It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Workers Guaranteed Back Pay for Shutdown

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
Yay for the legislative branch, now all he has to do is sign it, right?

Will he or will he hold paychecks hostage to get his way?

What do you think? I think he will sign it.

edit on 11-1-2019 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: matafuchs

they will get paid.
yes
of course
but now they are not getting paid

i know many here think it is no big deal and their fault cause they work for the gov but it is a big deal and its not their fault.

All they have to do is give funding for the wall. We all know how Shumer and Pelosi feel about more security. Why would they even care if security forces get paid? They don't. They don't care if they get paid or they would pass the legislation to get them paid. Trump is for National Security. A wall will not hender our security it can only improve it.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: carewemust

Like AOC saying people are already losing their homes. It is a tragedy but everyday one more piece of the media attack is being removed.

Banks don't consider you in default until you've missed THREE mortgage payments. Only then do they even start investigating if a foreclosure is necessary and even then depending on the state, it could actually be a few years before the bank is even able to get through the courts and actually foreclose.

The first paycheck missed just happened, so no one should have missed three mortgage payments because of a shut down and be in danger of a foreclosure.

Fake News.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
Perhaps a shutdown will expose the poor personal money management that govt employees display at such times. I've heard said one should have six months of income for such an emergency...Reported was an anecdotal story of the poor 16 year fed. employee that was worried about feeding his family...in 16 years you should be able to save five percent a year and cover food, gas, whatever.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
All Pelosi has to do is okay the 5 billion and this can all be done with.

Why does she hate the common American worker so much!

So Trump shuts the government down after agreeing to keep it open because some talk show hosts complain that he hasn’t got his wall yet. And now it’s Pelosi’s fault because she won’t give into his demands?

That’s like Me telling you that I will sign a contract with you to keep our two companies working together for the next quarter with no changes to our current agreement. We get the contract drawn up but at the last minute you say you won’t sign unless we include a provision to fund the building of a statue. I say sorry but that’s not what we agreed to do. But now it’s my fault because I won’t build you a statue.......

Sorry that logic doesn’t check out.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

That’s like Me telling you that...

Not exactly; more like the other way around.

In 2018, Trump signed a massive Omnibus bill that many (including me) said was far to bloated and certainly NOT what we expected from Trump. Come to find out, he signed that based on a promise by Congress that a bill providing for the wall would be provided by the end of 2018. Congress reneged. No such bill was forthcoming. Cryin' Chuck and the Senate Democrats effectively blocked it (although I do generously grant the House Republicans plenty of blame for waiting to the last minute to introduce it).

Congress broke its promise. Period. So now Trump is demanding that Congress keep its promise. And that is somehow "immoral" and "extravagant" and a "crisis." It's happened before... but I'm not going to go into that. I remember that mentioning anything that happened before January 2017 evokes major issues for you. You're welcome.

You realize what that says about you and the other detractors, right? You do realize how much that shows you value honesty? It shows you for being completely dishonest and supportive of back room deals and corruption.

All Congress had to do was keep its promise, and there would be no shutdown. Now it's put up or shut up time. Congress has done neither, so it will be up to the American people in 2020 to decide if they want a US Congress that operates on lies and broken promises, or one that just does whatever they want whenever they want without any regard to the desires and needs of the American people. Of course the DNC is trying to spin this as all Trump's fault... but I have a little faith left in the people. I think enough will see through this charade to make the right choice.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Saturday January 12, 2019

CNN Headline: GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN IS LONGEST IN U.S. HISTORY!

As expected from this Anti-America terrorist organization, right at 12:00:01 tonight, CNN started bringing government employees before the camera, to describe how hard their lives have become.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Saturday January 12, 2019

CNN Headline: GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN IS LONGEST IN U.S. HISTORY!

As expected from this Anti-America terrorist organization, right at 12:00:01 tonight, CNN started bringing government employees before the camera, to describe how hard their lives have become.

??????????????????????
Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In what way is CNN a 'terrorist organisation' and why are they bad for practising basic journalism?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
Perhaps a shutdown will expose the poor personal money management that govt employees display at such times. I've heard said one should have six months of income for such an emergency...Reported was an anecdotal story of the poor 16 year fed. employee that was worried about feeding his family...in 16 years you should be able to save five percent a year and cover food, gas, whatever.

