It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Liquesence
Just because it doesn't personally affect me (or you, or any one single person or family) doesn't mean it's ok. That's the point.

I disagree. The federal government's job is to work with the best interest of the majority of Americans in mind. If this shutdown is inconsequential or even beneficial (from a taxation perspective) to the majority of Americans, then it absolutely is "OK" and, taking it further, should be used a springboard to decide what components of the federal government is wasteful and needs trimmed from the government.

I disagree. This is not about "trimming" the federal government. This is using people's jobs as political leverage to make a point. Even though the majority of America might be in the best interest as a whole, sacrificing the minority is not, hence the reason many on "the left" fight for the minority and those who are marginalized, because it's humane.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

How has this affected me?

HOW HAS THIS AFFECTED ME?????

I'll tell you how!

Since the shutdown I have become, fat, balding and have developed a drinking habit!

Well, I might have had those issues before the shutdown, but I'm not sure.

edit on 13-1-2019 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The U.S. is huge. 800,000 people you don't know, could vanish tomorrow and you wouldn't notice.

500,000 people have failed to show up to their supposedly vital jobs which our tax dollars are paying the salaries of for 3 weeks now and I haven't noticed. That's the point.

They are the "non-essentials". Would be a good time for the government to prune the tree, before turning the lights back on.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This is finally one of those threads where you can say "ahhh but you're not from hear!"

Half of the citizens in the US don't pay taxes. God knows they piss and moan just like actual taxpayers.

So I'm sure you have an opinion you'd love to share with us here.

HA!

I do appreciate that but honestly its not affected me in anyway.

I am planning a visit to the states possibly later this year so it could impact my holiday plans if it goes on I guess.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

What makes that different?

We're wasting $125 Billion+ per year on it when we could pay $35 Bil, build a GD Wall, and cut the annual costs significantly. That's the difference.

$25 Billion was allocated along with a DACA deal last winter.

It was rejected by POTUS after he said he would sign it.

So now we come back to "build the GD wall." Got it.

If one cares so passionately about people one doesn't know being hurt by illegal immigrants but doesn't care about Americans being harmed by the shutdown, that's a hypocritical double standard insofar as caring about people one does not know.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

You're applying emotional pablum to an entity which should be purely logical and by the numbers. The veering from logic and statistically defensible action is what's wrong with this nation's government to begin with.

In short, humane isn't by any stretch handing out tax payer dollars hilly nilly simply to buy your effing party more Kept Voters.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Its actually been awesome for me lol. I have been ordering a bunch knock off shi from China and it just flies through customs.

edit on 13-1-2019 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
SO far, the only effects I've noticed personally is a disclaimer on some web pages I visit indicating something along the lines of, "due to a lack or appropriations (note, not budget), some of the information on this website may not be up to date."

And that's about it personally.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We got alot in common. Damm shutdown

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

What makes that different?

We're wasting $125 Billion+ per year on it when we could pay $35 Bil, build a GD Wall, and cut the annual costs significantly. That's the difference.

$25 Billion was allocated along with a DACA deal last winter.

It was rejected by POTUS after he said he would sign it.

So now we come back to "build the GD wall." Got it.

Wrong, DEMOCRATS rejected that deal.

Why am I not surprised you are trying to change history to suit your needs...sad.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Actually, I've been in the hospital with pneumonia and the flu so it has not affected me - at all. Still got great medical care, etc. No one is even talking about the shut down. Only politicos care.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I didn't notice the shutdown in my personal life. As it happens I applied for my Social Security bennies on Dec. 28 and my first deposit from them was made on Dec. 31. I was amazed. But what has amazed me even more is the fact that since that day I've gotten something in the mail from SS or Medicare telling me about some amazing programs that I have foolishly rejected or more forms I might fill out to see if I'm eligible for extra bennies. All these options were offered to me in the interview and rejected so why are they still begging me to fill out more forms to "possibly" qualify for more?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

This is finally one of those threads where you can say "ahhh but you're not from hear!"

Half of the citizens in the US don't pay taxes. God knows they piss and moan just like actual taxpayers.

HA!

I am planning a visit to the states possibly later this year so it could impact my holiday plans if it goes on I guess.

The only thing travel related that's affected, to my knowledge, is the TSA.

So unless you were looking forward to a free prostate exam and a nice dose of radiation, then your travel plans should be unaffected.
edit on 13-1-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Yes it has.

I have several close friends affected by the shutdown. Some are much more prepared than others.
I am ready to send money to my friend to make sure she at least has food, but so far her family is not there yet.

Just because you don't have friends in that circle does not mean many many Americans aren't feeling the pain.

I don't personally know anyone that was affected by the California wildfires, or hurricanes, or flooding. I feel as a fellow American I can feel sympathetic for their struggle. I do not pretend it does not exist just because it is not in the scope of my friends or family.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Can't reserve campsite for a camping trip at national park. Which isn't a huge deal, but my family might not get the desired park location for our Summer trip. Going to try and take advantage though, act quick when reservations open back up and get something even better.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: Liquesence

Sorry but if they are that paycheck to paycheck, they might want to rethink how they are living. I am by no means making a killing but I have plenty saved up that I could survive for a year or more with no income because I do not live beyond my means and save a lot of my income. And still have investments, sorry I have no sympathy for these un needed government waste

Not everyone that works for the government starts off making 100K.
There are people just starting their career. Imagine someone that is just newly out of school and a month in. They might not have enough to live beyond paycheck to paycheck. Imagine someone newly divorced, that suffered years of abuse and left their husband/wife with nothing and are getting a fresh start with a government job.

You have no sympathy because you can not think beyond your own situation.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

HA!

An entire van full of TSA employees were in an Ohare remote lot smoking weed yesterday.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
SO far, the only effects I've noticed personally is a disclaimer on some web pages I visit indicating something along the lines of, "due to a lack or appropriations (note, not budget), some of the information on this website may not be up to date."

And that's about it personally.

I noticed FBI's twitter has been inactive since Dec. 21st.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No..they were disposing of confiscated material.

Some companies charge thousands to remove and destroy such hazardous material.

They were doing it for free, saving taxpayers money.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

HA!

An entire van full of TSA employees were in an Ohare remote lot smoking weed yesterday.

So?

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join