It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a wall act as a "second border"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Suppose an actual wall is built along America's Southern border.

What if we built it say 200 yards inside the actual line? So by the time you reach the wall, you've already broken the law.

Could we pass a law making any attempt to breach said wall into a crime unto itself? A second crime, in addition to unlawful crossing?

Then we can arrest people for committing a specific, criminal, act. (As opposed to merely being located somewhere illegally.) Instead of catching and releasing, those people would actually go to prison for some time.

As a political strategy, do you think that is viable?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You know, I think your onto something here, the wall can be two hundred feet inside the border, a fence and signs can be on the border itself along with all sorts of sharp spikes, crocodiles in a moat, and pirrhanas with the crocodiles.

Technically someone illegally entering the border fence could be shot if they had weapons, that is a good thought you had.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
NO!

It defeats the purpose.

Lets say you do that, so you arrest poor John and Jane as they cross the border and illegally enter into the States then walk the 200 yards up to the wall and you arrest them.

Well then they have been arrested and as such must be processed under American jurisdiction, even if that was to mean deportation you would need to go through a whole system to provide a legal frame work to do that and that would take time. Meaning that poor John and Jane are going to be spending time on American soil awaiting deportation back to Mexico.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Ha thats actually smart. Because what if Mexico decides to just build stairs on their side?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Ha thats actually smart. Because what if Mexico decides to just build stairs on their side?

Would that not be amazing!!

If just too piss off Trump the Mexicans built stairs all along the wall and put ropes over the other side for people to climb down safely.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

If just too piss off Trump the Mexicans built stairs all along the wall and put ropes over the other side for people to climb down safely.

I would laugh yes.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
this is bad as the freaking bathroom law business....
it's already "illegal" to cross the border, right? so a wall inside your border, does that make it double illegal?

what if, instead of all this contorting to try and make your walls work better, we faced the fact that a border is always a fallacious, porous, imperfect construction, and maybe put that energy that's being directed into hedging us all apart towards making things better for everyone? if everyone is happy and healthy, if there are no zombies, you don't gotta fortify the shopping mall, and then you get to enjoy the outside world as well

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Im thinking of a meme with a migrant caravan rolling a huge staircase through the desert.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Im thinking of a meme with a migrant caravan rolling a huge staircase through the desert.

No, catapults, massive catapults you put a Mexican on one and have a massive trampoline on the other side of the wall and they just fly over it and land safely.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
That’s a good idea. I think adding some prison time might help make breaking our laws more painful. Right now it is barely an inconvenience to the criminals.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Pure Genius .... We can do whatever we want. Make it so...

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

I don't see much point to your idea. Entering the country illegally is already a crime. The idea behind the wall is to keep them out, not to add more people to our already overcrowded prison system.

Making the wall well within the border is practical, but I don't think it helps to make it "extra illegal" to sneak into the country.

Maybe a more effective solution would be to make it harder for the people caught to repeat their offense. Instead of just sending them back across the border, send them to another continent. Lot's of countries tell us we should be more accepting of illegal immigrants, so maybe they would take them in. Drop them off in England, Australia, the Vatican, Germany, etc. They won't be walking back from that.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
We have to dig a 50ft deep trench spanning the entire distance of the U.S. Mexico border. The steel phallices that we're building the wall with need to be 50ft taller when we erect and insert them. This is to thwart any several mile long tunnels like the ones our forces destroyed recently after heavy fighting with the cartel gunmen. There's thought to be tunnels up to 100 miles long into the border states.
edit on 1/13/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Pure Genius .... We can do whatever we want. Make it so...

I'm also thinking a moat to. That way we could have sharks with laser beams.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

There is a law that says if you build a wall or fence inside a neighbours property and it stays there for "x" ??? years without dispute, you then own that land.

Dunno if this applies to international borders but it applies to property in my country.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
That’s a good idea. I think adding some prison time might help make breaking our laws more painful. Right now it is barely an inconvenience to the criminals.

Ummm...I agree...just place those prisons...on the Mexican side of the wall...

Win...Win...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

phallices?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
this is bad as the freaking bathroom law business....
it's already "illegal" to cross the border, right? so a wall inside your border, does that make it double illegal?

The idea is that cutting a hole in the wall or messing with the barbed wire on top of it would be an offense unto itself. Something that is illegal even if you have a legitimate visa.

So you've committed a very minor crime if you cross the border. But you've committed a much bigger crime if you actually try to defeat the wall.

We don't have to wait for you to get out a saw and start cutting before we can deport you. But if you do start cutting, we can put you in prison.

Kind of a back door to criminalizing illegal entry, but only if you damage the wall.

what if, instead of all this contorting to try and make your walls work better, we faced the fact that a border is always a fallacious, porous, imperfect construction, and maybe put that energy that's being directed into hedging us all apart towards making things better for everyone? if everyone is happy and healthy, if there are no zombies, you don't gotta fortify the shopping mall, and then you get to enjoy the outside world as well

By your definition ALL property or territory laws are silly.

It's not theft if someone makes off with my car. It never should have been exclusively mine in the first place!!!

All cars should be shared equally!!!

It's no different for me to share my country with people who have jacked up theirs. Mexico has all the natural resources America has. If its people weren't stupid, they would be EVERY bit as rich as America is now.

But they are stupid. They vote in corrupt politicians because they can't understand that their vote matters, and don't bother to study the issues before they vote. They let their police walk all over them because they don't understand that it only takes one crooked cop to ruin a whole department.

People that stupid deserve what they get. (And people stupid enough to let them ruin what we have deserve to have to live in Mexico.)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I'm not even saying that out of ignorance.

The fact is, at one time I actually admired Mexican culture. I was impressed with how hard Mexican workers worked, and so I studied Spanish.

... which opened the door for further communication. It's only after that door opened and I could hear all the conversations around me, talk politics a little, that I realized how stupid those people are.

new topics

top topics

join