It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Government Employees Working For Free is a Hyped-up LIE.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If only the press showed this much concern for the American small business and worker.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe
If you have a full time job, and missing one paycheck causes you to go into financial tailspin, that says more about you and your complete lack of a financial clue than anything happening in the government.

Me thinks you've never had medical issues.

It doesn't take much.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Oh, no...I have a severe and chronic medical issue actually. Causes me to live in severe pain every single day. Not sure what that has to do with being a good steward of your money, though. I'm not trying to come down on people who dont have a lot of money, but missing one paycheck should never cause you to go into financial turmoil. To go back to medical issues, for someone with a bad issue, would it not be smart to put money away in case you do have to miss time at work due to medical reasons?

Living above our means, and constantly flying by the seat of your pants financially is the issue. Now, its not their fault that the government decided to stop paying them, so I do have some empathy. Also, it seems that most banks, at least Federal Credit Unions, are helping out federal employees who are burdened by this shutdown.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

Oh, no...I have a severe and chronic medical issue actually. Causes me to live in severe pain every single day. Not sure what that has to do with being a good steward of your money, though. I'm not trying to come down on people who dont have a lot of money, but missing one paycheck should never cause you to go into financial turmoil. To go back to medical issues, for someone with a bad issue, would it not be smart to put money away in case you do have to miss time at work due to medical reasons?

Living above our means, and constantly flying by the seat of your pants financially is the issue. Now, its not their fault that the government decided to stop paying them, so I do have some empathy. Also, it seems that most banks, at least Federal Credit Unions, are helping out federal employees who are burdened by this shutdown.

Just you?

Kids, wife?

I see very few people these days living beyond their means.

Where do you skrimp? Food? Coupons? (mostly junk food). Car repairs? Dentist?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I have a wife and a child, and my wife stays at home raising our son. We dont live outside our means and we are just fine. Maybe I make more money than the average person, but not by a lot! I'm not saying everyone can do what I do, but no one should be in danger of losing their house, or starving because they miss one paycheck! Save some damn money for once! Maybe this will be a good lesson to everyone. Put a little back each paycheck, even if its only 50 bucks!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

?

Most people live beyond their means, why do you think people are freaking out over 1 check?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: dawnstar

I don't think I've ever heard a president say that he'd keep the gov't shut down for months, maybe years, if he didn't get his pet project funded

cause he cant
congress passes bills
potus can veto
congress can override the veto

congress needs to do its job.

this whole shutdown is ALL CAUSED by republicans...period......sen. McConnell will not bring it to the floor for a vote....both houses agreed to a deal AND trump agreed with the deal back in dec 2018....until loud mouths on FOX called trump out on it, and only then did he back down......trump is so weak, he can't even stand up to commentators on 1 single TV station......no wonder Putin (former head of the KGB, now FSB) knows trump is a useful idiot

so...let's recap how successful putin has been....

the US is in a trade war with china
the US has a government shutdown in it's 4th week
the US has backed out of Syria
the POTUS wants out of NATO
the POTUS is making millions in profits off of his POTUS position, including the doubling of the secret service government payouts to his mar-a-lago estate, and for secret service protection in trump tower for his wife and son....that's just a few off the top of my head

trump is the tony soprano of government

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

this whole shutdown is ALL CAUSED by republicans...period

I don't completely disagree.
How will trips to Puerto Rico change that?
Were the dems pitching the strategy for the bill they intend to pass in the house to the Puerto Rican people?
Seems to me the dems should pass a bill and bring it to the people and show them the senate is blocking the path.
But that is hard to do while on vacation.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

?

