It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now it's only a waiting game

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: ketsuko

Wrong.

The dems have negotiated. They even flipped 8 repubs to their side.

They put FOUR bills forward to fund the most important parts of government.

Trump was the one that said no.

www.mediaite.com...

No, they didn't. They changed strategy.

They started passing things that would fund this or that without actually negotiating. They hope that pretty soon they get all of what they want without having to touch the issue at all. That's not negotiating; it's avoiding the issue.

You guys need to look up some word definitions. What the democrats are still doing is playing for all of what they want without giving up anything of what the other side wants. That's not negotiating or compromise either one.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Good grief! Just because the House passes a thing doesn't mean it's anywhere near getting to a floor vote in the Senate. The Senate has to bring it to the floor and vote on it before it can even be a wild dream on the president's desk.

And just because some Republicans said they might think about it in the Senate doesn't mean it gets anywhere near the floor. Cocaine Mitch determines how that process takes place, and if he's standing in solidarity with the president, then it could take months for it to get to the floor. Not only that, but one of the Senators who stands in solidarity to the president might vote to add an amendment to it that adds the funding Trump wants before the full floor gets to vote on it. If that were to happen and pass the floor vote on amendments, it's possible the bill could get to the president's desk with everything he wants in it or not even get off the floor.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The original House bill that passed the House vote but did not make it through the Senate for the president to sign because it contained 5 billion for "the wall" could have prevented a shut down altogether.

I think some Democrats were concerned about what would happen to the poor in Mexico if they voted for the new tougher border policy. In New York City alone there are over 600,000 people using emergency services, half of which are undocumented aliens. As the shutdown continues the debate is providing more and more information to the public about the extent of the problem. We see that it is not just the drug cartels that will see the effects of more effective border screening. Its unlikely the Mexican government will be able to handle losing their best citizens and taking back their drug addled trash.

There will be children left behind so there is no win, certainly nothing to celebrate or LOL about. Cleaning up after the drug lords in Mexico is going to be a very long disgusting project that may require international intervention.

MSM is keeping our nation focused on this mess, so everyone will continue to puke into the dumpster on social media until either the Democrats get the answers they need to vote for a responsible solution, or the absence of a their vote causes a National emergency here in the US.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The main reason was to highlight greed and corruption that is prevalent in U.S. politics and easily viewable anyone with at least one partially good eye, or half a working eardrum.

So you cast a vote for the most greedy and corrupt candidate in modern history? Really?

Also, there is abundant evidence of you defending Trump on a litany of other topics on this very board. You are attempting to separate yourself from the average trumpet but this is too little too late.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: carewemust
Lots of pressure will be put on Democrats after a few hundred thousand Federal Employees wake up tomorrow morning, log into their account, and see that the deposit from employer Uncle Sam is not there.

Yeah that’s not going to be on the Democrats. They aren’t the ones who shut down the government.

When people get sick because Republicans just voted not to reinstate food safety checks, they’ll remember that too.

Scream the ship is upright all the way to the bottom of the ocean if you want.

Odd.. I had thought that Democrats just had to approve 1/3 less of the same money on a bill they voted into law last time to get the money flowing again.

Let's face it... Democrats will blame Republicans.

Republicans will blame Democrats.

The only difference between the two that are holding people hostage is that one of them wants to protect Americans, the other side will watch the whole country burn to the ground before they give an inch because of... political posturing.

Isn't like they haven't voted on it and passed it before...

They just won't now because Orange Man Bad.

We'll see how the actual adults in the country feel about it in 2020.

Until then, don't sign a damn thing, Mr President.

We do not negotiate with terrorists.

It became obvious a long time ago that Trump supporters have very limited contact with reality so it’s no wonder that you honestly believe this crap.

The truth is Trump said point blank he would take responsibility for this shut down and that he wouldn’t blame the democrats. However, now he and his moron supporters are attempting to blame democrats for his actions. While trump supporters may be idiotic enough to believe this logic the general public is not.

Trump originally agreed to a spending bill to keep the government open before Christmas. However, then he changed his mind after Congress voted bipartisanly to approve that spending bill. He changes his mind because talk show hosts called him weak. If the man can’t stand up to a little pressure from talk show hosts what kind of person is he really?

Also, just because he is president does not mean he should get what he wants from congress whether or not he campaigned on that item. George W Bush campaigned on Social Security Reform but the speaker of the house told him to go pound sand. You might think to yourself that’s because the speaker was a Democrat, but you would be wrong. W controlled the House then. His own party told him no.

I can only see this government shutdown ending two ways. Either Trump caves or He loses support in the Senate. Surely you have noticed that Mitch McConnell hasn’t weighed in on this issue at all. He is not backing the president on this one. Already their have been four republican defections in the Senate. Once their are enough to override a veto, the spending bills will pass.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: carewemust
Of course, that would require the Democrats in the House to actually do something, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

TheRedneck

This just sounds silly. What you're saying is, if the those gosh darn Democrats just completely capitulate and give Trump everything he wants, then this whole thing would just end, its really just so shuckey duckey simple!

