It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand this Quote from President Trump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The tiltle of this Yahoo article, which cites CNN is:

Trump Admits That He Lied About Mexico Paying for Border Wall

“When during the campaign, I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they’re gonna write out a check, I said they’re going to pay for it. They are,” he said as he prepared to visit the war-torn southern border of Texas, CNN reports.

Source

What the heck does this mean?

CNN reports:

But in April 2016, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he would take to compel Mexico to pay the US “$5-10 billion” to fund a border wall — a plan that relies largely on threatening to bar undocumented Mexican immigrants in the United States from wiring money to relatives in Mexico. “It’s an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year,” the memo said. Using a broad interpretation of the post-9/11 USA Patriot Act, Trump wrote in the memo that he would threaten to issue new regulations that would compel money transfer companies like Western Union to verify a client’s identity and legal status before authorizing a wire transfer. Trump now claims his renegotiated trade deal with Mexico and Canada would result in Mexico “indirectly” paying for the wall. But the US-Mexico-Canada trade deal has not yet been approved by Congress and even the perceived benefits of its passage would not amount to a Mexican — direct or indirect — payment of the border wall. Whatever economic benefits the trade deal delivers would be reflected in financial benefits to companies and higher wages for some individuals, not in any immediate financial boon to the US government.

I am very confused about the meaning of the first quote cited.

Can anyone interpret/explain?

Not trolling here. Just trying to figure out what the President is trying to say.

I will back off and let others express their opinions.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
A form of revenge. They will pay for gaming the US for so many years. They are gonn'a pay for this. They are not getting away with this. There are dozens of examples that could be authored.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
And by the way, I'm all for the wall ?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

Making Mexico pay for the wall was a bargaining chip. He threatened Mexico that they will have to pay for the wall, or he would do the following:

Mexico must pay for the wall and, until they do, the United States will, among other things: impound all remittance payments derived from illegal wages; increase fees on all temporary visas issued to Mexican CEOs and diplomats (and if necessary cancel them); increase fees on all border crossing cards – of which we issue about 1 million to Mexican nationals each year (a major source of visa overstays); increase fees on all NAFTA worker visas from Mexico (another major source of overstays); and increase fees at ports of entry to the United States from Mexico [Tariffs and foreign aid cuts are also options]. We will not be taken advantage of anymore.

assets.donaldjtrump.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

OK, but what does that quote in the OP mean? IS this confusing as hell or what?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey

OK, but what does that quote in the OP mean? IS this confusing as hell or what?

Trump isn't known for his eloquence.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

With ya brother.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

He never said they would write a check and pay for it in advance. Someone must have asked him a question that you didn't hear because it was edited out.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

He never said they would write a check and pay for it in advance. Someone must have asked him a question that you didn't hear because it was edited out.

I didn't hear anything. I read this report.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I always understood what Trump meant about "making Mexico pay for the wall". He meant they will be held accountable through their inherent moral and ethical responsibility in their country for the flow of unfettered trafficking of people and contraband through their borders. (Unfettered is a loose description of Mexico not doing their part to police their own borders so that America has to do all the work and shoulder all the costs.)

Any so called MSM journalist plus democrat politicians and corrupted judges would also know and understand this but they only want to twist things to save their preferred narrative which is nothing but lies to the people who they cater to and who gobble up those falsehoods like candy because of bias and IQ shortcomings.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The headline of the quote took it out of context. He did say that, but as stated Trump is not an eloquent speaker. In same sentence, he said he never meant they'll have to write a check.

Here is clip-at 2:00..he says the quote in OP. Then continue to watch or skip to 2:47 and he say's that he told thousands of people that Mexico would pay for the wall, and they will indirectly thru the new trade deal.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

He was brilliant i that press conference. Really funny.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

He just trolled @JimAcosta on twitter.

Dear Diary... with a link to Acosta's steel slat clip.

twitter.com...

Who needs fictional tv shows with this epic reality show going on.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
A form of revenge. They will pay for gaming the US for so many years. They are gonn'a pay for this. They are not getting away with this. There are dozens of examples that could be authored.

Ahhh revenge politics.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i guess what he meant by those words were what the words mean.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
When Bill Clinton said, "I feel your pain", I have to wonder if he was truthful because I was once in a lot of pain and he didn't look like he was in pain.

When Obama said Obamacare would save families thousands of dollars, I don't think he was honest either.

So Trump says Mexico is going to pay for the wall. With a check? Cash? A debit card? Or will Trump take it out in trade?

There is so much stupid going on about this that it actually gained sentience and ran for government as Alexandria Kotex O'Crazio.

That's right.

The Communist Barbie that leftists get all squishy for is actually the collective stupidity of the left come to life.

She's like AI but probably has to get help to find her ass because she keeps grabbing a hole in the ground.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey
The tiltle of this Yahoo article, which cites CNN is:

Trump Admits That He Lied About Mexico Paying for Border Wall

“When during the campaign, I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they’re gonna write out a check, I said they’re going to pay for it. They are,” he said as he prepared to visit the war-torn southern border of Texas, CNN reports.

Source

What the heck does this mean?

CNN reports:

But in April 2016, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he would take to compel Mexico to pay the US “$5-10 billion” to fund a border wall — a plan that relies largely on threatening to bar undocumented Mexican immigrants in the United States from wiring money to relatives in Mexico. “It’s an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year,” the memo said. Using a broad interpretation of the post-9/11 USA Patriot Act, Trump wrote in the memo that he would threaten to issue new regulations that would compel money transfer companies like Western Union to verify a client’s identity and legal status before authorizing a wire transfer. Trump now claims his renegotiated trade deal with Mexico and Canada would result in Mexico “indirectly” paying for the wall. But the US-Mexico-Canada trade deal has not yet been approved by Congress and even the perceived benefits of its passage would not amount to a Mexican — direct or indirect — payment of the border wall. Whatever economic benefits the trade deal delivers would be reflected in financial benefits to companies and higher wages for some individuals, not in any immediate financial boon to the US government.

I am very confused about the meaning of the first quote cited.

Can anyone interpret/explain?

Not trolling here. Just trying to figure out what the President is trying to say.

I will back off and let others express their opinions.

Thanks.

time.com...

Obviously that first statement goes along with 'He never said Mexico was going to write a check'...And right after, he says Mexico IS going to pay for the wall...

They're trying to twist the context, again, to try to make a liar out of Trump...Fake News...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

“It’s an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year,”

Kinda sounds like he meant they would write a check.

top topics

join