It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Government Employees Working For Free is a Hyped-up LIE.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

I'm not sure any federal workers missed a pay period in previous shutdowns.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
i think all of you that think this is no big deal should hold of on paying your electric bill this month on the due date or car insurance. anything

you think those companies you agreed to pay on or by a certain day would be cool with you telling them to chill.

"you'll get the electric bill money at some point. relax. youre getting paid"

come on man

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Its not a cop-out.
If people need to learn the hard way that sometimes you can't rely on a bloated government job to provide steady income, then maybe they should look for employment elsewhere.

If all these people are so badly affected, and I am sure there are serious implications with most of them, then they need to begin what all of us Americans do when we lose our jobs. Find new ones.

The media claiming this is akin to "slavery" is a joke.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

it is a cop out
they agreed to be at work at a certain time for a certain time in exchange for being paid a certain amount at a certain time.

they are there
the money is not

they are not being paid. i am not talking about in the future.
talking right now

it does not matter how you all spin and twist or minimize or say its their fault.

it is what it is.
and they are not currently being paid.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have been trying to explain this to people, but for some reason they don’t get it. I once went six months waiting for a paycheck to catch up to me while I was in college, but I still got paid.

In my industry (healthcare and insurance), doctors and other professionals often go for 2 to 3 months before being compensated for the "work" they performed. Especially those whose focus is Medicare and Medicaid patients.

After this particular shut-down, many government employees will change careers, or plan their finances better.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

You are assuming that people can't pay their utilities after one month?
That's the point I am making.

I was taught a long time ago to save 6 months worth of bills in an emergency fund for times just like this. It seems like common sense today, and most double-income families have 4x the money coming in that I do.

So are you telling me all these people are that broke after missing a paycheck or two?

That is truly shocking to me and only proves that people today are living too far beyond their means.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

2 or 3 months with no income? They must get a pretty big check when they do get paid.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i think all of you that think this is no big deal should hold of on paying your electric bill this month on the due date or car insurance. anything

you think those companies you agreed to pay on or by a certain day would be cool with you telling them to chill.

"you'll get the electric bill money at some point. relax. youre getting paid"

come on man

Lol, now it's everyone's fault that people don't know how to prepare for unknown situations, nice.

So far it has been 1 paycheck but we are suppose to believe that the creditors are calling already?

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Ok. I understand not being paid for work is rough. I've been there.
I also understand not everyone can save money for hard times.

You said it best, and that is what I don't understand.
"they are there the money is not"

Would you keep working a job that you aren't getting paid for?

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

it is a cop out
they agreed to be at work at a certain time for a certain time in exchange for being paid a certain amount at a certain time.

they are there
the money is not

they are not being paid. i am not talking about in the future.
talking right now

it does not matter how you all spin and twist or minimize or say its their fault.

it is what it is.
and they are not currently being paid.

You do know that they are aware that a government shutdown can happen at anytime when they were interviewed, right?

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

By your logic, Unless you're receiving deposits to your checking account every minute while you're on the job, you're working without being paid in between those once-a-minute deposits.

not at all
read it again

if i accept a job on the condition i be paid every other week on thursday then that is what needs to happen.
if i do not get paid every other thursday then i am not being paid.

it is very simple

Then we differ on what the definition of "being paid" means.

That's fine, and understandable, given human nature.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

i see the shutdown kind of like a union strike.
every employee knows these events happen from time to time. shutdowns happen regardless of the political party of the sitting president. it is the employee's responsibility to adequately prepare for such occasions.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Either the speaker/author is attempting to over-hype the government shut-down, or they really are too dumb to know that government workers will be paid retroactively, once the government re-opens.

I had no idea that was something that had to be spelled out. It should go without saying they’ll eventually be paid. The issue is, when?

Trump has threatened to keep the country shut down for months to years. Getting paid eventually doesn’t mean anything if eventually doesn’t come.

Well apparently the people not getting paid mean much to the Nancy Shumer. They could end it easily. Why don't they?

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
If it is such a big deal then the Dems need to get off the party on the beach and start negotiating a compromise with Trump to open the gov.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

people living outside their means does not make it acceptable to not pay them on schedule for work completed.

it is a crappy cop out

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I'm not sure any federal workers missed a pay period in previous shutdowns.

During the 2013 shutdown, paydays were missed. Lots of complaints and suits filed.

From Oct 11, 2013: articles.latimes.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
If it is such a big deal then the Dems need to get off the party on the beach and start negotiating a compromise with Trump to open the gov.

Are they still at their Puerto Rico retreat?!?!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I can't figure out how come some people think they are being forced to work without pay? I have heard someone personally say that and I told them they will get paid, but they did not believe me because of what the news is saying.

This whole country is based on deceit, lying or distorting facts is happening everywhere and is accepted by people as normal. We have a major problem forming here, everything usually crumbles when that kind of thing happens.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
2 or 3 months with no income? They must get a pretty big check when they do get paid.

In some cases. Depends on what medical procedure(s) were completed.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If you look at this from a broader perspective. The blame will be on trump and the GOP and people will remember; especially the people that had to wait and wait for their checks.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join