What a staggeringly arrogant quote. So it's their fault for not saving up enough money?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

why are they bad for practising basic journalism?

They're practicing basic sensationalism.

Nothing has happened to these "poor workers" thus far. Their paychecks didn't show up in the bank yesterday for the first time. A computer glitch can cause the same problem. They will be paid.

Now, should this drag on for a while (as the DNC apparently wants it to), things could get bad. People will start missing payments, their credit could be harmed, there is even the potential for repossessions at some future point. I'm curious how the benefits will work; will their health insurance remain in effect, for instance? That could be a problem for some. Some may at some point find themselves wanting for money for basics, like groceries.

But none of that has happened yet.

Anyone who is going under financially after one day without a paycheck was going under anyway. This is nothing more than pushing an agenda using sensationalism and is not "basic journalism." Run the same story in a month, and my response will be different... or would have. Now I'll just ignore it all as sensationalism, just like I dismiss any complaints about Trump needing to be impeached because the cries for that started even before he took office.

Everything is not a life-and-death emergency. People should learn that.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   

a reply to: Wardaddy454

1/11/2019

BREAKING: President Trump says that he's HOLDING OFF on declaring a National Emergency at the moment.
www.mercurynews.com...

Maybe he senses the mood of the country turning against Pelosi and Schumer.

Word is getting around how Schumer and Pelosi have been 100% for border barriers...for years. Right up until President Trump wanted to build upon the barriers Schumer and Pelosi put there, between 2007 and 2013.

Its hard to pretend that its not you on a youtube video saying as much.
edit on 12-1-2019 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

The point has been proven. Trump did not cave. It is up to the House to bring forth something that will work and NOT the other way around. For some reason Chuck and Nancy act like they are the same as the president and they are not. They work for him and not the other way around. There is no reason for Trump to back down any further.

Me thinks that someone needs to reread the constitution??
or maybe read a grade school level regarding the balance of powers, checks and balances, ect?
congress DOES NOT WORK FOR THE PRESIDENT!! they share the spot as coequal powers along with our judicial. it's that checks and balances that kind of helps to prevent us from descending into a dictatorship!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Banks don't consider you in default until you've missed THREE mortgage payments.

My mortgage company sent me a 30 day "notice of intent" because my most recent, on time, automatic payment was $3.45 short, after I failed to notice the increase.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

congress DOES NOT WORK FOR THE PRESIDENT!!

AMEN!

I have to point out that they also do not work for Pelosi and Schumer. Congress is a committee... there are 435 House Representatives and 100 Senators. Each is expected to vote in the interests of their constituents. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way as of late: every single Congressman seems to vote for whatever the "party line" (established by the party leaders in the Congress) happens to be that day.

In essence, Pelosi and Schumer have attained power in themselves almost co-equal to the President, which is not how it is supposed to work. That's the heart of what is wrong in Congress, and it also applies to the Republicans. The only reason I mention Pelosi/Schumer by name is that they are all over the news lately. McConnell and whoever is the Minority Leader in the House are also not supposed to have that kind of power in themselves.

I will feel better about the Democrats when they stop voting on every bill as a block, and the same goes for the Republicans.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You need a new mortgage company. That one seems to be broken.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

It's hard to know what is true or what isn't as far as what is being said at the current time.
but there is one thing I am pretty sure of, they ain't gonna keeps working without pay for long!!!
and yes, one paycheck could very well be greatly missed when is doesn't show up right after the holiday season.
by what I heard, which like I said, who knows if it's true or not, employees are complaining they don't have money to feed their cars so they can get to work. what's the government's solution to that one... well sleep in the parking lot!!! I wonder about the their cars being repoed myself, but I can see how some of them might be looking at their low bank accounts and having to make a decision between food for the family, or rent for the roof over their heads, or gas to get to the job that offers no set time of when they will be getting paid!! tell me, which would you chose? it's rather cold in some parts of the country at the moment and at least in my area, there's seems to be a nice storm heading our way... would you be willing to freeze you arse off trying to sleep in a car in the parking lot of your work place? wouldn't it be a tad bit more sensible, more humane to at least offer them the danged shelter that the workplace would provide them? ya know, I do believe the courts already ruled on this during a previous shutdown... the gov't is under the same legal responsibilities as any business in this regard... they can't expect them to work without pay!! the court ordered the gov't to pay them double the wages they earned the last time.

