.

Sulphur Dioxide clouds from the Manam volcano eruption in Papua New Guinea earlier this month have travelled over 1300 kilometres and have reached the shoreline of northern Australia.

At Mt St Helens in Washington state, a large rockfall caused plumes over 1000 feet with more cracks appreaing in the dome and rockfalls being predicted.

In Russia reports of "Volcanic Bombs" being thrown out over 500 metres from the Kliuchevskoi crater along with mud flows up to 27 kilometres long, caused by the eruption partially melting the Ehrman Glacier.

Related News Links:
volcano.und.nodak.edu
www.volcanolive.com
www.sveurop.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Volcano Watch 2005

[edit on 27-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sorry i edited this by one word which I found out in hindsight I am not supposed to do.

What interested me is that it is so obvious that the activity hass increased hugely but no mainstream news items seem to be able to be found regarding the issue.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I agree that it's odd nobody picks up on these things..but there are some factors you need to consider.

1. It's more profitable to make your citizens fear arabs, because arabs have oil. Volcanoes don't have oil we can steal, and so a War on Volcanism would be an even more ridiculous gesture than the War on Terror, because there would be no spoils, no rape, no pillage.

2. If we're all doomed, our leaders intend to be buried with their gold, and their servants, and their family (in the bunkers). They have no cause for alarm, so of course it doesn't make the news. (How safe they'll be when angry outlanders are dropping IED's down their air shafts, that's another discussion.)

3. The news has a rule when it comes to what gets coverage and what doesn't. "If it bleeds, it leads." That's the unspoken, no scratch that, the spoken rule regarding TV programming.

4. Telling the story could cause a panic, panic could cause rioting, and rioting could be disatrous for the regime in power because they don't yet have their robot army deployed. If we struck them before they are ready, they stand to lose CENTURIES of planning.

5. The news is geared towards the lowest common denominator. If it can't entertain slack jawed middle American yokels, it has no place on television (that's the thought process anyway). See, the networks say they won't show interesting programming because nobody will watch it. I say, how can anybody watch it, if they won't show it?!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Important coverage mayet.
Thanks.

And WyrdeOne - excellent commentary as per usual.

We had a member who was monitoring this a while ago - some very good stuff, early signs etc. No doubt we are into a phase of geophysical activity - not just volcanoes but earthquakes too.

India Daily covered this too, just recently, but isn't a 'good' source.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I wonder if this is leading up to that global earthquake I predicted in 2009. Interesting.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
www.huttoncommentaries.com...

I had a quick read through this link but still can't find any mainstream reports about the increase in activity nor any scientists comment about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The worlds geographics are starting to change. What this space, because untill it causes mass death and destruction, it wont be in the mainstream media. How unfortunate.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
We also have a solar eclipse on April 8 smack bang in the middle of the pacific plate and a week or so later a lunar eclipse in the Indian ocean, who knows what pressure this magnetic pull will have on the already fussing earth crust.

sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov...
aa.usno.navy.mil...

also I just found another link where it raises the question of increased activity. The person answering the question says that maybe five to ten more volcanoes erupt each year. Well the increase for February alone is enough to send those stats off the chart.

volcano.und.nodak.edu...
volcano.und.nodak.edu...

www.uwiseismic.com...

There is interesting snippets all over the net but until i posted this today I hadn't heard anything about them in the mainstream or more to the point anyone who actually sat down and gathered all of it together and said..wow something big is happening here

and this link has some interesting data concerning the chandler wobble and the effects of the sun/moon/earth
www.michaelmandeville.com...

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I agree that it's odd nobody picks up on these things..but there are some factors you need to consider.

1. It's more profitable to make your citizens fear arabs, because arabs have oil. Volcanoes don't have oil we can steal, and so a War on Volcanism would be an even more ridiculous gesture than the War on Terror, because there would be no spoils, no rape, no pillage.

