It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Capitulating Class

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Almost too much has been said about the burgeoning outrage culture, that always-woke but always-offended class of people who exert what little power they have by submitting others to routine thought and speech policing both online and off.

The outrage culture is populated by the most privileged, and at the same time, most coddled individuals to have existed in human history. Their outrage and suffering tends to be triggered by the sights and sounds of human conversation, and not much else. For that they should be embarrassed.

But we should all be embarrassed, because there is a class of people who would much rather wilt beneath the weight of their own trepidation instead of standing up to and laughing at these posturing milksops. It’s not that the politically correct, whiny, and self-concerned mob has any real strength or power. It’s just that those who do have power tend to acquiesce to the mob’s demands, essentially giving them the power they crave.

We risk perpetuating their injustices. When Nobel laureate Tim Hunt was stripped of his employment because an offended mob couldn’t take a silly joke, a real and true injustice was committed here. Whether through public relations or false indignation, his employers demanded his resignation. The mob got away with ruining a person's life. By not standing up to them, we are multiplying true injustices in attempt make up for the fake ones.

The outrage culture is the problem to begin with, certainly. But their power is forever limited to the arena of the complaint, which suits perfectly their consumer-orientated states of mind. But whether through annoyance or by public relations, someone eventually acquiesces to their foot-stomping. Their demands are almost always unreasonable, of course, but their methods are not, because with a little outrage, a few empty threats and some crocodile tears, they often get exactly what they want.

But then there are people like the president of the United States. Even the most cynical and fevered speech-policing couldn’t convince him to apologize for anything, let alone acquiesce to any of their demands. No Orwellian supervising of his gaffes, verbal transgressions, or mistruths has resulted in the capitulation they’ve always dreamed of. By merely refusing their outrage, he has revealed that their power is largely imaginary and not worth a damn.

And this is the approach we all need to practice. Whenever the outrage mob tries to go looking for heretics of speech and thought, all we need to is laugh in their faces and move on.

edit on 14-1-2019 by Propagandalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You are the first person to use the word triggered in a way that did not annoy me in a long time.

I will not be modeling myself to practice the unapologetic attitude of the president. I hold myself to a standard and am capable of admitting fault when there is a need.

I largely agree with what you have wrote. It is the most extreme that have their voices heard the loudest and I don't think they are representative of the people. They just yell louder. I really think people and businesses need to start telling people no again. Stop caving. You can't please everyone and some people don't deserved to be pleased.

This outrage culture has overshadowed actual problems and done less for the cause then they set out to do in the first place.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
You are the first person to use the word triggered in a way that did not annoy me in a long time.

I will not be modeling myself to practice the unapologetic attitude of the president. I hold myself to a standard and am capable of admitting fault when there is a need.

I largely agree with what you have wrote. It is the most extreme that have their voices heard the loudest and I don't think they are representative of the people. They just yell louder. I really think people and businesses need to start telling people no again. Stop caving. You can't please everyone and some people don't deserved to be pleased.

This outrage culture has overshadowed actual problems and done less for the cause then they set out to do in the first place.

Agreed. Most people, left and right, oppose political correctness. We need to shut them down. All we need do is ignore them.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

I whole heartedly agree with your sentment; these cretins should be ignored and I do ignore them or laugh in their faces at times. Possibly you and others do the same.

Problem is that these PC police types are the darlings of the MSM because........their outrage generates maximum "clicks", maximum attention. To enhance revenue, the MSM maximises coverage of their outrage and ruins people"s lives in the process.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

We should just beat the crap out of anyone who complains! Got it!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The buzz words like racist, homophobe, alt-right etc are losing their ability to control. Now people just roll their eyes at these words instead of being influenced by them. You aren’t a true free speech advocate unless the Left has thrown their words at you in an attempt to silence alternative view points.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

good thread

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf
Almost too much has been said about the burgeoning outrage culture, that always-woke but always-offended class of people who exert what little power they have by submitting others to routine thought and speech policing both online and off.

The outrage culture is populated by the most privileged, and at the same time, most coddled individuals to have existed in human history. Their outrage and suffering tends to be triggered by the sights and sounds of human conversation, and not much else. For that they should be embarrassed.

So, outraged about outrage culture huh?
edit on Mon Jan 14 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
The buzz words like racist, homophobe, alt-right etc are losing their ability to control. Now people just roll their eyes at these words instead of being influenced by them. You aren’t a true free speech advocate unless the Left has thrown their words at you in an attempt to silence alternative view points.

Do you get the "left" words thrown at you a lot in real life?

