It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instead of Working To End Our Govt Shutdown - Thirty Democrats Fly to Puerto Rico to Relax.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Be ok with me if they just stayed there.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   
They could end it all by giving the pres what he asked for. But they sure are taking advantage of their extended vacation.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Both sides are holding the country ransom. To pretend otherwise is pure ignorance and partisanship.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
a reply to: carewemust

69 !
:p

Trump vents fury over Russia stories and again threatens national emergency

Holed up at the White House, Trump turned to the other subject dominating US politics: the partial government shutdown which, going into its 23rd day, is now the longest in history, eclipsing the record set under Bill Clinton.

He called on the Democrats to do a deal and again threatened to declare a national emergency if they don’t “come to their senses”.

“I have the absolute right to call a national emergency,” he said. “Other presidents have called national emergencies for lesser importance than this. I’d rather see the Democrats come back from their vacation and act. It would take me 15 minutes to get a deal done and everyone could go back to work.”

With polls showing Trump getting most of the blame, the president is toying with the idea of declaring a national emergency, bypassing Congress and funding the wall from existing federal revenue. Republicans are divided on the move and it would be certain to face legal challenges.

Bwahaha
Smart ass! You just gave me a good chuckle! Thanks you, t

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

are we gonna have to pay for a wall across the canadian border also, or will canada pay for that one? after all there's a human trafficking problem on the northern border also..
spectrumlocalnews.com... jvGaux46OY0V-W-oUS9CkiHk#
more than likely there's also a drug smuggling problem..
and well, probably the greatest number of illegal aliens in the states are in the form of canadians who have overstayed their visa!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
OOOOHHHH!! ! 250# of medical supplies. How many bottles of Jack Daniels is that??

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

They want to re open then talk. The President is a businessman and has seen that trick before. Like I took a job one time with a promise of a big pay raise in 6 months. It was a great offer so I took it. 7 Months later I was at another job.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I sure hope the chartered flight took over supplies of bottled water as well. I hear Puerto Rico is always in need of bottled water...

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Those are good ideas, and I can get behind them. That would be a proposal. But...

San Diego already has a fence!

Understand that... the door only works to concentrate the flow of traffic across the border if it is in some sort of physical barrier. You simply can't try to fence in 100 acres by putting up 100 feet of fence with a gate in it, and saying the livestock will all go through the gate if they try to get out. That is beyond ludicrous. In San Diego, there is a Port of Entry with a fence extending to both sides. That's why the Port of Entry works.

There are 2000 miles of border without any sort of physical barrier. Fancy gadgets will not work there because there is no physical barrier.

All San Diego needs is a fence, probably. They have a Port of Entry right there with a CBP station, agents on duty 24/7, and a bustling metropolis full of people along both sides of that fence. They have manpower right there on site. In areas where there is no CBP station or substantial metropolis for 100 miles, a wall is necessary. There are also areas where the natural terrain makes it difficult if not impossible to cross... we don't need anything there except maybe drones or sensors.

The Democrats are trying desperately to leave gaping holes in the border with these cries against the wall... gaping holes that invite illegal border crossings because the chances of crossing undetected are quite good. Close those gaping holes, and I'm all for adding to the infrastructure in San Diego, including drones and sensors (like I have already advocated for in several posts in different threads), and about anything else the Democrats want. But to say because San Diego already has a barrier nowhere else needs one is about as disingenuous as you can get.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: TheRedneck

Not sure Trump is up for reasonable negotiation but perhaps Congressman Scott Peters has a starting point.

In this week’s address, Rep. Scott Peters discusses Democrats’ support for smart, effective border security solutions and calls on President Trump and Senator McConnell to re-open government now.

A 21st century solution for a 21st century problem.

We should listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about. It's an established fact there are very few drugs in California.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Maybe the Govt should be shut down permanently?
Pass some bill to fund only federal emergency and law enforcement and everyone else finds new jobs.
Good way to tackle the defecit and drain the swamp. I'd say about 1 in 10 (if that) of the govt workers are actually required or offer any value. The longher this shtdown goes on the longer it will become clear just how unnecessary the paper pushers are.

edit on 13/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
it my contention that the Dems that opted for a Carribbean get-away should get a Pass
they are not permitted to work behind Pelosi' back.... the Pelosi doctrine is No-Money for Wall PERIOD

so the partial shutdown Stands///no matter the jaw boning the lower ranked Dems participate in... after All she insists she has equal authority as POTUS

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The sticking point is Trump is demanding funding for his wall or nothing. You call that negotiating? The wall is a colossal waste of taxpayers' (that would be U.S. taxpayers') money. This isn't about border security, it is solely about Trump's Wall. And the undeniable stupidity is that the wall (if it were ever built) would cost at least 4 times the $5.7b Trump is demanding. Giving him that money when there is no financial mechanism to fund the building of the entire project is like funding 100ft of a required 500ft bridge. It would amount to throwing $5.7b away just so Donald gets what he wants.

edit on 13-1-2019 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Didn't Trump just walk out of the last negotiations?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

After they refused to even consider discussing any possibility for the wall.

NEITHER side is even willing to consider the possibility of compromise. They won't even discuss it.

Nothing will happen til BOTH sides are willing to discuss what the other side wants. As long as either side won't consider even discussing it, it's both sides fault.

No reason for Trump to talk to them if they won't even consider the wall, and no reason for them to talk to him if he won't even consider no wall.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yeah, (donations, bribes, quid pro quo)

This has nothing to do with the shutdown because there is no way barring WW3 that they would miss this.

They are going to a very large lobbyist event with 109 lobbyists and corporate executives to enrich themselves.

30 Democrats in Puerto Rico with 109 lobbyists for weekend despite shutdown
www.washingtonexaminer.com...

Some 109 lobbyists and corporate executives are named in the memo, a rate of 3.6 lobbyists for every member. They include those from several big K Street firms, R.J. Reynolds, Facebook, Comcast, Amazon, PhRMA, Microsoft, Intel, Verizon, and unions like the National Education Association.

edit on 13-1-2019 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
“Never, ever give up. … If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the other side of the wall.”

from a college graduation speech trump gave. lol

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Propagandalf

are we gonna have to pay for a wall across the canadian border also, or will canada pay for that one? after all there's a human trafficking problem on the northern border also..
spectrumlocalnews.com... jvGaux46OY0V-W-oUS9CkiHk#
more than likely there's also a drug smuggling problem..
and well, probably the greatest number of illegal aliens in the states are in the form of canadians who have overstayed their visa!!!

I’m pretty sure that over the last couple years people were hopping the border from the US into Canada. But no, we have much less to worry about from the first world than we do the third world, liberal democracies than we do narco-states.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
“Never, ever give up. … If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the other side of the wall.”

from a college graduation speech trump gave. lol

You guys wouldn’t know a metaphor if it hit you in the head. I can’t believe I’ve heard reference to this college speech more than once.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

So it's either Trumps way or the highway?
That's basically what you just said, how is that attempting to come to a compromise?

The dems have always been anti wall, what did he expect?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join