It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are archetypes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
its kinda hard to get your head round at first, and even although
i have known what they are for more than 10 years im still finding
it hard to describe it even to myself, if that makes any sense.

this short video explains it very well and is well presented
clear and concise with good examples.

Meaning: "model, first form, original pattern from which copies are made," 1540s [Barnhart]

i thought i would bring this to ATS to try and gain further understanding on the subject
myself and share with others who may be asking themselves that question
what is an archetype?

aras.org...

HOW AN ARCHETYPE EXPRESSES ITSELF
The term 'archetype' is often misunderstood as meaning a certain definite mythological image or motif…on the contrary, [it is] an inherited tendency of the human mind to form representations of mythological motifs—representations that vary a great deal without losing their basic pattern…This inherited tendency is instinctive, like the specific impulse of nest-building, migration, etc. in birds. One finds the representations collectives practically everywhere, characterized by the same or similar motifs. They cannot be assigned to any particular time or region or race. They are without known origin, and they can reproduce themselves even where transmission through migration must be ruled out (CW 18:523).

…besides [the intellect] there is a thinking in primordial images—in symbols which are older than historic man, which are inborn in him from the earliest times, and, eternally living, outlasting all generations, still make up the groundwork of the human psyche (CW8:794).

As the products of imagination are always in essence visual, their forms must, from the outset, have the character of images and moreover of typical images, which is why…I call them 'archetypes' (CW 11:845).

edit on 13-1-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

If you like studying archetypes you will like this book:

www.amazon.com...

Audio reading:

You know how you know if a politician is lying? Their lips are moving! A lot of Shadow Magicians in government and lawyers in general.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

You will probably like this video too:

A bit long but really good.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
"Jung described archetypal events: birth, death, separation from parents, initiation, marriage, the union of opposites; archetypal figures: great mother, father, child, devil, god, wise old man, wise old woman, the trickster, the hero; and archetypal motifs: the apocalypse, the deluge, the creation. Although the number of archetypes is limitless, there are a few particularly notable, recurring archetypal images, "the chief among them being" (according to Jung) "the shadow, the wise old man, the child, the mother ... and her counterpart, the maiden, and lastly the anima in man and the animus in woman".[9] Alternatively he would speak of "the emergence of certain definite archetypes ... the shadow, the animal, the wise old man, the anima, the animus, the mother, the child".[10]"

you could explain so many paranormal experiences as being a cause of an unconscious that has been made
conscious in the moment, in heightened emotional states and/or highly sensitive human beings.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

i will defo watch the video when i get time thanks, it looks really good
got enough books to read the now though, The Red Book is one i will be
picking up again soon, read the intro ages ago and thought, think i will
study more before reading this, defo have more of an awareness now...
well enough to be able to grasp it better anyway

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I rather enjoy Dr. Jordan Peterson's take on Jungian Archetypes.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
archetypes are meme's for the mind

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this important question & supporting information to ATS. I have qualifications in hypnotherapy, and have found that these sorts of questions, and the answers we can produce, are very helpful in understanding a person's behavioural & general psychological traits/ health.

Meaning: "model, first form, original pattern from which copies are made," 1540s [Barnhart]

This has interesting parallels to the works of Plato, in reference to his 'world of forms' concept. I will enjoy following this thread, with both your own thoughts & those of the other members.. I will hopefully be able to contribute in a more helpful manner when I have time, bit harried with overdue tasks at the moment!

Cheers, FITO.

ETA -

They cannot be assigned to any particular time or region or race. They are without known origin, and they can reproduce themselves even where transmission through migration must be ruled out (CW 18:523).

I suspect that there will one day be a finding on this matter through the study of our DNA. As with the epigenetic expression of certain aspects of DNA coding which emphasises certain base experiences or happenings which affect the DNA (due to illness or acquired coding arising from the ingestion of certain DNA models which are - somehow - assimilated into the DNA of the host being studied) we will find that the most ancient archetypal representations which we all share in our collective unconscious are actually somehow encoded in the myriad folds & structural quirks of our compacted DNA as base layer instructions for our brain/mind. We are provided with 'the mind of the gods', or in a sense hybridised with formerly alien constructs which were incorporated into our primal DNA manifestations back in ancient times. Part of me suspects that this is what makes us so susceptible to extravagant mental illnesses, and yet also to ache in our deepest spirit/mind for a lost 'golden age'.. Perhaps we carry the memories of those 'gods' who tampered with our DNA in ancient Sumer, memories which remained fresh in their cultral memory, but which were alien to us, and caused us to become conflicted when looking at our own world, seeing how far off we were from that perfect 'Atlantean' heritage which haunted our dreams as we toiled away, desperately hoping to one day recover the experience of that marvelous world. I think perhaps this clash of subconscious memory & actual circumstance maybe led to the concept of the human race being 'fallen' having acquired by the 'knowledge of good & evil' (pure freedom versus actual slavery?) Interesting stuff..

edit on JanuarySunday1901CST11America/Chicago-060055 by FlyInTheOintment because: clarification

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is a subject I have dwelled on my whole life and never knew of Jungs take on it. I will most definitely be going to the book store today, but first YouTube. Haha
I think it is both inherited and a learned trait. An animal giving birth and nursing is an inherited trait, same as a nest, fear of predators, etc.
But if I said picture a car and draw one to 100 1st graders, they would all look different but the same, having round wheels, oblong shaped or square body, a place inside or middle to ride. This is learned the same as if they were asked to draw god.
Now if you want to find the truly genius in their youth, ask them to draw a vehicle that will reach a star, write a song that can’t be put in an established genre, ask the impossible and see humans innovate and evolve. That is the archetype of life and consciousness. Public schools are a place to teach rules and limits when it should be guiding how to break rules and grow.

