It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instead of Working To End Our Govt Shutdown - Thirty Democrats Fly to Puerto Rico to Relax.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Democrats are (as always) playing right into the President's hands. Those of us who have read/heard what Donald Trump has been proposing for a few years, see exactly what he's doing with this shut-down.

I think it's far enough into the thread to veer slightly off-topic.

The below article contains a letter that provides very informative insight into Federal Government employee operations and processes. Lots of redundancy and waste.

Letter from Anonymous Trump Official: dailycaller.com...

-AND-

After the shut-down has lasted 30 days, a wholesale reduction in force can be legally authorized.

Source: www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

LOL.…..Dollars to donuts Stephen Miller wrote that letter!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I agree 100% with the thought in that letter. Everyone knows
that Government jobs for the large part are a guaranteed
paycheck. It does not matter if one is efficient, or studious...
one still gets paid. Not all, but a good part of this is sheer
waste at the expense of tax money that could go to some
other needed area such as taking care of veterans, taking
care of children in need etc.

No one should ever have a guaranteed job, no one!!

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Well, that would stop one talking point anyway. A RIF is a layoff, and I don't think many Americas have not been affected by a layoff at some point in their lives (I have been through one RIF and many private sector layoffs). So the complaints will fall on mostly deaf ears. The result afterwards will likely be that organizations like NASA will use outside services to continue their work, further stimulating the private economy.

As someone who is quite familiar with layoffs and business closings, I am finding the constant cries over a furlough to be somewhat irritating. There was no national uproar the many times I lost my job through no fault of my own. At least by changing the narrative from "furlough" (which I don't think most Americans understand) to "RIF" aka "layoff," I think most Americans will understand how normal this is.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Cassi3l

How high do you think you'll go? 33 days maybe?

33rd degree?...nicely put

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

None of the people crying about this cared when thousands & thousands of auto industry workers either lost their jobs or were forced to accept pay cuts back when Chrysler and General Motors went thru bankruptcy, and Ford received identical concessions so they wouldn't need to go thru bankruptcy. Even the supposedly pro-working class Democratic leaders didn't lift a finger to help the people who were affected.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Of course not!

Obama purposely slowed any potential recovery from the 2008 recession, keeping millions out of work... then Obamacare put tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands more out of work. No one batted an eye.

I really get tired of hearing about these poor, poor people who made orders of magnitude more than me, being so damn indigent. If I can make it, so can they.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Make sure you're sitting down before you read this article.

Democrats who should be refreshed after their warm sunny Adventure in from Puerto Rico, are preparing to leave again....for an 11-day vacation.

mobile.twitter.com...

Believe It or Not, There are Americans who still believe Democrat leaders care about them.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

You know what they're doing... they're sending a message to Trump: "our way or the highway." They think they have some political high road because Trump said he would accept the blame, but they never put a bill on his desk so he could accept the blame. They just don't get that. They think we're that dumb... well, OK, some of us are... but most are not.

Only the most ardent Trump-haters will not place full blame squarely on the Democrats' shoulders after seeing this.

In the meantime, support for the wall is increasing along with Trump's approval rating, while blame for the shutdown is consistently moving from Trump to Congress. In the end, he'll get his border wall via National Emergency Declaration and agree to sign a bill without wall funding after reducing the size of government. The Democrats will go into 2020 against a widely popular President and having to defend their failure to their own base.

I hope they have fun on their 11-day break, because it well might mean they find themselves without a job in two years. I wonder how many of their supporters will cry for them?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   
For Trump, to win out of this govt. shutdown would be very simple ...
Executive presidential order on full urgent withdrawal of US troops from Syria, under the condition of a National Emergency. The threat of it will get the EU to back off in a matter of minutes.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

You know what they're doing... they're sending a message to Trump: "our way or the highway."

Isn't that what Trump is saying? My way or the highway? But the highway isn't a nice scenic drive, it's a shutdown where Federal employees don't get paid and government agencies like the FDA cease operations.

