It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists speed up nanorobots by 100,000x fast enough to be molecular factories.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well it looks like a big breakthrough has been made with nanorobotics using electricity to propel nanobots fast enough to work on assembling things at the nano level much faster than ever before.

I think this is very interesting because it could bring about a new industrial revolution once the technology starts becomming more refined.

People have been waiting on nanobots to have a big breakthrough for a long time and this looks like it could be promising.

Anyways what do you think ATS?

Scientists at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) have developed a novel electric propulsion technology for nanorobots. It allows molecular machines to move a hundred thousand times faster than with the biochemical processes used to date. This makes nanobots fast enough to do assembly line work in molecular factories. The new research results appeared today as the cover story in the renowned scientific journal Science.

www.electronicsweekly.com...
TUM speeds up nanorobots by 100,000x
Scientists at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) have developed a novel electric propulsion technology for nanorobots.
It allows molecular machines to move a hundred thousand times faster than with the biochemical processes used to date. This makes nanobots fast enough to do assembly line work in molecular factories.

“By applying electric fields, we can arbitrarily rotate the arms in a plane,” explains the head of the Chair of Physics of Synthetic Biological Systems at TU Munich, Prof Friedrich Simmel.

edit on 11-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

In reading this, I realize that I've always thought of nanobots as something that would be used inside of people, animals, etc. to help with medical treatments, diagnoses, etc. However they could also have all sorts of industrial, non-biological applications.

Do we know how these things are propelled? Do they need to be suspended in some sort of liquid, or are they mobile in the atmosphere as well?

So many questions - cool topic, and thank you for sharing.

PS. I can't view the video - it seems to be blocked on the network I'm using, so forgive me if my questions seem out-of-context

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
So the grey goo will end the world faster

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

In reading this, I realize that I've always thought of nanobots as something that would be used inside of people, animals, etc. to help with medical treatments, diagnoses, etc. However they could also have all sorts of industrial, non-biological applications.

Do we know how these things are propelled? Do they need to be suspended in some sort of liquid, or are they mobile in the atmosphere as well?

So many questions - cool topic, and thank you for sharing.

PS. I can't view the video - it seems to be blocked on the network I'm using, so forgive me if my questions seem out-of-context

The video isnt very good however to answer your question nanobots are lighter than air so they can fly.

Here is a different video of nanowires growing from gold particles to stimulate the mind of nanotech seekers. Very different from the OP but its interesting.

Nanowires and nanotubes, slender structures that are only a few billionths of a meter in diameter but many thousands or millions of times longer, have become hot materials in recent years. They exist in many forms — made of metals, semiconductors, insulators and organic compounds — and are being studied for use in electronics, energy conversion, optics and chemical sensing, among other fields.

As to the OP I have been waiting for this for some time and was actually announced last year. To think nanorobots could print, craft, or manufacture things at super speed is really exciting.

Imagine if the super fast ones were in your body!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
So the grey goo will end the world faster

Grey goo may be what we already are.

Or it could be a new AI civilization that merges with us.

It doesnt have to be a bad thing that you can see.

I imagine grey goo to be a worldwide communication system of nanobots that manufacture whatever individuals want.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If the right AI comes along, together with the nano tech,
We people will be obsolete and no longer needed.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
We are all contaminated bt nanomaterials already, I read there is literally no American not full of nanomaterials.

However, while engineered nanomaterials provide great benefits, we know very little about the potential effects on human health and the environment. Even well-known materials, such as silver for example, may pose a hazard when engineered to nano size.
Nano-sized particles can enter the human body through inhalation and ingestion and through the skin. Fibrous nanomaterials made of carbon have been shown to induce inflammation in the lungs in ways that are similar to asbestos .

Examples of nanoscale Where are nanomaterials found? Some nanomaterials can occur naturally, such as blood borne proteins essential for life and lipids found in the blood and body fat.

Scientists, however, are particularly interested in engineered nanomaterials (ENMs), which are designed for use in many commercial materials, devices and structures. Already, thousands of common products-- including sunscreens, cosmetics, sporting goods, stain-resistant clothing, tires, and electronics—are manufactured using ENMs. They are also in medical diagnosis, imaging and drug delivery and in environmental remediation.

www.niehs.nih.gov...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
cuz nanomachines, son

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
We are all contaminated bt nanomaterials already, I read there is literally no American not full of nanomaterials.

However, while engineered nanomaterials provide great benefits, we know very little about the potential effects on human health and the environment. Even well-known materials, such as silver for example, may pose a hazard when engineered to nano size.
Nano-sized particles can enter the human body through inhalation and ingestion and through the skin. Fibrous nanomaterials made of carbon have been shown to induce inflammation in the lungs in ways that are similar to asbestos .

Examples of nanoscale Where are nanomaterials found? Some nanomaterials can occur naturally, such as blood borne proteins essential for life and lipids found in the blood and body fat.

Scientists, however, are particularly interested in engineered nanomaterials (ENMs), which are designed for use in many commercial materials, devices and structures. Already, thousands of common products-- including sunscreens, cosmetics, sporting goods, stain-resistant clothing, tires, and electronics—are manufactured using ENMs. They are also in medical diagnosis, imaging and drug delivery and in environmental remediation.

www.niehs.nih.gov...

Well some scientists believe we are already in some kind of simulation.

If we were already in a kind of grey goo that may explain it.
Also everything is covered with viruses and bacteria which is natures own grey goo.
By taking controll of the nanoparticles in and around us we could evolve exponentially.

www.livescience.com...
Billions of Viruses Are Falling to Earth Right Now
For the first time, scientists have analyzed the vast quantities of viruses that are swept up and swirling about in the atmosphere, sometimes traveling thousands of miles from their point of origin before seeing the planet's surface again. To do that, researchers looked at a boundary layer in the atmosphere — the free troposphere, which lies below the stratosphere but is still high enough to be beyond the reach of weather systems.

At this height, approximately 8,200 to 9,840 feet (2,500 to 3,000 meters) above sea level, viruses hitch rides on air currents and on particles of soil or vapor from sea spray, and travel much farther than would be possible at lower elevations. The scientists discovered a deluge of airborne microbes, finding that a single square meter of the planet's surface could be showered with hundreds of millions of viruses — and tens of millions of bacteria — in a single day.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

According to many scientists humans will merge with machines and evolve into something called a post human.

A post human has been changes so much they would no longer be considered human.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I imagine that one day there will be nanobot 3d printers that make all types of goods for people.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

I doubt people will ever be obsolete, however i do agree that nanomachines will be able to do everything humans can do and more.

That also means they will most likely be able to reproduce themselves.

join