A question for you
Are some humans naturally fat and some skinny for species survival? I can handle hot temps comfortably, but I would freeze and die in extreme cold. Is that inherited species survival or a learned behavior?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Now if you want to find the truly genius in their youth, ask them to draw a vehicle that will reach a star, write a song that can’t be put in an established genre, ask the impossible and see humans innovate and evolve. That is the archetype of life and consciousness. Public schools are a place to teach rules and limits when it should be guiding how to break rules and grow.

That's a really great idea! It's good to see people like yourself, who understand the actual innate needs of human beings, and particularly, devising ways for our young to explore & expand their conscious imagination, leading them to innovate & develop ever greater understandings of what our lives are supposed to express. Thanks for a good reminder of how we must focus on the experience of our children & in essence teach them how to imagine & eventually build a far better world than we have inherited from the older generations. Each generation must build on the opportunities of the past, and revoke the negative potential of their mistakes. Awesome thoughts, I look forward to reading future posts from your good self.

PS - who the heck is the crazy-looking lady in your avatar? I won't deny that she completely creeps me out every time I see her bobbing here head in the ATS threads lol.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Definitely, always worth listening to that dude. You know, here in the UK he has been openly mocked & derogated by several of our politicians, journalists & scientific thinkers. It's a real shame, because he is perhaps the only 'pop' psychologist with any sense regarding the greater meaning & application of strength & courage in our modern lives, within a society that is determined to rebuke any expression of free thinking! Our academic system here is badly compromised with people who are in no way equal to Peterson, yet feel they have the right to trash his theories as an example to the young (as part of the brainwashing system) that independent conservative & (in part) religious/ theological thought will not be tolerated..

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

I think the biggest problem "they" have with him is that he genuinely wants to help people.
Not just indoctrinate people into a ideology.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

cheers
Jungs theories on the shadow persona was the first thing that sparked
my interest in the unconscious and Jungs work in particular, theres so much
unexplained phenomenon that i feel could be explained by a better understanding
of the unconscious, i mean are we ourselves different variations of those
archetypal images or are they a product of our brains alone, just some
of the questions i would like to find an answer to, also are plants more conscious
than us, or is their conscious completely conscious, is all conscious part of
the collective conscious, does evrything have personal conscious....
consciousness weve always had it and its still our greatest mystery
edit on 13-1-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Thank you so much for the kind words. It’s strange being anonymous on here and feeling alone on these boards. I don’t have any real world friends on this site, and I’ve never met anyone who visits here. I always wonder about the people on here and if we would be friends, alike, taken back, weirded out, or mortal enemies! Haha. I tend to think 99% of us would be great friends having long deep discussions over bottles of wine or frosty beers.

The avatar is Yolandi Visser of Die Antword, the better half of a South African rap duo. She is a “Golden Budda”! Haha
I think she is actually an extremely pretty lady made to look dirty and trashy. I listen to all types of music and found her fascinating. They are controversial as most good bands are.
I tried to change it the other day but couldn’t from my phone. I wanted Papa Emeritus from Ghost or Corey Taylor of Slipknot for a new avatar look. Maybe it’s a sign I should keep her around!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

I reckon within our DNA we have all variations of a person, to grow into, our cells are constantly being replaced. I think every possible stimuli, thought we experience and how we make sense of it. goes on to defining not only our image but future thinking.
It's like people look like their parents, brothers, because it's the image or archetype of their family
Ask and ye will receive... I've long wondered about that line, maybe we are always asking and always reveiving, with emotions it just makes it more powerful.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have noticed buddist/mystic type thinkers tend to think everything encountered in the "other world" is an archetype.

Like Freud said; "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Sometimes that fairy is just a fairy.

They are so much more than just a subconscious symbol.

edit on 13-1-2019 by Whatsthisthen because: thpellen mistacks

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Whatsthisthen

personally i have little conscious experience of this/these otherworlds
from what i have learned from reading though is that there are different
planes of consciousness up to the godhead or higherself
these unconscious worlds for me is where all religions come from
i find it strange that the unconscious is not given much more attention
than it has, i think it was Jung who said something like
weve travelled all over the world and into space and yet we haven't
even scratched the surface of the human mind.

when you bring in the occult into it, esoteric teachings etc
then think about how religion and capitalism would suffer if their
secret teachings became known its clear why the world must be
kept ignorant of it.
they certainly use our trickster against us thats for sure.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

i have just started watching the TV series "Legion" it is pretty crazy
its basically this guy who thinks hes crazy because of all the voices
he hears in his head, and it turns out hes not crazy, hes just not in
control of the different forces that are within him, and its from
marvel... but prob shouldn't be judged on that lol

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

What are archetypes?

Short answer: the (immaterial) subject of alchemy.
Long answer:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Wow thanks for that video, synchronicity
In it were many and quite breathtaking

Could have listened to her voice all day

top topics

<<   2 >>

join