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: whargoul

originally posted by: Propagandalf

But we should all be embarrassed, because there is a class of people who would much rather wilt beneath the weight of their own trepidation instead of standing up to and laughing at these posturing milksops. It’s not that the politically correct, whiny, and self-concerned mob has any real strength or power. It’s just that those who do have power tend to acquiesce to the mob’s demands, essentially giving them the power they crave.

We risk perpetuating their injustices. When Nobel laureate Tim Hunt was stripped of his employment because an offended mob couldn’t take a silly joke, a real and true injustice was committed here. Whether through public relations or false indignation, his employers demanded his resignation. The mob got away with ruining a person's life. By not standing up to them, we are multiplying true injustices in attempt make up for the fake ones.

The outrage culture is the problem to begin with, certainly. But their power is forever limited to the arena of the complaint, which suits perfectly their consumer-orientated states of mind. But whether through annoyance or by public relations, someone eventually acquiesces to their foot-stomping. Their demands are almost always unreasonable, of course, but their methods are not, because with a little outrage, a few empty threats and some crocodile tears, they often get exactly what they want.

But then there are people like the president of the United States. Even the most cynical and fevered speech-policing couldn’t convince him to apologize for anything, let alone acquiesce to any of their demands. No Orwellian supervising of his gaffes, verbal transgressions, or mistruths has resulted in the capitulation they’ve always dreamed of. By merely refusing their outrage, he has revealed that their power is largely imaginary and not worth a damn.

And this is the approach we all need to practice. Whenever the outrage mob tries to go looking for heretics of speech and thought, all we need to is laugh in their faces and move on.

So, outraged about outrage culture huh?

I get outraged at true injustice. They get outraged at words. I can already guess who you run defence for.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

We should just beat the crap out of anyone who complains! Got it!

I wrote this thread specifically for those who could understand the language.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

I don't see any of this kind of BS other than on the news or internet. I guess I don't live in the right area to experience this kind of crap. Maybe I should travel to some other enlightened state or metropolis to see what you are talking about, first hand.

No, I think I can do without the experience. I'll just stay where I am and continue to just imagine the stupidity that exists elsewhere.

Ignorance of some things truly is bliss.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

The first time I bucked the system I was 16 years old. I realized at that age that just because someone is in a position of authority, it didn't make them truthful or right.

I have ever since been the one that won't go along just to get along, the first to speak up and say what is the truth, even when I know I will be standing alone, and always the first one to get their head chopped off.

I rarely feel outrage. Overcame that character glitch over 30 years ago. My children taught me you have to pick your battles and my mother taught me that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.
edit on 14-1-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word correction.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

I don't see any of this kind of BS other than on the news or internet. I guess I don't live in the right area to experience this kind of crap. Maybe I should travel to some other enlightened state or metropolis to see what you are talking about, first hand.

No, I think I can do without the experience. I'll just stay where I am and continue to just imagine the stupidity that exists elsewhere.

Ignorance of some things truly is bliss.

To be fair i live in one of those 'enlightened metropolises' and i still rarely hear things like the sjw crap you see on the internet.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I think it's all just internet tripe.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: dug88

I think it's all just internet tripe.

It is. The problem is, CEO’s, vast corporations and politicians—those in power—now use the internet to gauge public opinion. The sensible voices get lost behind the outrage.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

edit on 14-1-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Very well said and true, it's consumer culture cannibalizing itself.
People - what we say, what we do are all commodities, fuel for the morality police.
Those who dislike anything we might say or do begin by dehumanizing their target.
- The very thing the accused is thought guilty of.
Ironic, is it not?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: whargoul
No he is not outraged but said ignore or laugh in their face. You sir are a Communist plain and simple by defense of these Stalinist type tactics. Sorry for you. Must be miserable to want others to be miserable with you.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

I'm sorry for you, too!

Stalinist type tactics

That's right! All those dead Trotsky accounts, and the Gulags they constantly build on this very site, make a mere co-existence unbearable.
Gotta enjoy the same old platitude-fueled topics from the new old Propagandalf though. And with all this hysteria surrounding a bunch of carefully summoned demons and myths to radicalize yourselves with, I'm having a hard time to figure who's having the last laugh here.

Wait! No, I'm not.

That or he gave them what they craved for in case "they" is the corporate MSM. Actually, he delivers what's easy and profitable and thus I can't fathom a Mr. Presents that could strive without their power to invoke this repetitive madness.
Here's an interesting quote I stumbled upon yesterday, maybe we all should read up on Hannah Arendt (again).

“In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.”

Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

top topics

<<   2 >>

join