It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China hopes to be growing potatoes on the moon ‘within 100 days’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Ugh, all that really happened with this experiment was one cotton seed sprouting. Shortly thereafter, the biological experiment ended as all the equipment had been shut down for the lunar night. The remaining seeds and animals will be decomposed down to organic fundamentals.

news.cgtn.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I agree, and there must be a fairly substantial temperature control system as well.

Temps on the Moon range from -280F to +260F during a Lunar day/night cycle (13.5 Earth days), so the plants would be steamed and then freeze dried every 13.5 days.

Also hope they included some type of light source

Otherwise first scientific thing discovered is that night on the moon last 2 earth weeks ………...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Also hope they included some type of light source.

Huh huh hydroponics, dude.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

This is great , I told my girlfriend and she said what is their a nazi famine on the moon?

hahaha

someone needs to send a work place inspection team up there , China are probably using underage illegal aliens to grow those potatoes in sweat greenhouses
edit on 15-1-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
China is making space and the moon exciting again!! I think this is awesome. At least they are trying something new. Kudos. S & F

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

One of the things that points to hoax is they supposedly landed on the dark side of moon the side that always faces away from earth which means you can not check out their landing site via telescope from earth or space station.
I hope it's not a hoax tho that would be cool.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
China also introduced a space army before trump.

While Americans are fighting with each other over their borders. China is playing the long game.

Americans are very naive and too compassionate that is works against them.

Chinas toughness and logic on pollution vs profit and their logic on importing immigrants is 100% I'm favor of the Chinese people.

If anything effects their bottom line or capital they will not thing twice about refusing it.

While in the u.s. the government will bankrupt companies through fines fees, and regulations.

The u.s. has become very weak in being a tough country

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: Gothmog

One of the things that points to hoax is they supposedly landed on the dark side of moon the side that always faces away from earth which means you can not check out their landing site via telescope from earth or space station.
I hope it's not a hoax tho that would be cool.

You can check out the landing site via a spacecraft orbiting the Moon, such as the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. It has imaged the whole of the Moon (including the "dark side") in high resolution, including the landing site:

www.lroc.asu.edu...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The biological experiment ended as the plants are dead due to the lunar night's cold.

China's Moon Plants Are Dead

Turns out the canister containing the biologicals did not have a battery powered heater, and when the internal temp reached -52 C, the sprouts were dead.

It also turns out that this experiment was not one of the missions core goals, but was instead included by students. From the article:

Though Chang'e 4 team members have touted the biological experiment's potential to help pave the way for future lunar settlement, it isn't a core scientific payload for the mission. In 2015, Chinese space officials asked students around the country to submit ideas for a payload to fly aboard Chang'e 4. The minibiosphere was the winning entrant out of more than 250 proposals, according to China's state-run Xinhua news agency.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Why is it that the moon sickness continues on.

These are about as high res as looking through a 50 cent telescope.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Try a quick Google, there are loads of hi res images of the Moon from NASA, Japan and here from China:

What's your point? What "moon sickness"?
edit on 18-1-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Why is it the sickness of knee-jerk denialism continues on?

The smallest craters visible in LRO image are about a metre across. Who made you the arbiter of quality standards to say that is somehow inadequate? If you think the images aren't up to your standard then how about you rustle up some mission specs for a better one, cost it, submit to a space agency and let them get back to you.

Here is a very well written and superbly illustrated page describing how you can personally download high resolution lunar images from a variety of sources (USA, Japan, China and India) for yourself so that you can verify what's in them:

onebigmonkey.com...

Or you can just continue with pointless ill-informed sniping.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: wildespace

Why is it that the moon sickness continues on.

These are about as high res as looking through a 50 cent telescope.

It's about the same resolution as best spy satellites orbiting earth - from 0.5 m per pixel to 0.25 m per pixel. Those craters in the image I posted are quite small.

Getting better resolution than 0.25 m/p would cause motion blur due to the orbital velocity, and use up additional fuel.

I'd say the half-meter per pixel is a very good resolution for an orbiting spacecraft.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
a reply to: one4all

Really? Want to start smashing their windows? Burn some books? Maybe make them wear a badge?

This have anything remotely to do with the subject under discussion or are you just promoting a Protocols of the Elders of Beijing?

China has a Global responsibility and reputation to manage....how are we supposed to support their efforts at Space exploration or of anything substantial or impactful while their Government refuses to self-police the Triads running the Country now....how can we believe what they tell us or support anything they do on a scientific level when they so clearly intend on terrorising the world with killer drugs on a humanitarian level....the thread title brought me here....like it was supposed to do...and China refusal to stop the exportation of killer drugs and or the components for making them is cause to come here and let people know that this is not a respectable Country with Humanitarian interests at heart...which is what we usually expect from a Space Exploring Country.

Who cares what China does in Space when their drugs are killing our children in Countries all over the Planet..thats why I posted and that why this is my last one on this thread...I dont wish to derail it I wish to add some correct humanitarian contrast to it....lets just remeber exactly who we are dealing with here.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all
Your posts here are off-topic, let's not get political in a thread where we're discussing humanity's achievement of landing on the Far Side of the Moon!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join