It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Royal Institution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm binge watching the Tube and found this
It's fun to watch with many smart people giving talks about the fundamental truths of science.

He's a

very

theoretical physicist.

I just wanted to put it out here because we discuss really many fancy ideas around here, without really getting it. Those talks are easy to understand without dumbing it down too much. Some of them I had to watch twice.
Enjoy

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
If you have the chance to watch, be around, or interact with smart folks, I suggest you take that opportunity.

Good find!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This has been going for a long time.
One of my grandfather's school prizes is a book called Starland, based on a series of Christmas lectures about astronomy delivered to "young people" at the Royal Institute, by the astronomer Sir Robert Ball- original delivery 1881 and 1887.
The book was passed on to me and taught me everything I know about astronomy (except that he did not know any planets beyond Neptune).

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

There are even Q&A to every talk!

"We don't even know if there's a time of before the big bang", I mean it's discussing the fundamentals everybody should be interested in.
Happy you're enjoying it.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It's really a great institution. Lucky you for having that book! It just shows that science wants to raise the undersanding of everything in everybody.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ri is fantastic.

It's like TED but with scrutiny for their presenters.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think the Christmas lectures were better. Please, please look up Eric Laithwaites lectures on gravity and centrifugal force.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I just wanted to put it out here because we discuss really many fancy ideas around here, without really getting it.

They express the concepts so well that it's like being a scientist for the duration of the lecture. I get it, I get it, I get it. Next day? I don't get it!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are awesome too. They go into great detail to explain everything from biology to physics to chemistry.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
I'm binge watching the Tube and found this
It's fun to watch with many smart people giving talks about the fundamental truths of science.

Or at least giving talks on the search for the fundamental truths of nature, or our current understanding of what those truths might be.

Having said that, I do feel (as this lecture tells us) that the idea that everything in nature is just disturbances in different fields is closer to the fundamental truth than the idea that matter ands energy are little "balls of stuff" such as electrons, protons, neutrons, and photons. We call the fundamental things "particles", but they are not the balls of stuff that we normally think a particle is. Instead, they are excitations in fields.

edit on 1/12/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join