It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop giving your kids stupid names!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
One of my closest friends named his kid after a carrot.

Okay now that your mind has taken the time to digest that, here's the brief story. There is a franchise called Dragonball and the main characters' real name is Kakarot-the name of my friends latest child-which loosely translated to Japanese is 'carrot.' I asked him why that name and not another character, he responded by saying his wife wouldn't let him.

I couldn't reply, I was so dumbfounded my brain packed it's bags and went on vacation.

Excuse the caps lock but WHY?!? Some of these parents should turn off their f'in ego for once. Kanye west, who despite all the sensible names in the baby name book, named his child after a direction on a f'in compass. And look at Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban-they named one of their children 'Sunday rose' that's not a childs' name, that's the name of a f'in racehorse!

'And coming around the final bend is Sunday Rose who leads by a furlong and if there isn't a miracle there's nothing but daylight..."

I beg off thee, thou, or though (my brain went on vacation again) if you are an expecting couple or single mother please take the time to consider their name-they are not a pet. I was named after my forefathers, not something that can improve your eyesight.

edit on 12-1-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Sorry but
It’s 2018 not 1818

“The cake is a lie”, really

Why not just call yourself “bob” on ats

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Yes I agree, but how do we decide what some one else thinks make them look 'cool'? Maybe decided by a panel but I would never approve of that or some high level Judge deciding.

If they would go with a limited # of letters used it wouldn't stop it. The only way would be to be like a Nazi or like the English made the Welsh in the 14th Century or so and demand names meet a certain style.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Couldn't agree more.

Naming your child something assinine should be considered child abuse.

Didn't take google long to find a lot of fine examples- but of course the top 100 hits were literally all clickbait websites of this exact topic.

Lots of golden examples HERE of children who should have been immediately taken away from their parents and put up for adoption.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Sorry but
It’s 2018 not 1818

“The cake is a lie”, really

Why not just call yourself “bob” on ats

It's a username, like many people use, allow Chandler Bing to explain, in simple terms.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

Yes I agree, but how do we decide what some one else thinks make them look 'cool'? Maybe decided by a panel but I would never approve of that or some high level Judge deciding.

If they would go with a limited # of letters used it wouldn't stop it. The only way would be to be like a Nazi or like the English made the Welsh in the 14th Century or so and demand names meet a certain style.

Could always go Sweden's route and have a list of government approved names.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Though that's kind of ridiculous too.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm going to name my child Moonlight the Stargazer.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I dated a young lady named "Snow White" in college.

Yep.

I banged Snow White.

Come at me bro!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Righteous Rant!

Totally agree!

I have some suggestions for some of these "parents"...here are some more kid's names for you:

- Surstromming

- Steeming Pyle

- Gigolo

- Doosh'omatic

- Meat Popcycle

- Morning Sychness

- Jerkee Stick

- Come'at Meebroh

- R U Mydaddy

- Melon Head Mike

- Broken Vaginia

- Jethro Yoda

and best of all...

- Oops!

- Mike Drop

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Hehe, I remember reading a story about a Belgian guy who had the surname Pot. He wanted to call his daughter Bloem, the Dutch for flower. The Belgian government said no. LOL

I think the Dutch also do the same thing with regard to naming policy. I thought it was funny. There were a few other funny combinations reported as being forbidden but I forgot those.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You forgot Chlamydia, such a beautiful girl's name.

I had a friend who called one child Summer and the other Sky. True story.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

He wanted to call his daughter Bloem, the Dutch for flower.

At least he didn't want to call her "Blome"

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Baby naming laws, this is old but still interesting

mentalfloss.com...

The crazy name of Abcde, was recently in the news

The funniest name video ever. Inner city black teacher goes ti the suburbs

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I named my daughter Tanith after one of my favourite authors.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Oh, I left a bunch off!

Klamidia is such a cute name!

And then there is....

- Iknowyou R Butwhatami

- Wayt...WOT

- Shart

- Porky Platypus

- Dirk Deepdigger

- Eleventy Sevin

- Brok Dick Billy

- Damn Walmart Condoms

- Mo Cheddah

- Anyl Polip

- Gubbmint Cheeze

edit on 1/12/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

You need to find a girlfriend first lol

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have close friends-sisters-named Day, Dawn and Eve. Beautiful through and through. "What's in a name?"

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

OK, don't know if this is off-topic or self-indulgent, but here goes.

My first name is my grandmother's maiden name. My older sister's first name is my mother's maiden name. Both are reflective of an Irish heritage.

When I was young (b 1962) no kids had first names like ours. People thought they were “unique” and commented on them often. Later in life, I notice more and more children having the first names as mine and my sister, and now they are somewhat common. For instance, in 2017 the popularity of my first name (SSA popularity index) is 892, which represents 0.045 on males. In 1962, it did not make the charts at all (that I could find).

My first name is not odd or strange, just out of the ordinary for a first name. When you have a “unique” first name two things happen – one, everyone remembers your name and two, no one forgets your name. This has been a bit of a problem for me, because when I meet 20 people at a business gathering or a social event, people can call me by my first name for week, months or years later, long after I have forgotten all the Jim, Janes, Joes, Sam and Bobs I was introduced to. I am pretty good at playing it off with “hey how are you doing, good to see ya, and yo – whats up.”

On the topic of first names, many countries limit or the government must approve a first name, mostly to avoid offending the dominant power structure or hurting the children: Azerbaijan, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland....etc.

A naming law restricts the names that parents can legally give to their children, usually to protect the child from being given an offensive or embarrassing name. Many countries around the world have such laws, with most governing the meaning of the name, while some only govern the scripts in which it is written.
Wiki
I personally think parents should think this through. But maybe they are. If you are in the entertainment business and think your kids should follow in your career path, a strange first name might help.

Another thing to consider is how many syllables are in a first name, because many times it gets shortened by others anyway. Thomas becomes Tom, Richard becomes Rich or dick, etc. My son Skyler is called Sky all of the time by family or friends. I call my wife Sherry “Cher” all the time. I Knew a guy in the Army (1980's) named “Alphonso,” and everyone called him “Al”. Unfortunately his last name was Kata. I know his life became a living hell after 9/11.

Other interesting Names:

Richard Weed Chevrolet. This was a huge new and used car dealership outside of Philadelphia. Weed Chevrolet was a family owned and operated Chevrolet Dealership. They had served Philadelphia and Bucks County since 1926. Unfortunatly they closed a few years back. Until the mid-1990s they would have commercials running all the time with “Come see Richard Weed Chevrolet for the best deal in new and used cars..” I bought 2 verticals from them. AT some point they changed the name, and then closed – wonder why?

Jim Floor. He went to high school with my wife in eastern Montana, and she mentioned his name one day. I asked if he got a lot of teasing because of his name, and she gave me a blank stare. I said “ya know JIM, Like GYM floor?” She commented that she never noticed it before.

About 15 years ago I worked with a young woman named Rebecca Boob. Everyone called her “Becky.” Becky Boob. She got married in a hurry, so problem solved.

Like Garrison Keillor, I actually knew a old man in Minnesota who's first name was “Senator.” I also new and old guy named “Governor.” I imagine a lot of their lives were pretty sweet at times having a first name like that.

A retired neighbor of mine in Minnesota was named Gladys Munch. Her husband would call her “Glad Ass a Munchin'” when he had a few drinks.

That is all I got...

Thank you for your attention.

edit on 12-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: sp, incomlpete post

edit on 12-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram

And what makes you think I don't have one?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join