It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Let's see...

The sun came up on time. Didn't do a lot of good though; it's cold.

My son is having to look for another job, and he had a trip to a national park planned after Christmas that fell through.

The TV still works.

The sun went down on time. That sucked, because it's even colder than before.

We still have Internet and phone service.

I read that there are less TSA agents at the airport. I might get to take a trip somewhere sometime if that trend keeps up.

The stores are still open.

I am hearing all the REEEEE over the shutdown, but I would be hearing it over something anyway... two scoops of ice cream maybe.

All in all, not that much has changed. I'm not sure what the big fuss is really about. Can we build the wall now?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

That's not entirely accurate. Border Patrol agents are salaried based on their salary position grade. They will not see overtime pay until the shutdown ends, but their salaries for the year were included in the budget that was passed and signed funding 75% of the government budget months ago. Non salaried, hourly wage positions aren't getting paychecks currently... but I think those are largely support positions, not agent positions.

That said, if the agency does experience understaffing during the shutdown, then it just means a brief period of border porosity the likes of which we had during Bush and especially Obama. The influx of illegals will bolster support for the Wall even more in border states and hunting the thugs down after funding is restored and the Wall is being worked on will generate a boom period for BP Agents during which they'll make money hand over fist.

Again, it's ALL good. Or at least it will be soon.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
People who rely on foodstamps... will have less food, next month.

People who rely on government assistance for rent & living costs (like heat & electricity)... will be unable to pay rent & bills next month (or even this month, since IDK if it went through or not).

Airplanes in general, are not being inspected for safety measures... so all of our country's airplanes are less safe than they were, before the shutdown, and they will become increasingly unsafe, the more they're used without safety inspections.

...So that's what comes to mind, for me, re: who the shutdown has affected. People who want airplanes to not fall out of the sky because some part was loose, and should have been inspected 3 weeks ago, for example.

And people that think it's important for people to have food and shelter. That's all...

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You would make a good politician.

I see what you did there-using the figure of 0.25 percent instead of using the fact that the world knows that the US has over 300 million citizens, so .025 percent would amount to...nearly a million breadwinners, many with children so there is no wool being pulled over our eyes in the world that is not America.

I dare you, send your address to these laid down workers, but I can't assure you there won't be pitchforks. All because some of you folk voted for a manchild who throws a temper tamptrum who blames the "leftards" for not voting for the funding for the wall and may I remind you of Trump's claim of making the Mexicans pay for it.

"I will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it' remember those words.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Confirmed: Less TSA at Newark today then there was last Thursday which was less than there was last Monday.

At this rate there wont be any TSA left by next week. No fear though ladies, I'll be selectively manning the body scanner.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: peacefulpete
Airplanes in general, are not being inspected for safety measures... so all of our country's airplanes are less safe than they were, before the shutdown, and they will become increasingly unsafe, the more they're used without safety inspections.

All the major airlines have very stringent safety protocols which they've implemented and follow on their own. There aren't a gaggle of FAA or NTSB inspectors running around checking each aircraft prior to departure. If you think that or read that somewhere it's erroneous.

From the FAA:

For the FAA, this affects 17,791 positions that are not involved in the excepted “life and safety” positions.

edit on 14-1-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Confirmed: Less TSA at Newark today then there was last Thursday which was less than there was last Monday.

At this rate there wont be any TSA left by next week. No fear though ladies, I'll be selectively manning the body scanner.

Enter the F.B.I jokes.

That's an up at least, where I come from I can use my backpack to carry groceries, but in an international airport suddenly a bobby pin is a terrorist related device where the security personnel find a orifice you never knew existed.

Safe travels-I just hope you aren't inconvenienced enough that they don't see your tooth brush as a weapon to infiltrate Fort Knox.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
Safe travels-I just hope you aren't inconvenienced enough that they don't see your tooth brush as a weapon to infiltrate Fort Knox.

I'm good, I don't even wait on line for my TSA prostate exam, I get to cut to the front.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I work in D.C. and traffic has been pleasantly light.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Lol, you sound like the captain of the titanic. a reply to: burdman30ott6

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

All the major airlines have very stringent safety protocols which they've implemented and follow on their own. There aren't a gaggle of FAA or NTSB inspectors running around checking each aircraft prior to departure. If you think that or read that somewhere it's erroneous.

From the FAA:

For the FAA, this affects 17,791 positions that are not involved in the excepted “life and safety” positions.

I've watched several news videos featuring TSA employees who are not being paid, and are working for free, and / or also calling in sick, and / or just not going to work. TSA employees are holding protests outside airports around the country.

TSA employees have stated that yes, there are regular day-to-day plane inspections which are not being followed during the shutdown. Which makes our entire country's air travel less safe.

I'll trust the actual federal employees' words on this one. Words and video statements, and sign holding, and protest holding outside airports around the country.

Also I didn't even mention the compromised passenger safety checks.

As annoying as it is, we actually should be checking passengers to avoid weapons etc.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Oh yes, I know people hurting thanks to this.

One of my immediate neighbors has a son in the CG, no income right now. They'd have a cushion, if they weren't helping keep retired mom & dad on my street afloat in their broke & medically screwed old age. Who didn't plan for what now? Seriously, try commenting. If the kid had horded his money, he'd be a selfish dick. If he spends his disposable & savings on his parents, he's irresponsible for not thinking. He's going to be tarred one way or the other because naysayers WANT that.

