It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My in-laws said something to me last night...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I actually did say that, but did so in a way that subtlety called them out. I said my enjoyment in life comes from being able to go on a hike without getting winded, going shopping without needing a motorized cart, getting through the day without taking a ton of medication, and knowing I have a great chance of never losing a limb to diabetes. 3 of them at the table have diabetes.

My wife casually made a joke that transitioned well to a different subject.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Imagine having a 80% diabetes rate. Everyone is touched by it. You have youngsters having feet amputated - all through poor diet.

The Samoa's are a perfect example as the changes to diet are so recent, there is plethora of undisputable data. Various health organisations have cottoned on and added there own research there and they all come to the same conclusions - in other words it is fact rather than scients pushing an agenda.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Assassin82
The question they posed to me was...”where do you draw the line between quality of life and enjoying life”. This really pissed me off. Here’s why:

It "pissed you off"? You poor baby. They would never have said that had you not been obvious with your disdain of their eating habits. There's nothing I detest more than people who are self-righteous about food. What an insufferable prig you must be at dinners. It's just like vegans. You don't have to ask if they are because they'll tell you. Nobody likes people with a superior judgmental attitude. I'm quite sure they are rolling their eyes as much as you are.

I like it when people get all puffy online. It shows a great deal about what kind of person they are.

I guess watching people treat themselves so poorly that they would choose to live a dreadful life of medication administration and become reliant on others to take care of themselves because of their own poor choices isn’t something I want people I care about to endure nor do I want to endure the unintended consequences of it with them.

I don’t judge, I do try to educate. In fact, if you’d read it correctly you would have seen that I was the one being judged, kind of as you are now also judging me. I was subtlety mocked for trying to encourage and modestly educate healthy living. I apologize for offending you so badly....not like a real apology though, just one that’s as fake as internet flexing.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

When it was asked "where do I draw the line between quality of life and enjoyment of life"....I'd have said...
"Oh, I'm gonna be enjoying it long after you're gone!"...and I'd be smilin' away!...

Or something like "my quality of life is allowing me to enjoy life a whole lot longer...than some people. Want me to pass you more salt?"

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
you ate at a brinker restaurant and you had the fish ... that's like food Russian roulette

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
you ate at a brinker restaurant and you had the fish ... that's like food Russian roulette

Salmon is usually a safe bet, at least in my experiences.
edit on 14-1-2019 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

It was my sister-in-laws birthday dinner at a nice Italian restaurant

Maybe it was like what People feel about us non drinkers, you are not celebrating with them in their view.

I drink a non alcoholic drink and am fine with what anyone else wants to do I don't preach top anyone else.
But the celebration thing seems important to many people, that you join in and endulge..

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: IAMTAT
The last time I was in a Maggianos...was for the bar.
I seem to remember a good martini.

Hard to screw up booze.

You've obviously never had a badly-made $15 martini.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
You've obviously never had a badly-made $15 martini.

Good point.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Judgey McJudge Pants.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

God help me, I love my mother, but she was my biggest motivator to never let myself fall into the trap you describe.

I'm sitting up the upper end of healthy weight for my height now with a healthy BMI.

But at the same time, I do understand what they told you too. I love my food. I love it too much to never ever indulge in a small portion of things like fettucine alfredo or (what we had last Friday) some wings from the local wing stop with one of their house made sauces.

I've just made my peace with the realization that you can't save people. They have to save themselves, and there is only one way to do it and most people don't have the necessary willpower -- you have to change your lifestyle, top to bottom, when it comes to how you approach your food. My husband and I did, but we realized only afterward, that we had been laying the groundwork to do it for years, and looking back, those changes would have been a huge task had we tried to do them all at once.

Most folks can't make that big step unless they're forced to it, and many not even then. My brother-in-law's family is an excellent example of that. They have diabetes, and they can't manage it. Most are missing toes from it and several have been hauled into the ER in diabetic crisis over the years. One is especially bad off being diabetic, alcoholic, and a drug addict all rolled into one.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It is difficult to try to tell people to change their diet, they resist changing away from the things they like. Sometimes what they crave in a food is a chemistry they actually need, but often the other chemistries cause them problems. Trying to identify the chemistry you need in a food is not easy, then finding out which chemistries you are intolerant to is not easy. High blood pressure can come from something a person is eating that they are sensitive to. Something they are somehow allergic to because one of the chemicals triggers a histamine response. Remember histamines give us energy by stimulating our energy systems. Too much is no good, the result can damage organs and skin and tissues in our bodies. Too little is not good, you cannot get anything you want done done. A happy medium is the way to go.

Lots of the foods they spout as healthy actually can trigger histamines, tomatoes can cause all kinds of problems to people who cannot detox some of the chemistries. But a slice of tomato for an intolerant person can boost up histamine to slam a possible infection that is starting to take hold, event he flu. Cinnamon boosts your immune system, but if you have the balsam of peru allergy it can cause overexcitement of the system from the benzoic acid it turns into and your body will overreact to things if overconsumed.

