It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium’s Prime Minister Resigns After Revolt Over Migration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I didn't even know this happened a few weeks ago.

NYTimes

BRUSSELS — Belgium’s prime minister, under pressure from the right and left, submitted his resignation Tuesday in the face of a populist revolt over his migration policy, which opponents say threatens Belgian sovereignty.

Prime Minister Charles Michel’s problems echo those of other European leaders, including President Emmanuel Macron of France, who are trying to maintain centrist governments in the face of opposition from both flanks.

Looks like Europeans have had enough and it took a lot longer than I would have thought. See what I like about Europeans is that when they begin experiencing economic or social injustice rather than just tell each other to shutup and deal with it with a slave mentality they actually do something about it.

edit on 12-1-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

'over his migration policy'

What policy is that "Let them all in and, after that, let even more in"? lol

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

'over his migration policy'

What policy is that "Let them all in and, after that, let even more in"? lol

According to the OP's source:

Right-wing allies of Mr. Michel’s center-right government abandoned him earlier this month, angry over his migration policy which had Belgium join a United Nations accord that agrees to share the burdens of immigration. Left-wing opponents, meanwhile, demanded more ambitious environmental policies, lower taxes and more affordable prescription drugs.

The United Nations pact that created such angst was ratified this month, and will be signed in New York on Wednesday. It calls for providing migrants with basic services, improving legal paths to migration and using detention as a last resort.

“The fruit of your government with the N-VA (read right wing) is fear among the population, the fear of people to lose what they have, the fear of migrants,” she said. “The N-VA seeks only one thing: to sabotage Belgium.”

edit on 12-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It’s a really interesting thread but I must say... ‘Europeans’ is a sweeping generalisation.

The Belgians are different from the Spanish. The Portuguese are different from the Poles. The Bulgarians are different from the Scottish. The Greeks are different from the Welsh. Etc etc

Sorry. I wouldn’t normally pull someone up like this but it needs to be understood by people that the 28 countries that make up Europe are completely different in culture, behaviour and beliefs.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Good for them. Take responsibility and power. Be free. Enjoy!
edit on 1 12 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
It’s a really interesting thread but I must say... ‘Europeans’ is a sweeping generalisation.

The Belgians are different from the Spanish. The Portuguese are different from the Poles. The Bulgarians are different from the Scottish. The Greeks are different from the Welsh. Etc etc

The averege Joe - or Jose - is different across the different European countries. The people in power are exactly the same, same agenda, same masters.... though that seems to be changing as the Joe's and Jose's seem to be pushing back and demand new leaders that actually have their interests at heart.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

sometimes it's ok to generalize, no need to be an sjw about it and pick it apart

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

sometimes it's ok to generalize, no need to be an sjw about it and pick it apart

Ok I kind of knew you would go on the defensive. It’s hard to give criticism and not offend. My bad.

The sentence where you state Europeans ‘actually do something about it’... that only applies to France, not the whole of Europe.

However, If discussing Regulations and general policy then yes, of course Europe can be discussed as one whole. But the fact polarising cultures are forced to abide by the same regulations is exactly the problem with the European Union.

You will find though that many EU countries will take it lying down. A couple won’t. But to think otherwise is an illusion. I wish it wasnt true but we all have too much to lose.

And I’m not mentioning this to abuse or insult you. It’s because I value truth and facts rather than anything else.

Like I said before, good thread.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Sorry. I wouldn’t normally pull someone up like this but it needs to be understood by people that the 28 countries that make up Europe are completely different in culture, behaviour and beliefs.

Well ^^^that^^^ will soon change the way the EU is going.

Thats what provoked Brexit for the UK.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Not really in this case as that’s the problem with EU parliament and why many want out. We aren’t one nation and never will be.

The migration policy is ridiculous too not in any country’s interests.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

who has time for that nonsense

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Not really in this case as that’s the problem with EU parliament and why many want out. We aren’t one nation and never will be.

yeah well I mean, Northern Europe and Southern Europe are massively different. This is the argument that was made in the Federalist vs Anti Federalist during the creation of the US.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Exactly. Despite what the media tells us.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

who has time for that nonsense

Time for what? Logical discourse and facts? Clearly not you today.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

This has been going on for a month, ever since that yellow vest thing started in France. Here is a short link from back then. Brussels protest against UN migration pact turns violent

The US news just doesn't report it because it goes against their agenda. Speaking of the yellow vests, that is ongoing also, in fact it is spreading to other places like England. They have demonstrated in France every weekend but if you only read US news, it seems like it was over a month ago. Check out Voice of Europe.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

yeah well I mean, Northern Europe and Southern Europe are massively different. This is the argument that was made in the Federalist vs Anti Federalist during the creation of the US.

If you want to have fun, watch a person from rural Maine talk to Cajun from the bayou. Funny, because the Cajuns are the French colonists who settled the Canadian maritime provinces (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) in the 1600s, not that far from Maine. The settlers named their region "Acadia," and were known as Acadians. After the Brits took Canada in 1713, they harassed the Acadians to become protestant (they were catholic) , pulled crap like burning their farms, forcing them into the military, and eventually putting them on ships to the west indies, where some wound up in French held New Orleans.

Anyway, we have a variety of cultures in the US. Supposedly we all speak the same language though....
edit on 12-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Great, perhaps whoever comes in next can clear up the Dutroux pedophile case while they are at it.
Seriously... Some things are are important, other things more so.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

The sentence where you state Europeans ‘actually do something about it’... that only applies to France, not the whole of Europe.

You are not up to date on current news , are you ?
One out of touch for at least 2 years should not make declarations such as that

edit on 1/12/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join