It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk unveils assembled SpaceX Starship and it's glorious

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Well I'm all for brand names there mate as the sooner we privatize the space industries, the sooner we may actually get there in any kind of meaningful manner.

Thing is through until we devise a means of actually launching Man and machine into low Earth orbit a hell of a lot more cost-effectively that will remain a pipe dream.

Aerospike engines might be the key but even then they are not exactly viable nor completely up to the task alone.

edit on 12-1-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Amazing looking spaceship

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Why does it look like its wrapped in tinfoil. I sure would not trust my life with that rickety craft.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sirstudly

Amazing looking spaceship

If only my grandfather were still alive to see it.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   
It's not going to fly and probably a prank by Elon
Although I do think the retro design looks great as a modern art piece.

It reminded me of the rocket from tintin to the moon..
edit on 0b04America/ChicagoSun, 13 Jan 2019 03:52:04 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 13 Jan 2019 03:52:04 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I always wanted to tell Elon that he should use balloons during the initial lift.

To get that sucker fist off the ground uses the most energy and fuel.

Balloons will help assist the life for free. And then while the ship is in motion he should turn on the rocket boosters.

edit on 13-1-2019 by Bloodworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Suppose it could be done but lifting such a payload to sufficient altitude and then launching may present a few additional problems to contend with.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
When you look at it closely it looks like an under inflated mylar balloon. You can even see the wrinkles in the skin. I don't think that thing will fly the stress would tear it apart.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

From the first paragraph in the OP.

"Musk dropped a few more details about the prototype: "This is for suborbital VTOL tests. Orbital version is taller, has thicker skins (won't wrinkle) & a smoothly curving nose section."

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Suppose it could be done but lifting such a payload to sufficient altitude and then launching may present a few additional problems to contend with.

Of course. But it can be done...let the free e energy of the ballon do the heavy lifting where the power and fuel are at their greatest strain.

There is a sweet spot where the rocket should lift freely before boosters are turned on to receive maximum efficiency.

Rockets are still very heavy today though

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

"Rockets are still very heavy today though"

Hence my ambivalence to believe launching via balloon to be any more viable than from the ground.

The real ticket would be a space tether/elevator powered via solar/kinetic energy, that can launch Man and materials into low earth orbit, thus circumventing the problems associated with rocket-powered craft.

The material science is just about there with the likes of Carbyne a new form of carbon that's stronger than graphene possibly being used in the construction of any tether cable. Need to make the stuff in industrial quantities all the same, which remains to be seen.

Far more practical method than using rocket power to achieve low orbit.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

From the first paragraph in the OP.

"Musk dropped a few more details about the prototype: "This is for suborbital VTOL tests. Orbital version is taller, has thicker skins (won't wrinkle) & a smoothly curving nose section."

And if its wrinkling under it's own weight imagine what will happen with a launch. You can't have the outer casing just collapse like that and expect it to survive a launch.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   

It's not going to launch, it is going to hop. Vertical lift-off and landing tests. The one on the right is what the one that goes into space will look like.

The Complete Rocket

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I am not sure what to think about this ship.

It's a folly in the old-fashioned sense. But if it creates jobs and keeps people distracted from mundane existence, then why not? The design is fun and iconic. As for the expense, Americans spend more than it costs in cat food every year.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Musk explains the 301 Stainless usage in construction here...elon-musk-spacex-bfr-stainless-steel
Seems like a great alternative.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: FamCore

Unfortunately, Musk doesn't seem to understand what being a responsible C-level executive for a publicly-traded company means. I know SpaceX is not the same thing as Tesla, but because Elon Musk is being praised for "his" rocket, it is totally fair to call him out here.

Elon Musk seems to be given special treatment by the authorities, seeing as how he skated by with a settlement from the SEC's lawsuit against him for securities fraud. It's funny that someone like Martha Stewart gets prison time for doing less than Elon did. He has a lot of lawsuits headed his way. I'm not sure about SpaceX but Tesla and Elon himself have some difficult times ahead, and rightfully so.

BFD. Really. There's always someone to criticize. "C" level executive? Are YOU one? I thought not. Securities fraud? REALLY? He tweets a single message and suddenly it's "securities fraud." How absolutely asinine. The SEC is full of it. A $20 million fine and getting fired is now "special treatment"? I think so, too, but rather the special treatment was an unreasonable fine by an agency that has run amok with its "authority" completely independent of the courts.

The fact is Elon Musk has already done more for humanity than any of us here have combined. I suppose it is natural to see this unfettered jealousy stirred up by people who feel it is within their remit to judge his every twitch and utterance against what they think he SHOULD say. To hell with these people who have not done squat. It's embarrassing to watch.

You sound like a lot of the Elon worshippers who are uninformed about all of the shady things he has done. Firstly, Elon Musk didn't even start Tesla. Elon has done a lot of shady things, including buying his counsin's failing "SolarCity" company (now a subsidiary of Tesla), which has been nothing but trouble for the company. Not good for investors, not good for the company (but hey, he's "saving the world", so nepotism doesn't matter, right?)

Tesla has $920 million of convertible debt that matures March 1. www.sec.gov...
The company will have to pay bondholders in cash unless the stock exceeds $359.87, about 23% higher than its current price. While exceeding the conversion price by March 1, is possible, it's pretty unlikely (tick tock).

So many folks who love Elon so much seem to want to justify his choices as CEO, claiming "he's not in it to make money,", "he wants to change the world", but he has been stuffing his pockets with investors and taxpayers money and not making choices that are beneficial for a publicly-traded company. Defaming others, claiming he had funding secured to take a publicly-traded company private (which was an outright lie), making poor business choices to support his cousin's company, and personally profiting while hurting his investors all seem to point to the fact that Elon is, in fact, a fraud.

edit on 30-1-2019 by FamCore because: added link to SEC prospectus for Tesla Motors

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join