It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Dust Can Wirelessly Communicate Process Data Diagnosticly Monitor People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So here I have been reading up on this stuff called smart dust. Its a super tiny device that can moniter everything. The idea is to put it everywhere so the user of the tech could moniter everything and collect and store data.
Similar to tiny computers they store and transmit information.
There are also countless medical uses for this technology including something scientists call neural dust.
There are alot of red flags for people with this technology like a lack of privacy.
Some people believe this dust is already been scattered around the world to moniter everything as it has been around for a long time.
I think this technology could have alot of good potential as well as bad.
The question of how this technology will further develop in the future and what other types of applications there may be for it both for military use and civilian use.
So what do you think of smart dust ATS?

www.forbes.com...
Imagine a world where wireless devices are as small as a grain of salt. These miniaturized devices have sensors, cameras and communication mechanisms to transmit the data they collect back to a base in order to process. Today, you no longer have to imagine it: microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), often called motes, are real and they very well could be coming to a neighborhood near you. Whether this fact excites or strikes fear in you it’s good to know what it’s all about.

What can smart dust do?

Outfitted with miniature sensors, MEMS can detect everything from light to vibrations to temperature. With an incredible amount of power packed into its small size, MEMS combine sensing, an autonomous power supply, computing and wireless communication in a space that is typically only a few millimeters in volume. With such a small size, these devices can stay suspended in an environment just like a particle of dust. They can:

Collect data including acceleration, stress, pressure, humidity, sound and more from sensors
Process the data with what amounts to an onboard computer system
Store the data in memory
Wirelessly communicate the data to the cloud, a base or other MEMs

3D printing on the microscale
Since the components that make up these devices are 3D printed as one piece on a commercially available 3D printer, an incredible amount of complexity can be handled and some previous manufacturing barriers that restricted how small you can make things were overcome. The optical lenses that are created for these miniaturized sensors can achieve the finest quality images.

Practical applications of smart dust

The potential of smart dust to collect information about any environment in incredible detail could impact plenty of things in a variety of industries from safety to compliance to productivity. It’s like multiplying the internet of things technology millions or billions of times over. Here are just some of the ways it might be used:

• Monitor crops in an unprecedented scale to determine watering, fertilization and pest-control needs.
• Monitor equipment to facilitate more timely maintenance.
• Identify weaknesses and corrosion prior to a system failure.
• Enable wireless monitoring of people and products for security purposes.
• Measuring anything that can be measured nearly anywhere.
• Enhance inventory control with MEMS to track products from manufacturing facility shelves to boxes to palettes to shipping vessels to trucks to retail shelves.
• Possible applications for the healthcare industry are immense from diagnostic procedures without surgery to monitoring devices that help people with disabilities interact with tools that help them live independently.
• Researchers at UC Berkeley published a paper about the potential for neural dust, an implantable system to be sprinkled on the human brain, to provide feedback about brain functionality.

Disadvantages of smart dust
There are still plenty of concerns with wide-scale adoption of smart dust that need to be sorted out. Here are a few disadvantages of smart dust:

Privacy concerns:
Many that have reservations about the real-world implications of smart dust are concerned about privacy issues. Since smart dust devices are miniature sensors they can record anything that they are programmed to record. Since they are so small, they are difficult to detect. Your imagination can run wild regarding the negative privacy implications when smart dust falls into the wrong hands.

Control:
Once billions of smart dust devices are deployed over an area it would be difficult to retrieve or capture them if necessary. Given how small they are, it would be challenging to detect them if you weren’t made aware of their presence. The volume of smart dust that could be engaged by a rogue individual, company or government to do harm would make it challenging for the authorities to control if necessary.

Future of IoT will be ‘smart dust’, says Cambridge Consultants
internetofbusiness.com...

‘Smart dust’ aims to monitor everything
www.federaljack.com...

How Smart Dust Could Be Used To Monitor Human Thought
www.forbes.com...

edit on 13-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I can see this being used against us in the future more than being used to help us. I am sure that they can incorporate a release of toxic chemicals upon demand from specially designed ones. It could be put into a big mac like pepper or salt and then when a signal comes in it could be activated.

I would say it would be used more to sicken people who are doing something like protesting instead of killing a person.

Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, maybe someone from our government agencies will read this and order a pile of special dust.
edit on 13-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I would say it would be used more to sicken people who are doing something like protesting instead of killing a person. Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, maybe someone from our government agencies will read this and order a pile of special dust.

Husbands and wives will be able to use it to track fidelity. For example, smart dust could tell you if your spouse spent time pressed up against a warm fleshy surface, and how long they spent there. Or if your wife was rubbing one out on the sly. On the brain, it could potentially even detect what a person was fantasizing about. The consumer use-and-abuse potential is outrageous. Probably it will be used to detect whose dust you've been near.

So let's all go live in yurts in the mountains and stay off the grid...no cell phones allowed. Modified phones will be used, like tricorders, to get readings from smart dust. So for privacy's sake, all phones will be checked at the gate.

"Beam me up Scotty! There's too much intelligent dust down here!"

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

I would say it would be used more to sicken people who are doing something like protesting instead of killing a person. Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, maybe someone from our government agencies will read this and order a pile of special dust.

Husbands and wives will be able to use it to track fidelity. For example, smart dust could tell you if your spouse spent time pressed up against a warm fleshy surface, and how long they spent there. Or if your wife was rubbing one out on the sly. On the brain, it could potentially even detect what a person was fantasizing about. The consumer use-and-abuse potential is outrageous. Probably it will be used to detect whose dust you've been near.

So let's all go live in yurts in the mountains and stay off the grid...no cell phones allowed. Modified phones will be used, like tricorders, to get readings from smart dust. So for privacy's sake, all phones will be checked at the gate.

"Beam me up Scotty! There's too much intelligent dust down here!"

Yeah, as if we do not already have enough hate and chaos in our country already, if your spouse starts tracking everywhere you go, that would suck. The divorce rate will tumble after a few years because nobody will be married anymore, a woman gets stopped by a cute guy to ask for directions to a store and she gets kind of happy, then she goes home and gets bitched at by her husband.

When relationships get like prison terms, things are going to get ugly.
edit on 13-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
YIKES!
The Borg:
"Resistance is futile, Assimilate !"

Any resemblance of privacy and freedom are purely accidental with this dust.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:55 AM
link   
They can determine the level of light.. That is interesting. Imagine thousands and thousands of them in a single area. Could they be used as some sort of remote camera? Each on a pixel as with a ccd?

I mean, they already have full on software that can 'hear' with a camera in a sound proof room, by detecting the subtle vibrations of things within the room, a plant, a piece of paper, and get a decent representation of what is being said..

What can appear mundane, can also be used for astonishing gains...

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

I imagine there are already billions of these everywhere.
There would be no way for people to ever know which is what makes then so useful.
These things have been around since 1992 so for around 30 years the department of defence has had time to deploy and play with them.

There would be no reason to not to do it.

I would guess that chemtrils probably could be full of this stuff and get blown around the world.
Also jets fly everywhere they could just leave clouds of invisible smart dust.

Not saying it has happened but I am saying its a possibility.

new topics

join