It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Active duty military. Not effected at all.
None of the the civilian employees in my section are effected either.
Nor any reserve units I've had to work with, which was an issue during previous shutdowns. Seems they've fixed that part.

I'm now curious exactly what is shut down.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: queenofswords

I wonder why they only have this level of anguish for these people and not for anyone in the private sector who loses their jobs?

I mean for those of us in the untamed private sector, if we lose our jobs, it's not like we have to wait it out and then all of a sudden get back pay and our old jobs back. We have no security at all save what we make for ourselves.

I never see any of these names in here crying over how awful it much be to lose our jobs and have no security but to be out blowing in the wind hoping to fall into a new job before out time runs out. Nope, but they all cry endlessly over these poor slobs who have all kinds of job security, but likely don't have savings because of it.

I think there is a huge difference between the private sector and the government shutdown jobs.
They are not free to leave get another job. In the private sector you are. With some of the government jobs they still have to report to work, without pay. I don't know any private sector jobs that require that.

But in reality they are free to quit their job and seek employment in the private sector. In absolute terms, no one is a slave, they aren't physically restrained from making that choice.

Now, I realize the true aspects of your point. Many are "forced" to continue to seek government employment(in their best interest) because the private sector wouldn't offer anywhere close in wage to their actual income and benefits.

Really, you think a Coast Guard member can just leave and seek different employment....
www.winknews.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: carewemust

The U.S. is huge. 800,000 people you don't know, could vanish tomorrow and you wouldn't notice.

But you all supposedly care about the violence committed by *illegal* immigrants against people you don't know, right?

What makes that different?

What makes that different is that illegal immigrants kill about 2,000 of our citizens a year.

We I guess don't have to bring up all the other federal offenses.

Please link where Federal employees that are not getting paid are suddenly going on a massive killing spree?

Thank you for the link in advance.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: queenofswords

I wonder why they only have this level of anguish for these people and not for anyone in the private sector who loses their jobs?

I mean for those of us in the untamed private sector, if we lose our jobs, it's not like we have to wait it out and then all of a sudden get back pay and our old jobs back. We have no security at all save what we make for ourselves.

I never see any of these names in here crying over how awful it much be to lose our jobs and have no security but to be out blowing in the wind hoping to fall into a new job before out time runs out. Nope, but they all cry endlessly over these poor slobs who have all kinds of job security, but likely don't have savings because of it.

I think there is a huge difference between the private sector and the government shutdown jobs.
They are not free to leave get another job. In the private sector you are. With some of the government jobs they still have to report to work, without pay. I don't know any private sector jobs that require that.

But in reality they are free to quit their job and seek employment in the private sector. In absolute terms, no one is a slave, they aren't physically restrained from making that choice.

Now, I realize the true aspects of your point. Many are "forced" to continue to seek government employment(in their best interest) because the private sector wouldn't offer anywhere close in wage to their actual income and benefits.

Really, you think a Coast Guard member can just leave and seek different employment....
www.winknews.com...

I didn't think you were referencing military members. Outside of them, most every city, county, state or government worker is free to move on to a different job. I realize the military members are under contract of employment.
edit on 13-1-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Rest assured you'll still get your free prostate exam and a nice dose of radiation. You'll just get them by a grumpy agent who hasn't been paid, and who may have slept in their car the prior night because they couldn't afford the gas to commute. I'm sure they'll be extra gentle on that prostate.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage
a reply to: MisterSpock

Rest assured you'll still get your free prostate exam and a nice dose of radiation. You'll just get them by a grumpy agent who hasn't been paid, and who may have slept in their car the prior night because they couldn't afford the gas to commute. I'm sure they'll be extra gentle on that prostate.

To suggest that a TSA agent wasn't already, prior to the shutdown, doing the absolute poorest job they could as a government worker. Is very disrespectful to their abilities as a leech on the taxpayers.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

So they're slaves?!

If you take a government job, you sign your life over and cannot work at anything else ... ever?

Or do you mean that if they want to keep their government job (and most will because those jobs are pretty darn cushy with better pay and benefits than their private sector counterparts, but that's another discussion), they may have to keep working like anyone else, so it might be prudent for them to assume they might have to put away money for situations like these?

Just like a union employee might have put away money against a strike or temporary work stoppage.

**EDIT**

So you reference Coast Guard, but again, they should save against the unexpected like all the rest of us do. A shutdown is a real possibility just like losing one's job is.
edit on 13-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes if a person can't leave their job and aren't legally allowed to get another, I do consider that a form of slavery.
That is exactly the situation the Coast Guard is in.

So you reference Coast Guard, but again, they should save against the unexpected like all the rest of us do. A shutdown is a real possibility just like losing one's job is.