They think they have some political high road because Trump said he would accept the blame, but they never put a bill on his desk so he could accept the blame. They just don't get that. They think we're that dumb... well, OK, some of us are... but most are not.

Most are.... that dumb. The GOP is just playing partisan politics. On Jan 3rd. the new Democratic majority House passed two bills which would fund the government, they did not include Wall funding. The bills were almost identical to the measures passed by the GOP majority Senate before the end of the year. Republicans rejected the Dem majority bills.

Don't forget that on Dec. 11th, Schumer and Pelosi met with Trump and offered 1.6 billion for border security. That's when he said he would take the blame for the shutdown.

Only the most ardent Trump-haters will not place full blame squarely on the Democrats' shoulders after seeing this.

Nah.... polls show otherwise.

In the meantime, support for the wall is increasing along with Trump's approval rating, while blame for the shutdown is consistently moving from Trump to Congress.

What fantasy world are you living in? That's a bold claim.... you got any proof to back that # up? Trump's approval rating was at 42 before the shutdown and it's been falling since. Most polls show that even GOP regulars blame Trump for the shutdown.

In the end, he'll get his border wall via National Emergency Declaration and agree to sign a bill without wall funding after reducing the size of government. The Democrats will go into 2020 against a widely popular President and having to defend their failure to their own base.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I don't think so Sparky.

I hope they have fun on their 11-day break, because it well might mean they find themselves without a job in two years. I wonder how many of their supporters will cry for them?

No wonder you support Trump... so out of touch with reality...

edit on 17-1-2019 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

Isn't that what Trump is saying?

Not really. He is demanding funding for a wall, but he's also open to negotiation on different aspects of the wall. He's already consented to a steel slat wall instead of a concrete one, for instance. The Democrats are just saying "no" over and over again.

The GOP is just playing partisan politics. On Jan 3rd. the new Democratic majority House passed two bills which would fund the government, they did not include Wall funding. The bills were almost identical to the measures passed by the GOP majority Senate before the end of the year. Republicans rejected the Dem majority bills.

Of course they are! Both parties are playing partisan politics. The GOP wants a wall... sorta... while the DNC wants open borders. However, to be honest, the GOP likely wouldn't give in to a wall either if Trump wasn't holding their feet to the fire. Otherwise, they would have passed a funding bill much sooner.

Don't forget that on Dec. 11th, Schumer and Pelosi met with Trump and offered 1.6 billion for border security. That's when he said he would take the blame for the shutdown.

Yeah, I saw it. Cryin' Chuck had a perfect opportunity: pass a bill that had no wall funding and put it on Trump's desk. Had he simply done that, I would be agreeing that Trump was responsible for the shutdown.

But that never happened. There is no bill for Trump to veto, because McConnell hasn't allowed one to come to the floor. This is, therefore, the McConnell shutdown. The method by which bills become law does not change because Cryin' Chuck or Pelosi want it to.

polls show otherwise.

Polls do not determine people's feelings. People's feelings determine polls.

I don't think so Sparky.

We'll see in November 2020.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Now it's the McConnell shutdown? Didn't you say that the blame was squarely on the shoulders of the Democrats?

If you can't see that Trump is a con-man.... then congratulations.... you're the mark.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

Actually, I have been saying for some time now that McConnell was taking the blame by not bringing any bills to the floor of the Senate. Trump simply cannot be to blame because no bills have been presented to him yet. Every time you make the statement he is, you simply demonstrate how little you understand of the political process.

It also takes two to tango. No one person can shut down the government unless they simply choose to do so without regard to policy. Pelosi as Speaker of the House and McConnell as Senate Majority Leader can do so; Trump cannot, as his veto power is override-able. So yes, I blame Pelosi and the Democrats as well. I concentrate on them because I believe a wall of some kind is an absolute necessity for border security and that border insecurity is endangering the citizens... and I have felt that way since Reagan. In that respect, I am not following Trump; Trump is following me.

You are throwing out talking points that have little to nothing to do with reality.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join