It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian 707 crashes into residential area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
An IRIAF 707, inbound from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan landed at the wrong airport in Northern Iran, and crashed into a residential area. There was one survivor from the aircraft. No word on ground casualties. The aircraft was reportedly bringing meat for the Iranian Army. They were scheduled to land at Payam International Airport in Karaj, which has a 12,000 foot runway. Instead they attempted to land at Fath Aerodrome, which has a 4200 foot runway.

www.aerotime.aero...

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oops. Might get aa C-130 in there but a fully loaded 707?

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Looks somewhat intact not even a lot of fire damage in what you can see so far.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

It's not the first time. An airliner last year made three approaches into Fath before realizing their mistake and landing at Payam.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

There is and isn't. The fuselage broke apart. The middle section looks largely intact, the aft fuselage burned pretty badly, and no sign of the cockpit/forward fuselage.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Really? Do they use avionics or the ole maual IFR method( I Follow Roads).

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Considering some of the ones we've had here, it's not overly surprising. I'll have to look deeper but if the runway heading is the same and they're close enough, even with ILS it could happen.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Happens a lot everywhere.

Generally guys catch it on final ("this doesn't look quite right"). Usually doesn't make the news. But a C-17-- or overrun into a neighborhood -- is hard to hide.

ETA: only about 10 km between the two sites. Payam is runway is 30. Flight attempted 31L at Fath.

AETA: layout is basically identical if you look at the sat views. Single runway. Structures on the SE just beyond the threshold.
edit on 14-1-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here is probably the definitive list of larger planes landing at the WRONG airport. It has happened to many pilots who thought it couldn’t happen to them.

I suspect it has happened many times to military aircraft as well with less publicity.

Enjoy.....

RcTeller

Land at the RIGHT place
!!

edit on 14-1-2019 by rcteller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Man, thats gotta be one sinking bad feeling when you got it on the ground and realize you messed up and arent going to be able to get it stopped in time.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Considering some of the ones we've had here, it's not overly surprising. I'll have to look deeper but if the runway heading is the same and they're close enough, even with ILS it could happen.

Not if you fly a coupled approach to DH (decision height) or MDA. That point is about 200 feet above ground and a quarter mile from the touchdown point. All US domestic airlines require this procedure for instrument approaches. There has not been a CFIT on approach or undershoot accident since. Wrong airport landing incidents happen with visual approaches in good weather.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Uh huh Sh!t... this is gonna hurt

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Heard a story during WW2 a Dehav Mosquito landed on a taxiway at night by mistake.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Yep C-17 short of Macdill!!!!.. yep! My rear sucked fabric.😨😨😨
Shortest braking + landing I ever seen!
m.youtube.com...

Still think it was a dare.. 2012 was the year i realized that bird was the perfect wing and engine design.

edit on 14-1-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Mattis was on board to make it even more embarrassing for the flight crew.

The math on getting her out was probably even more exciting, but the take off isn't very dramatic. As I recall they unloaded everything possible and gave her just enough gas to make the couple extra miles to MacDill.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Yes there is video of that too... Gen. Mattis was onboard? Wow.

edit on 15-1-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i wonder when the aviation sphere will collectively say enough is enough of these third/second world flights over populated areas until they can get certified by a country that has a proven track record of safe flying practices of everyone from the ground to the pilot's seat.

as more and more places that are coming of finacial age in the world buying and flying commercial flights over residential areas should be put on hold or not allowed to fly in that country, or at the very least over civilian/residential areas.

how in gods name did the iranians think they could get away with 2/3's less run way?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Uh, sure. We'll just tell Iran it isn't allowed to fly anymore. That'll be that, I'm sure.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Right, because it's Iran's fault and not the flight crew for landing at the wrong airport. That never happens anywhere else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join