2. If we're all doomed, our leaders intend to be buried with their gold, and their servants, and their family (in the bunkers). They have no cause for alarm, so of course it doesn't make the news. (How safe they'll be when angry outlanders are dropping IED's down their air shafts, that's another discussion.)

3. The news has a rule when it comes to what gets coverage and what doesn't. "If it bleeds, it leads." That's the unspoken, no scratch that, the spoken rule regarding TV programming.

4. Telling the story could cause a panic, panic could cause rioting, and rioting could be disatrous for the regime in power because they don't yet have their robot army deployed. If we struck them before they are ready, they stand to lose CENTURIES of planning.

5. The news is geared towards the lowest common denominator. If it can't entertain slack jawed middle American yokels, it has no place on television (that's the thought process anyway). See, the networks say they won't show interesting programming because nobody will watch it. I say, how can anybody watch it, if they won't show it?!

What does the War on Terror have to do with volcano's, or bush or US foreign policy?
Nothing.
Wyrd one bash bush all you want but please refran from doing it on threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with politics

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Has anyone considered that the reason there is increased activity is that the Tsunami caused ripples vibrational harmonics in the Magma that has resonated internally to create a cascade effect on the fault lines.

I have been studying the effects of Geothermal events on the weather patterns and concluded that volcano's and Earthquakes create shock waves that ripple through the earth and then bounce around at the Crust from underneath. When one of these ripples hits a fault line it can destabalise the whole area and cause a follow on Earth quake / Volcano Eruption.

This is perfectly natural and nothing to worry about...

However, if the current events were to accelerate the Yellowstone Cal then we are all in big trouble!!

All the best,.

Neon.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

What does the War on Terror have to do with volcano's, or bush or US foreign policy?
Nothing.

You might want to explain that to the Bush administration.

NORTHCOM was introduced in 2002 - it brings everything under one military roof in the event of catastrophe - Homeland Security, FEMA (dealing with natural disasters), government, etc.

"(The NORTHCOM plan) realigns and streamlines U.S. military structure to better address 21st century threats. For the first time, commanders' areas of operations cover the entire Earth." - Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

NORTHCOM Official Site

Wyrd one bash bush all you want but please refran from doing it on threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with politics

Today, virtually every aspect of life is political, and subject to military control - because this administration chooses to define it that way. From what you do in your bedroom, to what happens in the event of disaster.

FYI - criticizing government policy is not 'bashing Bush.' It's a necessary survival skill.

WyrdeOne

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
great story!! its important for sure however youll are shooting at the wrong target the world has been changing for 4 billion years and much worse things have happened on the same time scale as these new events the issue is the lack of understanding by the masses if more of us cared how the earth works soon we would see we cant live the U.S. lifestyle people could see the impact of our consumer lives on the earth hundreds and thousands of years from now

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
We also have a solar eclipse on April 8 smack bang in the middle of the pacific plate and a week or so later a lunar eclipse in the Indian ocean, who knows what pressure this magnetic pull will have on the already fussing earth crust.

What magnetic pull are you referring too? If you are referring to the gravitational effect of a solar eclipse due the the sun and moon being lined up, then you need not worry....any effect it would have would be miniscule or not existant. As for lunar eclipses, this occurs when the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth...no effect at all.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Are you basing it on the listing of activity on the site as compared to other years? If so, please remember that most of those events got dropped off when they reported previous months and years.

The history page at volcano.und.nodak.edu... doesn't report EVERY single month a volcano is active; just when there is a major event. So the lava flows and fresh lava and the occasional bomb. Activity such as this:

Colima, Mexico

During 16-21 February, several small explosions at Colima produced ash plumes that rose to low levels; plumes drifted predominately SE and W.

(See video of the Feb 12th event).

Source: Universidad de Colima, Washington Volcanic Ash Advisory Center
never shows up on the subsequent reports because it's trivial. Ditto the Kilauea new entry (Feb 25).

So if you're basing it on those pages, you really need to look at only the major stuff and not EVERYthing. It's not unusual for volcanos to be active for quite awhile after a major earthquake (ala the tsunami) as the earth's crustal plates finish adjusting.