I hate to remind you of this, but the Democrats have already advanced legislation to re-open the government (and concurrently kick the wall funding discussion down the road un-attached to this government funding hostage situation Trump is holding the country in).

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: carewemust
Lots of pressure will be put on Democrats after a few hundred thousand Federal Employees wake up tomorrow morning, log into their account, and see that the deposit from employer Uncle Sam is not there.

Yeah that’s not going to be on the Democrats. They aren’t the ones who shut down the government.

When people get sick because Republicans just voted not to reinstate food safety checks, they’ll remember that too.

Scream the ship is upright all the way to the bottom of the ocean if you want.

Odd.. I had thought that Democrats just had to approve 1/3 less of the same money on a bill they voted into law last time to get the money flowing again.

Let's face it... Democrats will blame Republicans.

Republicans will blame Democrats.

The only difference between the two that are holding people hostage is that one of them wants to protect Americans, the other side will watch the whole country burn to the ground before they give an inch because of... political posturing.

Isn't like they haven't voted on it and passed it before...

They just won't now because Orange Man Bad.

We'll see how the actual adults in the country feel about it in 2020.

Until then, don't sign a damn thing, Mr President.

We do not negotiate with terrorists.

The truth is Trump said point blank he would take responsibility for this shut down and that he wouldn’t blame the democrats.

Yes, but what he meant by those words was, "I won't take responsibility for this shutdown, and will blame democrats" which is a totally logical and righteous turn of play....../sarcasm

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I wonder if any part of that included watching trump go to jail?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

No dear...Lots of pressure will be on trump.... this is his ballgame... he owns it...well he said he owned it but you know... trump...lies... you never know...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Wrong.

The dems have negotiated. They even flipped 8 repubs to their side.

They put FOUR bills forward to fund the most important parts of government.

Trump was the one that said no.

www.mediaite.com...

That's not negotiating or compromise either one.

When was the last time Republicans and Democrats negotiated/compromised in good faith? Its been the modus operandi for the last decade and a half to do everything in their power to hurt the other side by doing exactly the opposite. It just smacks of 'keepin the blinders on' to state that righteous Republicans always are trying to do good by the american people and compromise while those dastardly Democrats avoid it (when in fact the actual data shows the reverse in more cases than not).

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

BULLSCHItte opposition to a stupid wall does not mean open borders. There is grey in the black and white world you live in.
It does not mean they do not care about security. You know this but it doesnt fit your battle cry so you lie...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

and I seriously doubt anyone is going to log into their accounts and expect their checks to be there... Unless they are idiots... Pretty sure that WE ALL KNOW the government is shut down.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Where do you get that 95% of government employees are democrats? Another trupundit antifact?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

If you thought he was that, you shouldn't have run the most evil, greedy, corrupt woman on the planet against him.

It was like the election of dumb and dumber where the only difference was whether you, as a voter were labeled deplorable or not based on your prior political policy preferences.

When all was said and done, I don't tend to vote for people who so openly mock everything I tend to believe in. So I couldn't vote for the evil, greedy, corrupt woman.

YMMV. I know people feel the other way.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Where ya been... they have been presenting counter offers. They have signed several motions... baby man is holding his breath stamping his feet and generally acting like a toddler. Someone call Jo Frost.
edit on 1112019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

BULLSCHItte opposition to a stupid wall does not mean open borders. There is grey in the black and white world you live in.
It does not mean they do not care about security. You know this but it doesnt fit your battle cry so you lie...

If they didn't believe in open borders, they'd be in the Oval Office negotiating with real policy solutions. Their speech to rebut Trump would have contained more than "He Lies! He wants you afraid." They would have responded with their own set of policy solutions, but they had none except "Wall Bad. Orange Man Bad."

They like the status quo because they can continue to conveniently paint border enforcement as racist. It wins votes. They can continue to dangle amnesty for illegals. It wins votes. They can continue to pander with more and bigger social programs that end up benefitting those here illegally. It gets votes.

Any attempt to reduce the flow of illegals in any real way ... doesn't get votes. So they don't like the idea and don't want it. Even right now, they think they're getting votes, and that's why they do this.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

No, it means they come to him with what they want in exchange for what he wants. Then both sides sit down and hash it out. I understand that for a long time in DC compromise has meant that democrats get what they want and Repulicans give it to them, but this time, they might actually have to give up something they don't want to give and get something in exchange.

No is not a wish list.

Just think about all of the legislative things you wish democrats would pass and consider that instead of simply saying no to the president, Nancy could be sitting there across from Trump and saying, "You want X? Well, we want Y ..."

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

If you thought he was that, you shouldn't have run the most evil, greedy, corrupt woman on the planet against him.

It was like the election of dumb and dumber where the only difference was whether you, as a voter were labeled deplorable or not based on your prior political policy preferences.

When all was said and done, I don't tend to vote for people who so openly mock everything I tend to believe in. So I couldn't vote for the evil, greedy, corrupt woman.

I agree with you 100% on that issue. Hillary was/is a horrible candidate for president. I voted third party this past election.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

what are the democrats proposing? Please, share that with all of us.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

I agree with you 100% on that issue. Hillary was/is a horrible candidate for president. I voted third party this past election.

did you feel as if your vote mattered?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join