It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump has worked to conceal his communications with Putin from other government officials

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It is being reported tonight that Trump has worked to hide all details of his communications with Russian President Vladimir Putin for the entirety of his presidency. He has gone so far as to confiscate notes of the meetings from his own interpreter and telling him not to discuss anything covered in the meeting with anyone.

President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

.snip.

The defense from the Trump administration is that he is attempting to repair the relationship with Russia because Obama severely damaged it. According to Trump supporters the reason for the secrecy is that having aides present in these meetings will damage the rapport between Trump and Putin. However, there are other countries that Trump has accused Obama of damaging relations with that do not follow these same guidelines.

Former state department officials call this behavior extremely reckless and unprecedented.

Former U.S. officials said that Trump’s behavior is at odds with the known practices of previous presidents, who have relied on senior aides to witness meetings and take comprehensive notes then shared with other officials and departments.

Trump’s secrecy surrounding Putin “is not only unusual by historical standards, it is outrageous,” said Strobe Talbott, a former deputy secretary of state now at the Brookings Institution, who participated in more than a dozen meetings between President Bill Clinton and then-Russian President Boris Yeltsin in the 1990s. “It handicaps the U.S. government — the experts and advisers and Cabinet officers who are there to serve [the president] — and it certainly gives Putin much more scope to manipulate Trump.”

Democratic lawmakers have expressed their intention to launch an investigation to understand the substance of the 5 Trump/Putin meetings. Doing so is well within their oversight rights under the constitution.

Rep. Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said in an interview that his panel will form an investigative subcommittee whose targets will include seeking State Department records of Trump’s encounters with Putin, including a closed-door meeting with the Russian leader in Helsinki last summer.

“It’s been several months since Helsinki and we still don’t know what went on in that meeting,” Engel said. “It’s appalling. It just makes you want to scratch your head.”

If these secret meetings occurred within a vacuum it is likely that there would not be much fuss about them. However, since Trump has made many other Pro-Russian moves these secret meetings take on a whole different hue.

The concerns have been compounded by actions and positions Trump has taken as president that are seen as favorable to the Kremlin. He has dismissed Russia’s election interference as a “hoax,” suggested that Russia was entitled to annex Crimea, repeatedly attacked NATO allies, resisted efforts to impose sanctions on Moscow, and begun to pull U.S. forces out of Syria — a move that critics see as effectively ceding ground to Russia.

At the same time, Trump’s decision to fire Comey and other attempts to contain the ongoing Russia investigation led the bureau in May 2017 to launch a counterintelligence investigation into whether he was seeking to help Russia and if so, why, a step first reported by the New York Times.

In addition to those Trump has also repeated a Russian version of history for the invasion of Afghanistan. Trump claimed Russia invaded Afghanistan to combat terrorism but this is simply not true. Historians agree that Russia invaded Afghanistan to prop up a communist regime. The only people who try to sale it as a terrorism fight are the Russians. I wonder where Trump heard this:

“Russia used to be the Soviet Union. Afghanistan made it Russia, because they went bankrupt fighting in Afghanistan. Russia. … The reason Russia was in Afghanistan was because terrorists were going into Russia. They were right to be there. The problem is, it was a tough fight. And literally they went bankrupt; they went into being called Russia again, as opposed to the Soviet Union. You know, a lot of these places you’re reading about now are no longer part of Russia, because of Afghanistan.”

At this point if you can't admit that there is something fishy going on between Trump and Putin, you need to reevaluate yourself.

[1] Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration
[2] Trump’ s bizarre history lesson on the Soviet Union, Russia and Afghanistan
edit on Sat Jan 12 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote and made PARAGRAPHS IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+54 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

At this point if you can't admit that there is something fishy going on between Trump and Putin, you need to reevaluate yourself.

Haha, good stuff.

It's secret so it must be nefarious!

I love liberal logic, it keeps me laughing.

edit on 12-1-2019 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

+43 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Considering how many Obama holdovers there are in Government I don’t blame him. Communications with foreign states is usually secret. How is this news?

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Haha, good stuff.

You didn’t read my post did you?

It’s not simply because it’s secret. It’s because it is unprecedented activity by the president that is only used for Russia. Then you add in all the pro Russian moves made by the Trump administration and all the other “smoke” such as the Trump tower meeting, Manafort giving polling data to Russia, etc. The list is extremely long and it all centers on Russia.

I mean it only took one guy saying “Hey, I think Obama wasn’t born in the USA” for you guys to buy into him not being an American citizen but even with all this evidence you say, “Nah, it’s all good”

Double standards?