And no, it won't trigger anything at the eclipse. Do you know how many eclipses we get each decade? Lots.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Historically the eclispses have had an effect on the activity of earthquakes

www.greatdreams.com...

This compelling passage is only one of a number of literary and historical connections between eclipses and earthquakes. The Greek historian Thucydides, in writing about the Peloponnesian War, remarked about "earthquakes and eclipses of the Sun which came to pass more frequently than had been remembered in former times." On another occasion he noted "... there was an eclipse of the Sun at the time of a new Moon, and in the early part of the same month an earthquake." Another Greek writer, Phlegon, reported the following events:

In the fourth year of the 202nd Olympiad, there was an eclipse of the Sun which was greater than any known before and in the sixth hour of the day it became night; so that stars appeared in the heaven; and a great earthquake that broke out in Bithynia destroyed the greatest part of Nicaea.
www.earthview.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

You might want to explain that to the Bush administration.

NORTHCOM was introduced in 2002 - it brings everything under one military roof in the event of catastrophe - Homeland Security, FEMA (dealing with natural disasters), government, etc.

Today, virtually every aspect of life is political, and subject to military control - because this administration chooses to define it that way. From what you do in your bedroom, to what happens in the event of disaster.

FYI - criticizing government policy is not 'bashing Bush.' It's a necessary survival skill.

WyrdeOne

No, it does not.... northcom is not going to have military control when natural disasters occur..... Northcom is there to help civilian and police responders when there are natural disasters.... which is completly different to what you claim...

And you really think 1,200 people are enough to control the world?..... That's the total amount of people that work in Northcom...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Anyways, back on topic. It is my opinion that what is causing this increase in volcanic activity, and all the increase we are seeing in weather patterns ect, are being caused by the same thing that is causing all of our solar system, including the sun, to be acting strangely. Either the Russians are right and we are entering a new field of energy in our voyage through space which is making all this racket, or something else is out there causing this. I posted, on another forum, not too long ago a link about this new energy field we are passing through, NASA says it is only dust from space, but they do say that it will be denser and denser up to the year 2015 i believe. The Russians say this is what is causing all the increased activity not only on Earth by on all of our solar system.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Nothing.

mwm
The War on Terror is a distraction, not necessarily from volcanoes in particular, but from the real world in general. Our government wants us to trade liberty for their brand of safety, but what they're not telling us is that we'll never be truly safe. For the record, I didn't say Bush, you're the one obviously obsessed with the man, not me. This thread is about a possible increase in volcanic activity, and my points were in answer to a question by Mayet, who asked why the mainstream media was not interested in these sorts of stories. I'll take your advice on impartiality when you take it yourself.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If you happen to be watching the Iris Seismic Monitor, you'll notice a couple of pesky 4's and some smaller quakes just off Vancouver Island.
This has the markings of precurser and MSH has been more active recently.

www.iris.edu...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
masqua
Not to mention conditions are ripe at MSH for an eruption, and a lateral one at that.

Just some of the factors that contribute to the severity of lateral eruptions (like the one in 1980)

1. Mud slides, wet conditions.
2. Growing magma domes
3. Decapitated summit and truncated vents

All three of these are in place right now at MSH. They have more snow and ice every year in the depression, and one good mudslide could unleash hell...

The eruption of MSH isn't anything to lose sleep over..but the chain reaction throughout the cascades that could happen is something to be afraid of. If little sister does speak, and grandfather does answer, then supposedly the land is swept clean to the ocean, no?

If there is a cosmic occurence increasing our global instability, it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if this was the normal course of events. We live in an unstable world. Anybody who tells you differently is trying to capitalize on your ignorance.

If people really knew how unstable the earth was, do you think they'd care about American Idol or Who Wants to be a Millionaire, or Three's Company or any of that tripe? No. If people knew the facts, they would go on about their lives yes, but they would have a keener sense of what matters and what is a waste of time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join