Those are just a few examples. Some people lack enzymes to take apart fiber from plants and raw plants then can cause problems with the guts, causing beezoars if overconsumed. So some people like the white bread because whole grains bother them. The nutritionists in this country need to get interested in what happens if someone joins the new Fad Health diet. Innitially they may feel better than six months to a year down the road they start feeling crappy or crabby. Pretty soon they need to take medicines, just a different kind of medicines.

Identify what you are allergic to and what metabolic intolerances are, it takes time, but once you start to eliminate some of this, your brain will get less foggy and it is easier to evaluate things.

By the way OP. Some plant lectins can actually promote clots and strokes, you need to balance lectin intake with anti-clotting chemistry. So with that salad, have a little onions on it, cheese also can cause platelet agglutination too. A little knowledge is dangerous, a lot of knowledge just makes you need to learn more.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Judgey McJudge Pants.

Hey, if people want to scarf down tortellini alfredo by the plateful and guzzle Mountain Dew that's their deal. I like real food.

edit on 14-1-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Mountain Dew and Moon Pies!!!!!

🤮

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
"Where do you draw the line between quality of life and enjoying life?"

The question is faulty because it attempts to contrast two descriptions of the same concept. Generally speaking, 'quality of life' implies GOOD quality of life--which leads to enjoyment of life.

I think what your in-laws' intended point was, "how far are you willing to go before you stop doing what you know will improve and maintain good health, and just do what makes you feel good right now this moment?"

The 'right now this moment' is why so many people are addicted to fast food, and why so many are fat. It's also why diseases caused and/or exacerbated by obesity, consumption of foods containing excessive sugar and fat, and a sedentary lifestyle are so prevalent.

Try not to be mad about this. It's like being angry at someone that likes to smoke. If you care about them, you can be frustrated and concerned for their health, but ultimately they have to live (and probably die early) of the consequences of the choices they make.

They choose to remain aboard the sinking ship, and you're already in a lifeboat. Trying to convince them to join you before the water is up to their knees is futile. And when their kneecaps start to drown, it will be too late for them to escape. They'll go down with the ship.
edit on 14-1-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: Reasons

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't get me wrong, I love a few wings and some beer. I love a big, greasy burger. But I also know there are too many consequences to what is the common theme in the responses, a lack of moderation. I did not do well over the holidays. Between finals, my son being here and wanting to go do things with him, family dinners, candy and deserts everywhere and the complete lack of time to prepare for it otherwise....December was the worst month of eating I've had in sometime. But I don't regret it.

I mean, I did get a stomach flu by the end of the month, I did gain weight, I did feel like crap throughout it and was constantly groggy, but I didn't want to be an uptight d-bag who rains on the holidays. I enjoyed it. But, that was my moderation for a long, long time. Already lost the weight, already feeling better.

For me, I grew up eating meats and greens. Meats my family and I procured on our own through hunting and greens my Dad grew in his garden. Occasionally we would dabble in fast food or Dodger Dogs in Los Angeles, but not often. Back then, people still ate at the dinner table but admittedly less and less as my generation came to age. My son's generation; I can't get him to spend time learning how to use a knife let alone cook a meal that's not in a box or thrown in the microwave.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Allow me to clarify:

I wasn't the instigator. It came up when someone said "There's Assassin82, eating all healthy as always". It was a subtle little jab...poking a little fun. But then came the question where I felt as though I was being shamed in some way.

I don't go out of my way to point out the negative aspects of what people are eating, but when conversation comes up I do try to tell people what works for me, what science I know, and the stats that back it up. Our obesity and diabetes rates in America are embarrassingly high. There's a reason for that....a reason that can easily be avoided.

I don't call people fat. When I see an obese person in the gym....whether I know them or not....I couldn't be more proud of them for trying. Whether they're working hard or hardly working...they're there and trying! I'll go out of my way to say a simple..."hey...keep up the hard work!" if it's appropriate.

I have obese family members and I'm all about a freedom of choice society. You choose how you want to live your life and I most certainly am not one to say otherwise. But when my families dietary standards start to shame my standards, I get a little frustrated. When my wife and I have a kid of our own soon, there's going to be conflict. That kid is going to spend time with grandma and grandpa....but they better not feed him/her the wrong kind of stuff....or I will grind my teeth so bad!! lol

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Look at the Michelle Obama school lunch program. They made it less healthy because not many kids want to eat that stuff. I went through school on Twinkies and orange juice for lunch. I'm still here.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I grew up on fast food because mom hated to cook. I was constantly called picky because I never liked fast food. I still don't really like burgers and fries, although I will eat homemade fries ... something changes about a potato's taste when you freeze it ...

But I learned as I gained my own life that real flavor is either found in expensive restaurants or little mom and pop dives you have to dig out of the woodwork or you cook it yourself.

I got off the soda and it changed my palette even more.

And I'm different than a lot of people too. I eat for the taste and not to just feel full.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Tell them there is no line between quality of life and enjoying life. When your quality of life is good (from exercise, eating healthy, etc) then you enjoy life!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join