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Considering how many Obama holdovers there are in Government I don’t blame him. Communications with foreign states is usually secret. How is this news?

Why only hide your activities with Russia then? Why wouldn’t he hide his meetings with all diplomats? Also, why hide the interactions from his own officials he hired?

+45 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Seems sensible to me.
The level of leaks and selective reporting to try and take down the administration would seem to warrant such security.
Looks like the media can't get information so the new angle is... "We can't get illegal leaks from our sources - there must be a conspiracy!"

Do you not ever get tired of beating a dead horse???
edit on 12/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

Haha, good stuff.

I mean it only took one guy saying “Hey, I think Obama wasn’t born in the USA” for you guys to buy into him not being an American citizen but even with all this evidence you say, “Nah, it’s all good”

A double dose of lib logic today?

When the hell did I ever say Obama wasn't born in the US?

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The fact that the two most powerful Nuclear Armed nations are talking is a bloody good thing.

People don't understand that Russia, China and America are working together to destroy the Deep State.

At the end of this mostly silent war, we may end up with the three greatest powers finding common ground to cease the endless wars.

Past enemies working together with an aim to end the madness of the past century, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Middle East, war war war and more war, is a great undertaking and it is about time.

Save me from your words of destruction!

Bring dialogue and friendship, 'tis far far better than constant war.

P

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
How are you supposed to talk about blackmail and money laundering if there are records of the conversations?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
secrecy -

“It handicaps the U.S. government — the experts and advisers and Cabinet officers who are there to serve [the president] — and it certainly gives Putin much more scope to manipulate Trump.”

trump sure looked beat up after the Helsinki meeting.

they talked about Syria a few times. interesting considering..

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Peace is considered bad if it's because of Trump. Thought you knew

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Russia, china and the US are working to destroy the deep state? is that a Q thing?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Why wouldn’t he hide his meetings with all diplomats?

How do you know he hasn't? Like everyone else without access to NSA spying toys you're just as reliant on what the "deep State" keep feeding "impartial journalists"

hahahaha

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Keep up the spoon fed delusions. Your facts are reliant on your feelings apparently. This strange disease is running rampant these days.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Seems sensible to me.
The level of leaks and selective reporting to try and take down the administration would seem to warrant such security.
Looks like the media can't get information so the new angle is... "We can't get illegal leaks from our sources - there must be a conspiracy!"

Do you not ever get tired of beating a dead horse???

Of course, perfectly normal behavior. The president hides his conversations with the leader of the country he is accused of colluding with and only that country. Yep, perfectly reasonable.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
a reply to: underwerks

Keep up the spoon fed delusions. Your facts are reliant on your feelings apparently. This strange disease is running rampant these days.

You’re right. Working this hard to conceal the content of these meetings just screams innocence.

What was I thinking.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Glad you agree.
After the leak of information from the Oval office, where Trump did nothing wrong, the media were trying to spin 3rd hand information as treason and the death penalty.
It's good that you can now see why there would be a tight control on any meeting he has with Putin to ensure the media can't string together some propaganda from any snippet of an official source.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

Haha, good stuff.

You didn’t read my post did you?

It’s not simply because it’s secret. It’s because it is unprecedented activity by the president that is only used for Russia. Then you add in all the pro Russian moves made by the Trump administration and all the other “smoke” such as the Trump tower meeting, Manafort giving polling data to Russia, etc. The list is extremely long and it all centers on Russia.

Double standards?

First off, there really isn't a reason normally to read your extended version with your opinions inserted OP... you just read your title and YouTube search for the 20 seconds CNN or Voxx took to say it.

Secondly, you mean all the Pro-Russian moves he has made like more sanctions, helping Poland, getting Mercle to not buy Russian oil/Nat Gas and shoring up NATO... which has essentially turned Russia's economy off?

Those pro-putin actions?

Third, the people that brought up the birther thing was Hillary's campaign.

And when do intelligent people like yourself look at a political map and realize that the Ukraine and Russia are different in Manrfort's circumstances?

I was joking a little bit with the last paragraph... I will let you figure out which part.

edit on 12-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Why wouldn’t he hide his meetings with all diplomats?

How do you know he hasn't? Like everyone else without access to NSA spying toys you're just as reliant on what the "deep State" keep feeding "impartial journalists"

hahahaha

Because if he was that would have been the response from the Trump administration. Instead their response was that he is doing this to improve relations with Russia. If this was a new policy for how he deals with all countries that’s what they would have said, but they didn’t.

Plus, if you go back and look at his meetings with other heads of state, you can easily see that other members of the administration were in those meetings.

That’s how I know.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join