It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pale Blue Dot - Chapter 2: Humility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I haven't seen this posted and thought some here might enjoy it. I found it fascinating, easy to understand and well produced.

In development for the better part of ten years, the "official" follow-up to the original 2007 "Pale Blue Dot: Wanderers" is finally finished and has escaped into the wild. Some time before he died in 1996, Carl Sagan recorded a partial audio version of his 1994 book "Pale Blue Dot". Often described as the "sequel" to Cosmos, the audio version of Pale Blue Dot is, happily, back in print, with some portions apparently having been re-recorded.

This video represents an "episode two" of sorts, a suggestion for a second chapter in an evolving interpretation of Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot". In this second episode, Sagan examines much more closely several of the ideas he touched on in the previous chapter, particularly mankind's never-ending struggle against self-delusion, and how this adversely affected humanity's view of the world for many centuries. This series deliberately hearkens back to the feel of classic BBC/PBS documentary series, such as "Ascent of Man" and "Cosmos", "Life on Earth", and the rest.

I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Great video, educational as well as entertaining

To be alive (10:40 in vid) when it was proposed how the heavans above were potentially made up of atoms just like ours and therefore possibilities of planets/life elsewhere must have been incredulous.

How come these guys knew the world was round back then
yet since NASA opened the world went flat and we been getting lied to ever since

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I am not well versed in the subject matter but older civilisations managed to deduce many things. Distance to the moon and the sun, the speed of light, etc.

This may answer some of your questions. Other ATS'ers are more knowledgeable on this subject.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Thought provoking and profound along with humor...wonderful!

Though there are many who disagree, I do not for a moment think that we are alone in this vast universe and believe that life must exist elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Being English (and possibly moving countries) I was aware of Carl Sagan but had never seen him on TV. I like his gentle, unassuming delivery of facts that a 5 year-old can understand. (When it comes to many subjects, my understanding is less than that of a 5 year-old.)

I think I posted it too early for most ATS members to see the thread but perhaps some will find it buried somewhere in the days/weeks to come.

I doubt there is much new here for people familiar with Carl and his TV shows but it seemed like a good summary of where our current scientific understanding is heading.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Thanks for posting that video - fascinating content and very important viewing for everyone.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

new topics

top topics

join