trump isn't the first president that has had to face a house with a majority from the opposition party. he's not the first one to have that house say no to him on issues they wanted pushed through. he is the first one to openly say that he would be proud to own a shutdown if he didn't get what he wanted. he's the first one to say he would keep it shut down for months, maybe years, if he didn't get what he wanted. he's the first one to mention he's actually considering declaring a national emergency so he can divert money from fema that has been allocated for relief in those areas of the country that have been in the path of the many hurricanes, fires, earthquakes, and floods because he can't get what he wanted. by doing what he is doing.... HE IS OPENING THE DOOR FOR A NATIONAL EMERGENCY!!!

and, isn't it interesting that all the while, his treasury secretary thought it was a good idea to try to slip the removal of the sactions of a russian oligarch, who if I remember right, is a big wig in the russian steel industry, through hoping no one would notice in time to stop it from happening!!
can I make a guess as how this would end up if he got his way???
russian oligarch steel company would be allowed to become co-owner of one of our steel manufacturers and get the contract for those steel slated fencing that one can saw through with your basic household saw, and russian oligarch and trump would share the profits earned!!!

I'm sorry if trump and others just can't understand how our gov't is supposed to work, but, it's not trump who gets the final say in how the money is spent!! when it comes to that, it's the speaker of the house who holds the most power!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

well, you also have McConnell refusing to bring any bill to the floor unless it has trump's support, so don't know what to tell ya. they had worked out a compromise that would have passed through congress, but then trump had a change of mind and said he wouldn't support it, so it got shot into the trash bin!!

maybe the federal workers would be better off spending their day dumpster diving for their food than going to a job that isn't gonna provide them with a paycheck!!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

It's hard to know what is true or what isn't as far as what is being said at the current time.
but there is one thing I am pretty sure of, they ain't gonna keeps working without pay for long!!!

I agree... all we really get now in the form of news is biased one way or another. And the workers will not continue to work without pay... even the most staunch among them will eventually start looking for other employment... my son already is (smart kid).

But, as to living in their cars because they can't afford gas... I think that is a little sensationalized. Federal employees make a good bit more on average than their private industry counterparts, especially when one considers benefits. Anyone who is working in a Federal job for any length of time and who doesn't have some savings to fall back on has made some pretty poor financial decisions. I do feel a lot of sympathy for the guy who just recently landed his nice cushy Federal job and hasn't had time to save, and my sympathy will grow towards those having financial difficulty as time goes on... but I simply think it is overly sensational at this time to try and show how terribly this shutdown has hurt Federal workers.

In 1985, I was laid off from a government job. Spur of the moment decision, too... the whole plant had been told just weeks before that we had the most secure jobs in the county. I took my week vacation I had coming, and in the middle of that week I found out by word of mouth that I was being laid off. Yeah, it was rough for a while, but I recovered and actually did better in private industry because I was a self-starter. I have been laid off from several different jobs since then, too... it happens. Employment is simply not a lifetime commitment. Getting laid off is not the end of the world... and furlough is certainly less disastrous than being laid off, since you will still get paid... someday...

trump isn't the first president that has had to face a house with a majority from the opposition party. he's not the first one to have that house say no to him on issues they wanted pushed through. he is the first one to openly say that he would be proud to own a shutdown if he didn't get what he wanted. he's the first one to say he would keep it shut down for months, maybe years, if he didn't get what he wanted.

You're right. He is not the first to face an opposition party in Congress, and he did say he would shut down the government if he didn't get funding for a more secure border. I find it literally amazing that Congress didn't take him up on that and pass bills he would then veto just to make sure he got the blame. He can hold no blame unless he vetoes a bill, because he does not control what Congress does. They don't work for him, but neither does he work for them.

