It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexual content in ATS chat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Five members were banned from our chat after reviewing the logs. This ban is permanent and not open to review or unbanning; ever.

ATS Chat is subject to the same Terms & Conditions as the ATS Board. Form this point forward, any such content observed in chat will result in banning of your account from all ATS boards , no warnings, no excuses.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Seems a little extreme to ban somebody (neverming 5 somebodies) from using the boards just because they get a little randy... How bad was it?

I know ATS asks members not inquire about other members who got banned, but surely ATS wouldn't just ban a long time, important, well respected and well liked member just because they engaged in a little risque banter?? Or was it much worse than a little risque?

I mean, that's like executing the premier of China when he gets off the plane in the UK because he didn't wipe his feet...

I doubt any further information will be provided, as ATS tends to run a rather closed ship to prevent mutinies, but I am quite curious as to why the rules were so steadfastly enforced in this case in particular.

Would the board really degenerate into a cyber sex playground if not for these rules? I don't think so, but I've been known to be wrong before. Again, I ask, was it really that bad?

Were the members new, or old? I hope I didn't lose any of my favorite debate buddies..

Good people are so hard to find, I hope you didn't boot the gems to coddle the slag SO.
(BTW I have an enormous amount of respect for the job performed by you and the mods. I'm just sorry I missed it, the conversation must have been spicy!:cool

Why does sexually suggestive material get an automatic ban, while other behaviors that are more offensive (at least in my opinion) draw little more than a warn, and a yawn?? Is sex really that offensive these days? I happen to like sex.

Tangents abound...

In the end, I just hope no well-liked, contributing members caught the boot. Maybe somebody can reassure me?

Edited: Wait, I just re-read SO's post, and he says the members were banned from chat. Only chat? Can they still contribute to the boards? If so, that's fine. Keep the randy little monkeys from the play room, and they can still contribute meaningfully to our discussions. I'm not sure if this was the case or not.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There's logs?!!?
Is ATS is in league with Big Brother?

No really, I think this is a great idea and a brilliant deterrent. More sites should keep a closer eye on the ongoings of their chatrooms.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have not seen the ATS Chat Room in an ant's eon.

Has anyone seen the smut in the "Rate the Michael Jackson joke above you" thread?

[edit on 27-2-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm sure ATS wants to have some dignity. If anyone has the need to talk "sex" they should go to www.whatsyourpleasure.com.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just out of interest, are private messages logged?

[edit on 27-2-2005 by mickmeaney]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
masked
what are you talking about? The title of the thread in question is "Rate the Michael Jackson Joke Above You." ?? That's a odd title for a thread...Is it a running list of new jokes, to be rated and 'upped' by the next poster? Sounds like a fun idea, but I imagine the material is..tasteless at best. MJ jokes tend to follow the same guidelines as Pee Wee Herman jokes.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mickmeaney
Just out of interest, are private messages logged?

No, they are not. ATS repsects the privacy of its members.

-J

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
masked
what are you talking about? The title of the thread in question is "Rate the Michael Jackson Joke Above You." ??

Funny to some, tasteless to others, certainly in the smut/innuendo category.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows

No, they are not. ATS repsects the privacy of its members.

-J

That's fantastic. Now, do we get to read the offending posts?

j/k

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Whatever they said must have been pretty sordid for Skeptic to dish out permanent bans. I've never heard of such a thing happening before.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Whatever they said must have been pretty sordid for Skeptic to dish out permanent bans. I've never heard of such a thing happening before.

I think once banned from chat it's for good, no matter how small the offense...at least the last time I heard anyway.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
I think once banned from chat it's for good, no matter how small the offense...at least the last time I heard anyway.

I assume then that people banned from chat are not also automatically banned from ATS forums.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So were they only banned from chat? I think that would be the sensible thing to do. People can get carried away sometimes when chatting. Anyone missing any friends from the boards? I never use the chat feature myself, so if people are banned from there I couldn't care less. It would pain me to lose input from otherwise productive members however, just because they let their libido driven fingers do some walking in flash chat.

I guess it must have been severe, but how randy could it possibly have been?

Or do I not want to know?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I assume then that people banned from chat are not also automatically banned from ATS forums.

I believe that to be the right assumption, dunno for certain though.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ooops...

[edit on 2005/2/27 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yeah I am one of the members banned...but I'm also on Global Ignore I think so none of you can see this, if you can please tell me but I'm sure you can't I'm sure the mods can...oh well

sniff sniff

Edit: Also I think it's all my fault..the other 4 should get unbanned...It's really all my fault...

Edit 2: I was on global ignore, it's really scary, you can see everyone but no one can see you. I think I should be banned from Chat, I got and always get carried away...but I think it's my fault. the Other 4 should be freed...

[edit on 27-2-2005 by 00PS]

[edit on 27-2-2005 by 00PS]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
You aren't on global ignore. I can see your post. So you're one of the banned.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I can see just fine 00PS, I guess that clears that one up.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join