It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to send Warships to the Atlantic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

The Iranian navy will send warships to deploy in the Atlantic from March, a top commander said on Friday, as the Islamic Republic seeks to increase the operating range of its naval forces to the backyard of the United States, its arch foe..Iran sees the presence of U.S. aircraft carriers in the Gulf as a security concern and its navy has sought to counter that by showing the flag near American waters.

A flotilla will leave for the Atlantic early in the Iranian new year, starting from March, Iran’s naval deputy commander said.

“The Atlantic Ocean is far and the operation of the Iranian naval flotilla might take five months,” Rear-Admiral Touraj Hassani was quoted as saying by the state news agency IRNA.

He said Sahand, a newly-built destroyer, would be one of the warships. Sahand has a flight deck for helicopters and Iran says it is equipped with anti-aircraft and anti-ship guns, surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles and has electronic warfare capabilities.

Hassani said in December that Iran would soon send two to three vessels on a mission to Venezuela.

figure the odds these guys could do anything and make it back safely.
maybe they'll rescue Maduro from the angry populace.
a step closer to WWIII? or just target acquisition practice for the US Navy / intel community?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

They said this before and it never materialized.

Not a threat....not WWIII.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Thing about sending warships to places, is that you need to make that there are countries in the vicinity (or en route) who help in case breakdown. Let's hope they dont't have any embarrassing problems, eh?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

What is the issue with them send warships to places. Iran is historically a peaceful nation. When was the last time they started a war.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The Iranian navy will send warships to deploy in the Atlantic

This is a good chance for everyone to stay on topic but also have some fun.

First, for you older boxing fans: Who remembers the Larry Holmes fight with Tex Cobb? Holmes hit the defenseless Cobb at will and battered the poor guy all 15 rounds. Think of it 45 minutes of legal assault and battery to Tex Cobb by Larry Holmes. He played with the guy for the whole fight, never even trying to bring him down, just relentlessly beating him with short jabs and semi-soft touch punches. Can we draw an analogy as to what the US Navy will do to an Iranian ship in the Atlantic? The Signal jamming harassment, the mach 2 flyovers, the submarine tickles from below?

This is like someone dropping a trembling Chihuahua into a pen full of pit bulls.

About a scary as a squirrel showing up and chattering in my back yard as I am gutting and butchering a 6 point buck.

Come on ATS - have some fun!

edit on 12-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: SP _ point not pint

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Send'em some kabobs via drone.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So what are they gonna do? Go fishing?

Seems like a waste of resources. If they are going to harass US ships they may find themselves at the bottom of the Atlantic.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Thing about sending warships to places, is that you need to make that there are countries in the vicinity (or en route) who help in case breakdown. Let's hope they dont't have any embarrassing problems, eh?

"Nice little task force you got there. Shame if something were to happen to it..."

edit on 12-1-2019 by ElGoobero because: add kewl pic

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

What is the issue with them send warships to places. Iran is historically a peaceful nation. When was the last time they started a war.

Peaceful nations dont sponsor terrorist and send IED's.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Don't they have better things to do?

Iran isn't exactly known as a seafaring nation...other than locally. Or haven't been for centuries, any way.

Obviously, the three ship flotilla constitutes no threat to anyone, much less the U.S. I'm sure they'll be monitored by the Navies of several nations on their way to the Atlantic...

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The only reason I can think of is if they want to reinforce Venezuela.

Or perhaps Argentina has asked for help with the Falklands (Malvinas).

Other than that...maybe they just want to party?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Come on purples Iran are stoking the flames in the ME right now and creating conflict all over the place as well as spreading their version of Abrahamic God worship.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
-OMG- This is surely the sign of the beginning of WW3, everyone to your bunkers, quick...

edit on 12/1/19 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Come on purples Iran are stoking the flames in the ME right now and creating conflict all over the place as well as spreading their version of Abrahamic God worship.

The media says Iran is peaceful. Some people have no choice but to believe that.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I kind of laughed when I read the post.... Here are two of their "war ships" They got some pretty old ones that are bigger...not going to say it is an issue though..

edit on 15-1-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
After reading this, the following can be stated:

Ok, this is ambitious for the Iranians. They have never been that far from home before on the water. And the first question would be the route that they would take, along with the ships needed. They could try going around the horn of Africa, however, that would be bit hard on the sailors, as it is not a rout that many navies take due to the currents and the weather is unpredictable. So they would have to travel through the Suez canal, and then through the Straits to the Atlantic.

Now there is the logistics, being that the ships would need fresh water, food and fuel. If the ships are advanced, they would have desalinization plants to make the fresh water. But the food and fuel would be required. Even the US navy on deployment, has to refuel and get fresh food delivered to it. And that is a set of maneuvers as well.

If they are smart, the will make a few deals and agreements with other countries in the area, on both sides of the Atlantic. But from the sound, they want to have ships close to the Caribbean sea, and thus they would want to have help from say Venezuela to be a port of call for their ships, that way they would have a means for the fuel, water and food that would be needed for long term on the water.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm sure Cuba will be happy to help them

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

The media says Iran is peaceful. Some people have no choice but to believe that.

Exaxtly..................... How can that MSM view point be reality when both Israelis and Arabs agree that biggest stumbling block to peace in the ME is Iran

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Knowing the age and condition of their warships, I'll be amazed if they even make it out of the Med. They will spend more time in port than they will underway.

top topics

join