It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Something hit me today as I was going about my usual Sunday... This whole business hasn't impacted me or anyone I personally know in any way, whatsoever. We've had a shutdown government for 3 weeks now and there has been no actual impact aside from the loss of a paycheck for 0.25% of the country and some manner of disruption in distribution of welfare for whatever percentage of Americans are on the dole. Otherwise, not a damn thing has gone astray. We've not had any terror attacks on planes, we've seen no chaos in the streets, the IRS' lack of work has yet to bring about the desolate economic pirate distopia liberal swore would happen if there was any lessening of IRS oversight even for a minute of a business day, we have nobody dying in the streets, kids are still being educated (as crappily as they were with a fully funded government) in our public school indoctrination centers, "Oh, the FDA isn't inspecting food" some say... "so effing what?" I say, we've not had any e. coli outbreaks and, frankly, we were having those in recent years with the FDA fully working, so it would seem none is better than what we had before, so the shutdown is actually doing a better job of keeping Americans from soiling themselves uncontrollably after eating a salad than the fully staffed FDA was doing.

I mean seriously, keep the bitch shut down as long as y'all want, DC. This is turning out to be a beautiful thing. Let's take it a step further and not backpay anything that didn't get performed during this shutdown and really save some damn money through it.

That's my story here. Government shutdown = what? Hadn't noticed they were even closed. What's yours?

ETA: If you are among the 0.25% who didn't receive a paycheck on Friday, bummer. If you are among the whatever percentage whose dole may get interrupted, also bummer. The economy is hiring at a robust rate, however... a change in career may be found as a fulfilling endeavor for both groups. Job security seems to be higher in the private sector these days (though, unlike the government sector, results are expected for you to keep your job) and exercise is healthy, so those on the dole may find their overall health improves alongside their gainful employment.
edit on 13-1-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I was just saying this the other day, apparently all these people that have not been working are not needed.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

""So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?""

It hasn't.

But it sure is exposing the wasted bureaucracy and how maybe 1 could do 5 of the current government jobs 😎

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I saw less TSA agents at the airport last week so I'm gonna chalk that up as a positive. Looking forward to seeing even less tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I think some trees died, oh and government workers affected by the shutdown are loving it, gofundme's are on fire for them right now, and once the shutdown is done they get back pay.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
gofundme's are on fire for them right now, and once the shutdown is done they get back pay.

Stockholme Syndrome in action right there.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Wouldn't even have a clue it was happening if not for the "news".

The fact of the matter is that the government is bloated. I'd say probably 50 percent of the gov employees(politicians included) and 50 percent of government spending could be just eliminated with no actual difference to most americans.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It hasn't effected anyone I know at all, except maybe a few people I know who work for the government. They usually plan a trip for this time of year though, so they can use their vacation pay and stay away from all the bitchy democrat supporting government workers. My wife's friend retired last year so she isn't affected anymore. During past shutdowns she took trips and complained like hell about Republicans everywhere she went while up. Her brothers don't even like her talking trash about republicans, they own farms....Republicans are better for Farmers. Of course, she stirs things up. She is pretty far left, she does not listen to reason either, she also will down twenty meds a day instead of changing one thing in her highly processed food diet.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   

So, This Shutdown... How has it Affected You?

It hasn't.

But it's affecting a lot of other people.

I mean seriously, keep the bitch shut down as long as y'all want, DC. This is turning out to be a beautiful thing.

Not for the people who it's negatively affecting, financially.

Just because it doesn't personally affect me (or you, or any one single person or family) doesn't mean it's ok. That's the point.

link   

It hasn't affected me at all.

Just wish both sides would use the conviction level for this issue on one that was more pertinent.

Sure illegal immigration is an issue that needs addressing in many ways.

But maybe we could address the infrastructure, or like five other things that affect us more.

link   
This is finally one of those threads where you can say "ahhh but you're not from hear!"

link   

Nothing that has happened via or during this administration has had any notable ill effect on my life or livelihood. Not yet at least.
Perhaps I slip through the cracks too often?
Perhaps all the alarmist hoo-ha is just that?
Who's to say?
Why am I asking so many questions?
???

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Vector99
gofundme's are on fire for them right now, and once the shutdown is done they get back pay.

Stockholme Syndrome in action right there.

There was a local story here about a lady that got 100k and a new car, and they said several other gofundme's have been started and are receiving lots of donations...

I want 100k and a new car dang it!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This is finally one of those threads where you can say "ahhh but you're not from hear!"

Half of the citizens in the US don't pay taxes. God knows they piss and moan just like actual taxpayers.

So I'm sure you have an opinion you'd love to share with us here.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Sorry but if they are that paycheck to paycheck, they might want to rethink how they are living. I am by no means making a killing but I have plenty saved up that I could survive for a year or more with no income because I do not live beyond my means and save a lot of my income. And still have investments, sorry I have no sympathy for these un needed government waste

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Just because it doesn't personally affect me (or you, or any one single person or family) doesn't mean it's ok. That's the point.

I disagree. The federal government's job is to work with the best interest of the majority of Americans in mind. If this shutdown is inconsequential or even beneficial (from a taxation perspective) to the majority of Americans, then it absolutely is "OK" and, taking it further, should be used a springboard to decide what components of the federal government is wasteful and needs trimmed from the government.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The U.S. is huge. 800,000 people you don't know, could vanish tomorrow and you wouldn't notice.
edit on 1/13/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The U.S. is huge. 800,000 people you don't know, could vanish tomorrow and you wouldn't notice.

500,000 people have failed to show up to their supposedly vital jobs which our tax dollars are paying the salaries of for 3 weeks now and I haven't noticed. That's the point.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

But you all supposedly care about the violence committed by *illegal* immigrants against people you don't know, right?

What makes that different?

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
What makes that different?

We're wasting $125 Billion+ per year on it when we could pay $35 Bil, build a GD Wall, and cut the annual costs significantly. That's the difference.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join