I know another Coastie family in another state, known them for years. Also no income, and already in a financial pinch long term because of medical issues. This is NOT helping them by any means.

An old friend of ours back in FL works for TSA now. BIG change after coming out of an oppressive marriage with zero work history & no driver's license, she worked damn hard to get licensed & work something that paid better than just retail work. No cushion, no time to make one. From what she said, she can't even Uber her way through it in the interim thanks to the job contract restrictions.

Just because it doesn't impact thou doesn't mean it's not a hardship for others. That'd be like me saying "Your dad's got cancer? Too bad, so sad, who cares, it doesn't impact me."
Nobody's asking for mountains to be moved to make a miracle happen, just a smidgen of sympathy extended to be a decent human with.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Plus, just imagine how confusing it is for unpaid federal employees. If they won't get paid, why are they going to work?

Should they be doing their jobs for free? Or just staying home?

It sounds funny maybe lol, but these are thousands of people who don't know what to do with themselves each day, during the shutdown.

For example, should they be doing their unpaid job each day, or should they be working a new job instead?

Along those lines, what if they WANT to keep their TSA job? In THAT context, does that mean that they should work for free each day, in hopes of keeping their job, for hopefully making $$, in the future? While making no $$?

Or should they go get a job at McDonald's for $8 an hour, and therefore lose their better-paying TSA job?

Federal employees' lives are wrecked by the shutdown.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

The shutdown in 2013, which lasted 16 days, shaved 0.4 percent off GDP in the fourth quarter of 2013.

payments to government contractors are likely to be affected as well as home sales because of delays in federal loans. J.P. Morgan economists have already cut their first-quarter growth forecast by a quarter point to 2 percent because of the shutdown. Bank of America Merrill Lynch economists shaved 0.1 percentage point from fourth-quarter growth, bringing that forecast to 2.8 percent, due to the shutdown.

“While government workers will likely recoup their lost wages once the government opens, as they have in the past, the many government contract workers who are out of work because of the shutdown are unlikely to get back pay,” said S&P Global. “Workers who are living paycheck to paycheck will struggle to make ends meet the longer this goes on. As the standoff drags on, no paychecks are arriving to refill their savings, pay down credit card debt, make that mortgage payment, or pay their rent.”
Sour ce

The partial government shutdown will likely deliver a “big negative” to the first jobs report of 2019 and trigger a GDP decline, a senior economic adviser to President Donald Trump said Thursday.

The partial government shutdown will likely deliver a “big negative” to the first jobs report of 2019 and trigger a GDP decline, a senior economic adviser to President Donald Trump said Thursday.
Source

No biggie. Just hurts the GDP and economic well being of the United State of America...

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: peacefulpete

Along those lines, what if they WANT to keep their TSA job? In THAT context, does that mean that they should work for free each day, in hopes of keeping their job, for hopefully making $$, in the future? While making no $$?

Or should they go get a job at McDonald's for $8 an hour, and therefore lose their better-paying TSA job?

People have been in that situation since time began. Do you work at a job that pays little to nothing that you love, or take a job you hate which pays big bucks? Do you work for free now, in hopes of your labors bringing in money in the future? Every business owner has faced that decision.

It's not about not having sympathy... it's about understanding that life is full of choices, and not always are those choices easy or clear. That's just one of those things we cannot change.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Speaking of the tsa, here is one hot off the presses.

www.cbsnews.com...

Thanks tRump for making us less safe because you can’t check your ego. So much winning. MAGA.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I've watched several news videos featuring TSA employees who are not being paid, and are working for free, and / or also calling in sick, and / or just not going to work. TSA employees are holding protests outside airports around the country.

I hope that useless department evaporates.

TSA employees have stated that yes, there are regular day-to-day plane inspections which are not being followed during the shutdown. Which makes our entire country's air travel less safe.

The FAA says otherwise.

I'll trust the actual federal employees' words on this one.

Good, then trust the FAA.

Also I didn't even mention the compromised passenger safety checks.

As annoying as it is, we actually should be checking passengers to avoid weapons etc.

The TSA couldn't catch a cold if someone with tuberculosis tongue kissed them.

edit on 14-1-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

This has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with TSAs ongoing 95% failure rate.

Huffpo so you don't doubt it
edit on 14 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

Thanks, sOundguy, for stating the completely irrelevant:

The incident doesn't appear to have been related to the partial shutdown of the federal government.

The percentage of screeners calling in sick nationwide was the same on Wednesday, January 2, 2019 -- 5 percent -- as it was on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, when there was no shutdown.

TSA screeners spotted more than 4,000 firearms in carry-on bags in 2018 – nearly 300 in Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport alone.

The link you posted but didn't read

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

It will effect me personally when/if I don't get my income tax return back when I expected it.

It effects a friend of mine already.
A family man who has two kids and lives pay check to pay check.
The company he works for does work for the government somehow.
He said they lost a big contract because of the shut down. They already cut his hours and he fears that he will be one of the first to get fired if the shut down goes on any longer.

edit on 14-1-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join