However, he is also facing a more hostile opposition than any President I can remember, indeed, any President I have ever heard of having to face. The constant oppositional hysteria is astonishing. Were this a case of Trump demanding things that Congress did not want to give, and Congress actually making proposals designed to entice him to give in, I would feel much more empathy for Congress and much less for Trump. But the opposite seems to be true.

he's the first one to mention he's actually considering declaring a national emergency

The money should not come from FEMA efforts; agreed. I would consider that a black mark on Trump were he to take it from that fund while it was still needed for disaster victims. However, the purpose of the military is to protect the US from foreign invasion, and securing the border would certainly qualify. Using military funds I would not see as a problem. The National Emergency Declaration is really the only way, in this politically charged climate, to do what has to be done; how many times have Federal judges been found that are willing to sacrifice national security to assist the anti-Trump movement, apparently due to their membership? I can recall quite a few, some even going so far as to demand that already deported aliens must be returned to American soil, as though they had jurisdiction over other countries.

That is the true Constitutional Crisis we are experiencing: the "by any means necessary" thinking. That movement was not started by Trump; it was started by his detractors.

and, isn't it interesting that all the while, his treasury secretary thought it was a good idea to try to slip the removal of the sactions of a russian oligarch, who if I remember right, is a big wig in the russian steel industry, through hoping no one would notice in time to stop it from happening!!

I am unfamiliar with that, so I can't comment on it.

I will say this: I have been warning against this day since the first cries for impeachment before Trump took office. The warning has been that making up things in wholesale fashion to attack the man unjustly would create a climate where he could, if he wanted, get away with almost anything. There is a line in the animated movie "The Incredibles" where Mr. Incredible's nemesis, Syndrome, says, "...and when everyone is Super... *evil chuckle*... no one will be."

That is true. And it applies here. When every decision is a disaster... none of them will be. We as a nation have only ourselves to blame if Trump truly does get out of hand.

I'm sorry if trump and others just can't understand how our gov't is supposed to work, but, it's not trump who gets the final say in how the money is spent!! when it comes to that, it's the speaker of the house who holds the most power!

It is shared power.

The Speaker gets some extra power in deciding which bills will make it to a vote, but those votes are not whatever the Speaker wants... or shouldn't be. They should be a majority vote among 435 individuals. The Senate still has power there as well... 100 more votes.

But the Emergency Powers Act under which Trump can indeed make unilateral decisions is law, approved by Congress. I can see the wisdom in it, actually: should there be an armed invasion from Russia, or an attack on a major US city from a Russian bomb, would it be in our country's best interest to wait and twiddle our thumbs while 535 individuals, who have proven their inability to do much of anything except argue over the last half-century, try to figure out what to do and how much it should cost to do it? No! Our country's best interest is served by allowing the Commander in Chief to immediately respond with whatever force he and the military, as his advisors, think is appropriate. We can iron out the details with the pundits later.

The situation at the border is an invasion. That is not something I heard on any news channel. I know people who used to live there; I have stood on the border. It has been an invasion since the 1980s, and we have refused to do anything about it. There are human traffickers, sex traffickers, rustlers, drug runners, gang members coming across that border 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have no jurisdiction over them... if we see them crossing, they can either keep running and hope the US (in)Justice System is it's typical impotent self, or just step back across the border and throw stones at our Border Patrol. And of course, with decades of lax to no enforcement, things have steadily gotten worse.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

CNN just said their cars are being repossessed.

where's that quote, or did you just make that up

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

well, you also have McConnell refusing to bring any bill to the floor unless it has trump's support, so don't know what to tell ya. they had worked out a compromise that would have passed through congress, but then trump had a change of mind and said he wouldn't support it, so it got shot into the trash bin!!

Hey, I'm not going to argue with someone over the fact that McConnell is refusing to bring up bills for a vote. He is, and that makes the shutdown his fault as much as anyone. If he brings them to a vote and they get voted down, then it's the Senate's fault. If they pass and Trump refuses to sign them, then it's definitely Trump's fault because he already said he would do so and take the blame for it.

But until someone actually does or fails to do something, it is not their fault. Words don't mean squat alongside actions.

maybe the federal workers would be better off spending their day dumpster diving for their food than going to a job that isn't gonna provide them with a paycheck!!

That's pretty short-sighted. Once this shutdown is over, they will be paid. Many (like my son) will be paid for not even showing up for work!

I think you grossly overestimate how terrible this shutdown is.

TheRedneck

<< 1  2    4 >>

join