Yes I expect anyone of sound mind to save and be prepared military or civilian, however there are people that fall into the cracks.

You can join the coast guard at 17.
You think someone that age has enough saved up for a government shutdown?

I'm glad to see this community helping those that are struggling.
upnorthlive.com...
Community hosts fundraiser for Coast Guard members not being paid

This whole OP has the tone that Oh, I don't feel anything so everything must be all good and dandy. It isn't.

Also I don't belittle anyone that has a job, no matter how "cushy" as some say. At least they are working.

edit on 13-1-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Who says they're being belitted? The reality is that they have a degree of job security above and beyond what most of us have, many have benefits plusher than most of us have, and these are the only employees most people get their panties in a wad over when something goes sideways in their lives.

No one cares if my job goes sideways. I'm expected to pick my life up and carry on. You won't see politicians caring one tiny bit because I'm not a convenient political pawn.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I thought it might affect disability payments and other stuff from the VA. But it has not. Even if it did I would be fine. But that's just me.

There may be people who are being affected by a partial shutdown. But I haven't personally met anyone.
edit on 13 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I bet you that the illegals are flooding across the border in droves.

LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
All it’s done to me is show me the Dems are far worse than I thought- and that was pretty damn bad already. Benedict Arnold was a Patriot compared to Pelosi and Shumer

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

LOL

Border Patrol is getting paid, so they're not flooding across in any greater numbers than they normally do... once the Dems buckle and provide the funds for the Wall, and it is constructed, that issue will scale back considerably as well.
See, that's the beauty here... my ideologies win either way, either smaller government is proven effective or we finally get a barrier to preset illegal aliens from invading the southern border, it's a win all the way around.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Right now, have not noticed it yet, beyond the federal employees that are not getting paid. And if they miss too many paychecks, they may not wanting to return to work and find employment elsewhere. But right now there is only going to be a small blip.

From what I have seen and heard, many are not concerned about it. Even my boss was unawares of this, until I brought up, that if it continues for too long, it may affect the business. It is not Jan, that we will see any affect, but in Feb. That is when the money will run out and that is when the country will see the greatest impact.

However, what I am wanting to know is to know is how long can federal employees keep working without a paycheck, before they just up and quit. And affect the areas that should not be without people, like say air traffic control, prison guards, and other areas, that we don't really see or think about right now?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: chr0naut

LOL

Border Patrol is getting paid, so they're not flooding across in any greater numbers than they normally do... once the Dems buckle and provide the funds for the Wall, and it is constructed, that issue will scale back considerably as well.
See, that's the beauty here... my ideologies win either way, either smaller government is proven effective or we finally get a barrier to preset illegal aliens from invading the southern border, it's a win all the way around.

Border Security Workers Aren't Getting Paid Because Of A Government Shutdown Over Border Security - Task & Purpose

from the linked article:

Two unions have filed suit against the Trump administration so far, including the one that represents Customs and Border Protection officers.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Its called ignorance and selfishness!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   
HUH! Is the whole shutdown thing still going on? What has it been now a few days? It probably cost more for the government and people not getting there checks, then the whole 5 billion Trump wanted for the wall to begin with.

How stupid is that, and all because they could not come to a impasse. But hey, it is to be expected. But that is good to know this thing could have gone on for the past 20 years of shutdown, and I would not have noticed.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hasn't affected me any more than the "crisis" at the border.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This is finally one of those threads where you can say "ahhh but you're not from hear!"

Half of the citizens in the US don't pay taxes. God knows they piss and moan just like actual taxpayers.

So I'm sure you have an opinion you'd love to share with us here.

HA!

I do appreciate that but honestly its not affected me in anyway.

I am planning a visit to the states possibly later this year so it could impact my holiday plans if it goes on I guess.

The only thing travel related that's affected, to my knowledge, is the TSA.

An entire van full of TSA employees were in an Ohare remote lot smoking weed yesterday.

I'm sure it's unrelated but my luggage was lost at O'Hare...hmm..

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The airline I work for has had multiple aircraft sitting spare on ramps instead of flying the last few weeks when normally we have none sitting after the holidays are done. We get paid per flight completed so thats less money coming in for us. ATC also seems more lax then normal when talking over the radio. I know TSA has slowed down, MIA has shut down terminals due to it. So far we have not had any issues that require FAA approval, but if we did chances of an inspector being available are slim to none right now.

Basicly air travel is getting slowly choked to death by one small thing at a time and its hitting private, part 91 and 135 really hard. Part 121 is mostly ok because most maintenance is pre-approved. We just hope a special flight permit isnt needed.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join