It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An autistic man (like "rain man" n the film) whos a maths wizard.. but can explain how he does it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
An autistic man (like "rain man" n the film) whos a maths wizard.. but can explain how he does it!

www.guardian.co.uk...

A quote from the article:

"When I multiply numbers together, I see two shapes. The image starts to change and evolve, and a third shape emerges. That's the answer. It's mental imagery. It's like maths without having to think."

Wow.. just imagine that, amazing.

Also if you read on he is developeing a new language. Most facinating!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This guy is amazing. I wonder how many people know 7 languages, especially since many have problems learning a second language. I wonder if his language Manti will ever hit language circles. It seems like it has potential.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by IKnowNothing]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

A truly worthy read, that article. A well-written, wonderful story.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think I saw something on TV about this guy...he learned Icelandic in one week! Pretty amazing stuff.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Very interesting, it doesn't actually "explain" how he does it though......but...didn't I see this same thread here somewhere but with a different title maybe

Odd

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
that's very interesting; it's almost like synasthesia... it's amazing what the human mind can do, when it stops acting like the human mind.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Very interesting story. I look forward to learning more about him and what we learn from him in the future. It amazes me what our minds are capable of when we learn to tap into the right parts.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I read the link to this post and I was amazed. This guy is by far a geniusx10. Would'nt it be nice if the medical comunity could study this man in depth and try to unlock the secrets of his abilities? He is so smart his future is really going to be incredable.. I would like to see him and Steven Hawking get together. Can you just imanage the two of them working together? Not to mention the fact that his has developed his own laungage. God bless him and anything good he can do for mankind.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
Very interesting story. I look forward to learning more about him and what we learn from him in the future. It amazes me what our minds are capable of when we learn to tap into the right parts.

Yeah, I was blown away by the figure that 1% of the population was savant (but not autistic). If I read that right.

And that we all have that potential at least. I think some of it gets stiffled in education. Like when they force you to conform to certain things (a necessity unfortunately) like showing your work in math?

Until I was properly conditioned, I always knew the answer.
But that's not good enough, is it?

Did anyone in elementary (before we learn the right way) ever do rudimentary base 6 conversions automatically then convert back visually or basically see math problems as combinations of grids of dice or some other substitute of visual value? Anything like that? Those visualizations are savant-like if you did them... and are typically taught out over time. It would be nice to encourage anomolous "genius," but it's just not practical I suppose.

This guy though, is soooo on a higher level...

The number two, for instance, is a motion, and five is a clap of thunder.

That's so frailing cool. The scientific holy grail unification theory is in there. It's in his head. He's converted existence to a formula, only without the formula. Damn he's NEO.

I like this guy's new language too. Seems almost causal based, but it's actually based on sets, supersets and subsets. Like scientific groupings and subgroupings of all existence.
I can dig it.

I'm quite jealous actually. I wanna talk to h-i-i-i-i-m.

Like everyone has that "thing" in their head they can't adequately explain to anyone right? Well he gets it.

Wouldn't that be awesome for like a day to have someone understand even if all they do is smile?

Ask him like Is Chandler triangle or circle?

Square. Definitely square. Ross is circle. Joey is triangle.

And in an instant you've had a conversation about the essentials of all western art since Shakespeare and transmitted a form of knowledge beyond telepathy.

He'd be an awesome spades partner at any rate.

new topics

top topics

join