It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers discover a cow in space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:34 AM
link   
You read that right-a cow. want proof? here's photographic evidence.

Now I know what your'e thinking "that's no cow-cake must've stopped taken his medication again" but this is a different and special cow-that image above is the first to be taken of the exact moment a star collapsed.

After combining several imaging sources, including hard X-rays and radiowaves, the multi-institutional team now speculates that the telescopes captured the exact moment a star collapsed to form a compact object, such as a black hole or neutron star. The stellar debris, approaching and swirling around the object's event horizon, caused the remarkably bright glow.

"We think that 'The Cow' is the formation of an accreting black hole or neutron star," said Northwestern's Raffaella Margutti, who led the research. "We know from theory that black holes and neutron stars form when a star dies, but we've never seen them right after they are born. Never."

Now this was presented two days ago, and from what i've read the consensus is the numbers are crunched and there is little doubt. Now what does this mean? for astrophysicists it's Happy Eastbirthmas as this will help with their research, but I'm far more excited for another reason...life. Now stars gave their lives so we can have our our own, supernovae create the heavier elements that make complex biology possible which is how i'm typing right now. Now this collapse happened 200 light years away, which means it happens 200 million years ago.

Maybe, on a planet inside the galaxy CGCG 137-068, some little critter is swimming in the primordial ooze, about to undergo on a billion year journey. The thing is this galaxy is relative close, others are older so maybe something happened a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Hey, you can't blame one for daydreaming.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

It happened two hundred years ago, not two hundred million.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   

approx. 80 days after the initial blast... ish.. lol

i wonder if we can find a time lapse?

Wicked cool stuff there!!

S&F

edit on 12-1-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Fascinating!

But wouldn't such an event produce a powerful supernova, which would've been detected by most telescopes? Or did we miss the supernova, and are only observing its aftermath?
edit on 12-1-2019 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Some decent pics here i think... Don't mind the blond reading..LOL

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

It is 200 million light years away from us in a distant galaxy so 200 million years ago is the correct figure.
Major events like this occurring a million times closer could present a hazard for this fragile little planet we inhabit.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Everyone calm down. This is happened 200 million years ago.. it don’t exist anymore. now days. There is dogging spot for celestial beings.. ill post some photos of it in 200 million years time. Follow the tread.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

It is 200 million light years away from us in a distant galaxy so 200 million years ago is the correct figure.
Major events like this occurring a million times closer could present a hazard for this fragile little planet we inhabit.

From the OP...

Now this collapse happened 200 light years away, which means it happens 200 million years ago.

Which is what I responded to.

edit on 12-1-2019 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I think the "200 light years" is the typo (omission), and it should be "200 million light years" -- which would make it 200 million years ago.

There are no galaxies only 200 light years away. 200 Light years is practically the in the same neighborhood as us. So I think it's safe to assume from context that the distance was the OP's mistake, not the timescale.

edit on 1/12/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:45 AM
link   

This is the cow that jumped over the moon.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

This is the cow that jumped over the moon.

Udderly fascinating.

join