It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
SO far, the only effects I've noticed personally is a disclaimer on some web pages I visit indicating something along the lines of, "due to a lack or appropriations (note, not budget), some of the information on this website may not be up to date."

And that's about it personally.

I noticed FBI's twitter has been inactive since Dec. 21st.

Fox News has been inactive since Nov 8.

Your point?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Something hit me today as I was going about my usual Sunday... This whole business hasn't impacted me or anyone I personally know in any way, whatsoever.

I am more careful about buying food since the FDA is closed down and we've seen problems with the food in our food supply chains.

Next week I'll be flying to a conference. Instead of getting to the airport an hour early, I'm planning on 2 hours early to deal with the problems at TSA.

All the adults in my family are expecting long delays in our IRS refunds.

A friend who takes care of her severely disabled adult sun (he's nonverbal, basically like a 40 year old sized 18 month old baby) has had trouble getting the SSI checks.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Do you liberals only deal in hypotheticals and emotion?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I feel as a fellow American I can feel sympathetic for their struggle.

We can have sympathy for the struggle, yet keep our rationality intact.

Do you have the same sympathy for those struggling with heartache because one of their loved ones was murdered or raped by someone that was here illegally;

or, someone who struggles with drug addictions because of illicit drugs pouring into the country from South of the border;

or, someone whose child was maimed and crippled because of another drunk driver here illegally who has been deported three times before;

or, someone living in an area where illegals have been recruited into gangs like MS-13 and you have to worry about your teenage daughter just walking to school.

Build. The. Wall. Then, start fixing the rest of the illegal immigration problem.
Let our president solve this decades-old problem. He can do it on time and under budget.

edit on 13-1-2019 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The shutdown hasn’t done anything to change the lives of my family and friends. I think we should shut it all down and then slowly add back components of the Government as we actually need them. I think we would end up with about half of the BS we normally have.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It's apart of MAGA, government so idiotic the country is gonna swing so far left might I say liberal in 2020. Should be interesting to live through.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The only way it's effected me is having to listen and tolerate the increased whining from the left, other than that, nada.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
SO far, the only effects I've noticed personally is a disclaimer on some web pages I visit indicating something along the lines of, "due to a lack or appropriations (note, not budget), some of the information on this website may not be up to date."

And that's about it personally.

Yep. same here.

The local weather blog can't post as many updated weather models because of the shutdown. Oh well, he's still telling me to prep for a minor freezing rain event potentially Thursday night and the possibility of another major winter storm Friday night into Saturday. I don't need to see them in order to know I ought to keep my eye on the weather and not plan anything critical this weekend.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Other than seeing people go on and on and on and on about it on my Facebook feed and here on ATS.......has not affected me in any way, shape or form.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I wonder why they only have this level of anguish for these people and not for anyone in the private sector who loses their jobs?

I mean for those of us in the untamed private sector, if we lose our jobs, it's not like we have to wait it out and then all of a sudden get back pay and our old jobs back. We have no security at all save what we make for ourselves.

I never see any of these names in here crying over how awful it much be to lose our jobs and have no security but to be out blowing in the wind hoping to fall into a new job before out time runs out. Nope, but they all cry endlessly over these poor slobs who have all kinds of job security, but likely don't have savings because of it.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

It hasn't impacted me whatsoever, and I dont see that changing any time soon. They could stay shut down for years...........same deal.

But if the truckers strike for 3 days, THEN the sh!t will hit the fan and we all know that by now.

Makes you realize who's really in charge here.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
There's a shutdown?

Almost seems like a waste of taxpayers money to start it back up....

Non-essential workers... Almost like they aren't really needed...
edit on 13-1-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

Non-essential workers... Almost like they aren't really needed...

Hence the term "Non" Essential, you see.

I'll bet you anything that those jobs those people are not doing could be siphoned down to the state level and have each state take care of their own. Re-allcocate funds if you have to by taking the money out of federal coffers and into state coffers.
edit on 13-1-2019 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I feel as a fellow American I can feel sympathetic for their struggle.

We can have sympathy for the struggle, yet keep our rationality intact.

Do you have the same sympathy for those struggling with heartache because one of their loved ones was murdered or raped by someone that was here illegally;

or, someone who struggles with drug addictions because of illicit drugs pouring into the country from South of the border;

or, someone whose child was maimed and crippled because of another drunk driver here illegally who has been deported three times before;

or, someone living in an area where illegals have been recruited into gangs like MS-13 and you have to worry about your teenage daughter just walking to school.

Build. The. Wall. Then, start fixing the rest of the illegal immigration problem.
Let our president solve this decades-old problem. He can do it on time and under budget.

Yes to all your questions. The OP asked if anyone was affected by the closing of the government. I answered it did through my connection with friends. How one assumes that I am A. against a wall because of that, or B that I am unsympathetic to illegal immigrant crime is beyond me, but that seem to be how ATS rolls these days.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The impact for me was more of an inconvenience then anything major.

First day of the shutdown I was supposed to do the interview to get my TSA Global Entry pass.

Customs called and let me know that all interviews were canceled and I'm obviously still waiting to reschedule.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
My Brother works for TSA in Reno Nevada. I believe he is caught up in it. He has funds to survive a good length of time however. Might get him a promotion as attrition takes its toll with people bailing.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I wonder why they only have this level of anguish for these people and not for anyone in the private sector who loses their jobs?

I mean for those of us in the untamed private sector, if we lose our jobs, it's not like we have to wait it out and then all of a sudden get back pay and our old jobs back. We have no security at all save what we make for ourselves.

I never see any of these names in here crying over how awful it much be to lose our jobs and have no security but to be out blowing in the wind hoping to fall into a new job before out time runs out. Nope, but they all cry endlessly over these poor slobs who have all kinds of job security, but likely don't have savings because of it.

I think there is a huge difference between the private sector and the government shutdown jobs.
They are not free to leave get another job. In the private sector you are. With some of the government jobs they still have to report to work, without pay. I don't know any private sector jobs that require that.
edit on 13-1-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Went to the ocean the other day and didn't have anybody telling I can't look unless I pay. But did See about $20,000 worth of signs up telling me what was closed just at one park. Funny the trash cans were full and people just kept piling on, instead of taking it with them. Did get a kick out of the couple with the Yukon with the Keep Tahoe blue sticker adding to it.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think there is a huge difference between the private sector and the government shutdown jobs.
They are not free to leave get another job. In the private sector you are. With some of the government jobs they still have to report to work, without pay. I don't know any private sector jobs that require that.

But in reality they are free to quit their job and seek employment in the private sector. In absolute terms, no one is a slave, they aren't physically restrained from making that choice.

Now, I realize the true aspects of your point. Many are "forced" to continue to seek government employment(in their best interest) because the private sector wouldn't offer anywhere close in wage to their actual income and benefits.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I am affected in that I am starting a Business, have most of My licensing but with the TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau) closed cant get My final license to start running. But the wife and I are both still working full time jobs and have a couple investors so should be ok for upto 6 mos (more).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join