It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon legislature goes after firearms

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

And what has that "measured debate" accomplished?

Jack s#.

Debate is masturbation. Lube it up, brother.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Unfortunately, yes. ...and driving home prices through the proverbial roof. Which isn't horrible if you're selling...but buying is quite another matter.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Hate to break it to you, but I practice mine every day.

So what are you doing??

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

www.nraila.org...

It would create a permit that would be required to purchase or receive a firearm, with each permit requiring training and being valid for only 90 days

So, after 90 days you have to give it back?

limit purchases to one handgun and one long gun per 30 day period

Well, there go the firearms sales figures... down in OR, up in surrounding states. Someone wave bye-bye at the tax money.

require firearms be stored in a locked container or with a trigger/cable lock

"Excuse me, Mr. Criminal, I just need ten minutes to get my gun out of the safe, remove the trigger lock, and load it. I'll be right with you."

require reporting of lost or stolen firearms within 24 hours

Well, I certainly wouldn't be reporting a gun theft after 24 hours then... that would be like a confession, wouldn't it?

Hmmm... if someone were to manage to crack the gun safe of some of these politicians and then lock it back... I wonder if they check it every 24 hours? Or better yet, do it while they're on vacation!

prohibit the possession of ammunition magazines with a capacity greater than five

So revolvers are now illegal... except for those cheap Saturday Night Special .38s that hold 5 rounds and are so easily concealable, of course. Those are fine.

require background checks for purchasing ammunition

Oooh, I need to open a reloading shop just across the border!

restrict ammunition purchases to no more than 20 rounds within a 30 day period

Yep, because shooting practice is such a terrible thing. The absolute worse thing to have happen is for someone to hit their target; we all know that. Hitting innocent bystanders is much preferable.

and require firearm transfers to be delayed up to 14 days for the Oregon State Police to conduct background checks.

It takes 14 days to run a background check? That usually consists of typing in a few numbers and watching the screen. How long does it take Oregon cops to change a light bulb? 3.7 years?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

prohibit the possession of ammunition magazines with a capacity greater than five

1968 Federal Gun Law prevented importation of firearms that lacked a “sporting purpose and other certain features” meant that the Walther PPK, James Bond’s pistol, was changed to the PPK/S. What changed? It went from a six round magazine to a seven round magazine for the .380 model. And despite no longer being imported and actually made in the US, remains a seven round magazine.

So Oregon compliant semi-auto pistols that are 5 rounds:

Springfield XD-S 4.0 in .45 ACP
Kahr Arms PM45 in .45 ACP

Now there are five round magazines for the AR platform which means any AR pistol would qualify. And the same logic can be extended several different rifle in pistol form type of guns. So long as the short barrel rifle clause is not violated.

So with that in mind, the five round rule here is making for a more deadly situation in both caliber and function than leaving well enough alone. Because a 12 gauge slug is in all reality a .690 caliber round.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

That brings up a good point. The larger and more deadly rounds typically have smaller magazines, since the bullets are simply heavier (and more expensive). Also, the cylinder of a revolver can be considered a "magazine," as in a device that is designed specifically to hold ammunition... but how about the average pump shotgun? It loads one bullet at a time, in contrast to a revolver that can be fully loaded by using a speed-loader. Is that a magazine? I would think not, which means if this law does what it is designed to do (remove undesirable weapons from use), it will result in shooters using rapid-fire shotguns.

I wonder how many people are familiar with the difference between being hit with a single round from a .22 automatic and a 12-gage 00-buck shotgun? The former will punch a hole, which can either be fatal or can be little more than a painful nuisance depending on where one is hit, while the latter will remove large amounts of flesh over a wide area... that will be much more than a painful nuisance. If one is lucky, it will be several cosmetic operations to put the skin back in place, and very few are that lucky.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
9th district court of appeals ruled that several of these provisions are unconstitutional.....

Just another gaggle of idiots that have no idea what they're doing. Literally, the magazine ban especially, was ruled unconstitutional a few months ago lololololol

You can't fix stupid

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Isn't that what trumpets love though? Ask for more than you want and negotiate down? The art of the deal?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Is that what gun control advocates think? That laws are negotiations?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Enumerated rights are nothing more than poker chips in the Texas Hold'Em game where freedom is in the pot.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Good for them. We need less guns. Only mental defectives worship them. It’s long past time to repeal and replace the outdated 2nd amendment.
edit on 12-1-2019 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

Only mental defectives worship them.

I agree. Worship of any inanimate object is mentally problematic.

Of course, wanting to keep them is a long cry from worshiping them, too. You don't worship food do you? I'd bet you'd be pretty upset if someone tried to outlaw food, though!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't play Texas Hold 'Em. It's more profitable to just rob the game in progress.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Good for them. We need less guns. Only mental defectives worship them. It’s long past time to repeal and replace the outdated 2nd amendment.

It is interesting to see people openly advocating for infringing upon other peoples rights.

Authoritarians are unashamed of their tyrannical leanings.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If this happens in one state it'll happen in all of them, one by one. It will piss today's generation off but tomorrows generation will think its normal.

Is the government really so afraid that the people will one day unite and rise up against them?
Today any rebel group that forms can quickly be eradicated!

William Bill Cooper said that the CIA has the capability to eavesdrop into any conversation in the world at any time 24/7 and I believe it. Just because I believe it doesn't make it so but that's what he said and now he's dead, shot down in his front yard they put a bullet in his head.

It pisses me off to have to get any kind of license every year or two years. To me its just a form of taxation. It costs me money and wastes my time trying to comply and get the license renewed. Many times if the license is not renewed within a certain time frame it becomes a ticketable offense which again pisses me off. You are grounded until it is renewed!

Before long one day or more per week will be spent aquiring some sort of anual license renewal.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There are only three net effects from this legislative exercise.

1). Drive up NRA membership

2). Drive up ammo sales and interest in reloading your own ammo.

3). Cause existing gun laws to be treated with contempt.

A fourth, "ghost" effect will be to cause conspiracy-minded citizens to wonder whether liberal legislators are actually double agents for gun dealerships.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy

Yes, so it can be followed in repealment by the 4th then 5th amendment, quickly thereafter by the 1st amendment? But then again, that’s what the communist US Democratic Party and their worshippers are after, isn’t It?

Unless you’re one of those criminals who don’t like hunting prey that can defend itself?

Your inability to understand the principles of freedom is WAY more dangerous than any armed law abiding citizen...because that lack of understanding is clear evidence that the freedom ideals of the United States of America are not being taught from generation to generation, and those freedoms are destined to eventually die unless that path is reversed.
edit on 12/1/2019 by Lab4Us because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Fascist

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Indeed.

Worshiping any sort of tool is silly. But, doesn't the First Amendment allow for that without bias?? So you would violate someone's First Amendment rights, as well as their Second?

Damn. You're quite the wanna-be totalitarian, aren't you?
edit on 1/12/2019 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

1). Drive up NRA membership

Already being done. Though some reports indicate that it's rate is flattening out somewhat.

2). Drive up ammo sales and interest in reloading your own ammo.

It's only anecdotal, but the store where I purchase my ammunition is selling a bit more in the way of reloading supplies.

3). Cause existing gun laws to be treated with contempt.

Contempt? Utter and complete disdain, actually.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join