It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China hopes to be growing potatoes on the moon ‘within 100 days’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The only reason we stopped going to the moon is because there were no potatoes there.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I agree, and there must be a fairly substantial temperature control system as well.

Temps on the Moon range from -280F to +260F during a Lunar day/night cycle (13.5 Earth days), so the plants would be steamed and then freeze dried every 13.5 days.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
As others have posted: the Far Side of the Moon receives the same amount of both solar and cosmic radiation as the Near Side that faces us all the time due to the Moon's Day/Night cycle.

That type of radiation is harmful to living organisms, but not in the same way as nuclear radiation from radioactive particles is. Think "Microwave" and you are closer to what kind of radiation it is.

Short term exposure is fine. However long term exposure would be bad. The easiest way to shield against it for the long term would be to simply place any colony/station below the Moon's surface. This has the added benefit of helping protect against small micro meteors that we are protected from here on Earth by our atmosphere.

Low Gravity.

We don't know exactly what the long term effects are on humans. We do know the long term effects while in free fall or micro gravity, due to all the low earth orbit missions astronauts have been on. Muscle and bone loss is a serious problem.

However we're not sure how much loss (if any) humans would experience in the Moon's 1/6 Earth gravity, as no one has been on the Moon long enough to test that.
Some scientist feel that it would still be an issue, while others believe that the Moon's gravity is strong enough to offset the more serious effects. The only sure way to know is to have people on the Moon for long periods (months) and see what the effects are.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

any longer term moon mission could incorporate the equipment for " weight training " - which would deal with most muscular-sleletal issues - and some of the cardio vascular issues

and for everything else - a 0.5g centrifuge or other system - would be feasible

it would not be a total solution - but it would put a massive brake on any gravity induced degeneration

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
Is this before or after China assassinates a Canadian citizen?

Yay China!!!

China doesn't have the cojones to execute a Canadian...China fears Canada....everyone fears Canada....no one has clued in yet....lol...36 million people without an Army-Navy-Airforce control what could be the Worlds most resource diverse and filled Country on the Planet....lol....lol...people need to zoom in on some of those fancy UFO videos till they can see the little Maple Leafs stickers on the hulls....LMAO.

Every heard of JTF#....They dont call it Joint Taskforce# because Marijuana is legal in Canada it is because they work JOINTLY with another power exclusive to the rest of the worlds Countries.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Mostly I'm thinking "colony", so living there for decades to entire life.

New born infants and very small children would be a issue as they can't do the heavy exercise.

Then again, a simple solution for that would be an orbital platform (like a O'Neil cylinder) that spins for 1g. Mothers who are pregnant would stay there and children until they are old enough (and trained) to do the exercises.

Of course again: that's if it's needed as again some scientist think it might not be an issue.

I'm reminded of science fiction author Larry Niven with his Known Space universe, describing all the different people living in colonies in space: The Belters (living among the asteroid belts, mining them), colonists on WeMadeIt (love that name, very low gravity, and they end up averaging over 7 feet tall, quite skinny, and weak), the people on Jinx (3 times Earth gravity, they end up as very short and wide humans, who seem to have super human strength, but end up living short lives due to heart problems).

Another good fictional example is the TV show "The Expanse" where the Belters and Martian colonist have issues with Earth gravity. In fact, I believe in one of the first episodes of the first season, a captured Belter terrorist is tortured here on Earth for information by simply making him experience Earth's gravity.

I think that if we get out there, over time, we'll become the very aliens we dream of as each group of humans adapt to their environments, just as we've done here on Earth itself.

And it may all start with a potato and silkworms on the Far Side of the Moon.....

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I havent seen anyone say it so i will. Once you plant a crop (potatoes are a crop) then you have colonized that area. China once those potatoes grow has officially colonised the moon!
a reply to: LookingAtMars

edit on 15-1-2019 by semperkill because: spelling

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Awesome! Can't wait for humans to ruin another planet.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

That actually makes as much sense as anything.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I wish they had taken some bats up there because then Moon Bats would be a thing.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yes Potatoes ……

Gives new meaning to the statement - "Do you want fries with your order....?"

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
I think they watch to many Hollywood movies saw that on The Martian

Yes, but are they using human poop as fertilizer?

Pretty sure China always has and always does!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: kingparrot
Hey mate, Any links to this growing evidence of a Chinese moon hoax? Is the evidence as compelling as the supposed USA hoax? (I do believe America got there).a reply to: Gothmog

Just got through reading one before I ever saw this thread
Apparently , they left a large size power cable in front of the lander
And then took a photo

Actually , in this article they state a "chalk line"

Chalk line

It's not a chalk line or a power cable, it's light reflected off the rover. There are other images showing exactly the same thing when it was much nearer the lander itself.

Watch this video and see your 'power cable' or 'chalk line' follow the sun:

edit on 15/1/2019 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: added video

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperkill
I havent seen anyone say it so i will. Once you plant a crop (potatoes are a crop) then you have colonized that area. China once those potatoes grow has officially colonised the moon!

I would say that they're still exploring, not colonizing. First you send out explorers, then you establish military bases, then once the area is relatively safe settlers come in. I think that once you build a jail, then you've properly colonized a place.

P.S. -- I don't think the Chinese are going to colonize the moon until they can figure a way to grow rice, which requires a whole lot of water.
edit on 15-1-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
Awesome! Can't wait for humans to ruin another planet.

It's a dusty ball of rock in space. It would be like us ruining the stuff that collects in your vacuum cleaner.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperkill
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Don't believe everything you see in the movies

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: kingparrot
Hey mate, Any links to this growing evidence of a Chinese moon hoax? Is the evidence as compelling as the supposed USA hoax? (I do believe America got there).a reply to: Gothmog

Just got through reading one before I ever saw this thread
Apparently , they left a large size power cable in front of the lander
And then took a photo

Actually , in this article they state a "chalk line"

Looks like a reflection of the sun to me.

Chalk line

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Great... we are going to end up with mutant, monster moon potatoes that are highly resistant to cold and heat.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

P.S. -- I don't think the Chinese are going to colonize the moon until they can figure a way to grow rice, which requires a whole lot of water.

What if there becomes a way to cost effectively send the rice to the moon. Tech is certainly still moving forward fast!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
What if there becomes a way to cost effectively send the rice to the moon. Tech is certainly still moving forward fast!

That gives a whole new definition to the term "rice rocket."

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join