Most people live beyond their means, why do you think people are freaking out over 1 check?

jesus...BECAUSE THERE IS MORE TO IT!!!.....you must think everyone that works in government makes at least 20 or 25 bucks a hour, and works 40 hours a week, and THOSE ARE THE ONLY people that are affected by this....go f'in learn something....trump has counted on your ignorance, and he wasn't wrong on that

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

this whole shutdown is ALL CAUSED by republicans...period

I don't completely disagree.
How will trips to Puerto Rico change that?
Were the dems pitching the strategy for the bill they intend to pass in the house to the Puerto Rican people?
Seems to me the dems should pass a bill and bring it to the people and show them the senate is blocking the path.
But that is hard to do while on vacation.

that budget PASSED BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS last year when controlled by republicans....and what the F is so important about trips to Puerto Rico, who cares, both republicans and democrats take trips...trump is the one that vetoed it last year, that's why republicans are to blame, period

by the way, have you heard???????????????????......2/3's of congress can override trump's veto........but NOT ONE right-winger on here says anything about that......shakes head

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

refrigerators??? heck, we're wondering if we can get away without electicity for the rest of the winter...
$500 dollars electric bill... their a bunch of danged theives!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Blaming the victim is never good.

The girl was dumb to wear a short dress in that neighborhood, you know the men there are creeps.

The guy was stupid to have been working in that country, you know they are religious fanatics.

The Federal Workers are idiots for living beyond their means, you know the Government can shutdown at any time.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: Muninn

?

jesus...BECAUSE THERE IS MORE TO IT!!!.....you must think everyone that works in government makes at least 20 or 25 bucks a hour, and works 40 hours a week, and THOSE ARE THE ONLY people that are affected by this....go f'in learn something....trump has counted on your ignorance, and he wasn't wrong on that

I don't care what they make, if you make 15000 a year then learn to budget around that.

My ignorance?

I'm 44 yo and semi retired, my ignorance has got me far in life, son.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

During a lapse in appropriations, there is no money to pay federal workers. While some agencies remain fully funded under previously enacted spending bills (DOD etc.) many are unfunded. Therefore paying them would be in violation of the Anti-deficiency Act.

So those employees are either furloughed, with no promise of back pay, although that is usually the case, or they are working (deemed essential) but not getting paid. Those working do get back pay once it's all said and done.

I'm in that second group. I did not get a pay check last week. If nothing changes soon. I will again not get a pay check in two weeks.

Your OP is the very definition of fake news.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie2018
Blaming the victim is never good.

The girl was dumb to wear a short dress in that neighborhood, you know the men there are creeps.

The guy was stupid to have been working in that country, you know they are religious fanatics.

The Federal Workers are idiots for living beyond their means, you know the Government can shutdown at any time.

Well, just because a truth is uncomfortable or problematic doesn't mean it isn't true.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
sure, everyone should have a few months pay stacked away for emergencies.
and everyone should have the serial numbers of their tvs and dvrs written down in case of theft. and everyone should have jumper cables and a bag of kitty litter in the trunk. and everyone should leave the water on a trickle when it freezes.

well, we all know it doesn't work that way.

35k sounds like a lot to many of us but it doesn't go all that far in DC or NYC areas.
many of us budget the best we can based on projections. nobody counts on stoppages like this.

I have no sympathy for these 100k executive management types but feel bad for the prison and TSA and similar low-level workers that have to show up.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Meanwhile, 42,000 members of the coast guard did not receive their paycheck today. For the first time in American history.

Those coastguard members should have saved more!!!!! s/

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
What ever happened to unemployment insurance? They can't receive that anymore?

Someones lying...

I believe you cannot collect unemployment insurance if you are working without pay. Might be incorrect on that one though.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

.trump is the one that vetoed it last year, that's why republicans are to blame, period

uh no
lol misinformed dufus
www.senate.gov...

President Donald J. Trump has vetoed 0 bills.

have you heard???????????????????

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA
a reply to: dawnstar

That's not the point, continuing resolutions are cause no one want to pass a budget this is the real cause of shut downs if congress feels like not executing a resolution or a party want to get their way in a matter. DJT is trying to force the dems on the allocations of funds for the wall. I think he is trying to flex presidential power here like other presidents have in the past. 5 billion is not as much as most think. I am a government contractor and I am on a contract were the Navy will spend that much in a year. A Year!!!!!

The Navy along with all other branches had money allocated in 2018, for all of 2019.
Hence, they had no problem with printing out money for them.
How come they do not do the same for everything else?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join