It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China hopes to be growing potatoes on the moon ‘within 100 days’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I think that you are confusing ionising radiation with radioactive material. The former include X and Gamma rays, the latter stuff like uranium and plutonium.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   
For every person that says it’s not possible there’s another that says it is. Im no scientist... a reply to: lSkrewloosel

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I like it.

This is how you learn if things will work. By trying.

More power to 'em.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Then you'd be wrong. Peruse most any of the threads about the purported hoax here on ATS to find out why.

a reply to: kingparrot

It's many more than one to one who believe that we went to the moon six times.
edit on 1/15/2019 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I agree. Either way China growing spuds on the moon is a wonderful thing. Now all we need is a lunar vodka factory for the astronauts/cosmonauts rostered day offreply to: seagull

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   
this stunt = long on PR - short on science

the potato seeds are in a SEALED vessel - containing everything needed for thier growth [ oxygen , CO2 , biomass ] - except sunlight [ the vessel has a transparent pane . ]

all previous missions - recoreded data that demostrated - that such an experiment would be 100% sucessful

ie - light spectrometry is sutible for photosynthesis

radiation levels - withi such a vessel - will not kill plants

further - ISS , skylab and MIR experiments demonstrated that plants will geow in different gravity wells

so this does nothing to advance the goal of a long term agriculture on luna - to support a permanent colony

but hey - potatoes .........................

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: kingparrot
Hey mate, Any links to this growing evidence of a Chinese moon hoax? Is the evidence as compelling as the supposed USA hoax? (I do believe America got there).a reply to: Gothmog

Just got through reading one before I ever saw this thread
Apparently , they left a large size power cable in front of the lander
And then took a photo

Actually , in this article they state a "chalk line"

Chalk line

edit on 1/15/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   
You don’t know for sure until you do it, that’s the point. a reply to: ignorant_ape

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yep. Publicity stunt.

However, it's on the Moon, that alone makes it cool. I don't believe anyone's done that yet?? Should be successful, as were all the like experiments in orbit.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The author of the article isn’t convinced this is proof of a hoax... I’m not either a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I would have been a little bit more impressed with this experiment if they had tried to use lunar soil to grown them in, even if you have to add things to it to get it to work.

It would have shown that anyone wanting to set up a self sustaining colony up there that you can do it without having to import many metric tons of Earth soil to the Moon for farming.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Stage twoa reply to: eriktheawful

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

This is fascinating! China is obviously seriously considering their future in space exploration and creating habitats for long term space exploration possibilities. I find the the inclusion of the silkworm eggs more fascinating than the potatoes or cotton seeds.

China is the first to domesticate silkworms and they provide such a multiple purpose usefulness from food, clothing, pharmaceuticals, antibiotics, etc.

Especially curious how the eggs are doing since they begin to hatch at only 2 weeks. Wonder what food source if any they have available for the hatchlings?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Ask Matt Damon how that worked out for him...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What levels of radiation are on the dark side of the moon does anyone know off the top of their head. Maybe that’s why China has hit the dark side... a reply to: MrSporkster

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Yep would need growth rates ,yield etc. to know know how to up size for a small moon base. Think the major obstacle though is living in lower gravity for extended periods. We just are not evolved for that. That said a small group monitoring robot workers/miners might be economically viable someday

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
a reply to: tadaman

Would you eat those ? There is no ozone layer or athmosphere those potatoes are full of radiation !

Not the same kind of radiation we would worry about for our food. Nuclear radiation with beta and gamma particles for instance, would be what we worry about. The radiation that would kill from the Sun, that people are discussing as the Van Allen Belt protects us, should also make it rough on green leafy plants. We will see I think it is NOT a hoax and I hope it isn't.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

It's the "back" side of the Moon, not the "dark" side. It gets just as much sunlight as the 'front' side of the Moon, it just never faces Earth.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Especially curious how the eggs are doing since they begin to hatch at only 2 weeks. Wonder what food source if any they have available for the hatchlings?

potatoes ????

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   
🤣 yup my bad, less radio annoyance from the earth plenty of stress from the sun froma reply to: Flyingclaydisk

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join