It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The North Pole is moving 34 miles per year towards Siberia ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Sounds like the pole shift is picking up speed ..

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia.

“The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move,” Nature reports.

On January 30 (delayed due to the US Government shutdown), the World Magnetic Model — which governs modern navigation systems — is due to undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps.

The current model was expected to be valid until 2020. But the magnetic pole began to shift so quickly, it was realized in 2018 that the model had to be fixed — now.

“They realized that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable (safe) limit for navigational errors,” Nature reports.

FICKLE TIDES

Every year, geophysicists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the British Geological Survey do a check on how the Earth’s magnetic field is varying.

This is necessary as the liquid iron churning in the Earth’s core does not move in a consistent manner.

“In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean,” Nature reports.

This shift was captured by satellites.

But the movement of the north magnetic pole has been the object of study since 1831. Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed.

It’s now shifting at a rate of about 55km a year.

Link

edit on 1/10/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91
Well, now do I have to get updated USGS maps for the magnetic offset? Is 35 miles that much of a deal?

I am still one of those people who trust a map and a compass (and a backup compass - Silva!) to get around in the brush. Yeah, I will use those newfangled GPS units for most of my trips, but I always am secure in my maps and compass kits.

Good post. S&F.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Isn’t this highly accelerated? I thought I remembered hearing it was inches per year.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
RUSSIA DID IT!

They're drawing the power of the Earth towards their region of control....

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Yeah wonder what it's doing to the migratory animals also .

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well if our core were ever to stop spinning then there goes our magnetosphere and very soon after, just about all life on the planet.

Probably the fate of Mars to be honest.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

They say pole reversals in the past happened every 200,000 to 300,000 years but it's been almost 800,000 years since the last one and that the magnetic field is getting weaker , Does that mean the core is slowing down ?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
RUSSIA DID IT!

"Preparations A through G have failed....we now begin Preparation H"

2nd line

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I have no idea to be honest, apparently, the biggest weak spots seem to have sprung up over the Western Hemisphere, while the field has strengthened in other areas over the likes of the southern Indian Ocean.

As to what that means where the rotation of our Earths core is concerned that's what they are trying to fathom. The only meaningful answer is that further study is required before any real conclusions can be drawn.

edit on 10-1-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Truly fascinating times! Found this Linkanimated secular magnetic intensity variations slideshow depicting the past 400 years. Not sure how to place it in thread? Sorry.

Makes one even more curious of the anonomaly effect in South America. It seems like an extreme change that must be having some noticeable effect? Seems obvious that this acceleration will increase the climate change in the arctic. Guessing that will be more of a benefit for Russia thus why they have been so focused on that area.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

RUSSIA DID IT!

More like CERN

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

RUSSIA DID IT!

Actually, came across a theory that Tunguska event in 1908 was possibly the cause or effect of the North Meridian Pole accelleration. Fascinating hypothesis since his data does show an interesting correlation. I imagine it is simply a coincidence?

A Russian scientist Vladimir Shaidurov of the Russian Academy of Sciences has surmised that the Tunguska event trigger the 20th century global warming [www.sciencedaily.com...]: “Shaidurov has concluded that only an enormous natural phenomenon, such as an asteroid or comet impact or airburst, could seriously disturb atmospheric water levels, destroying persistent so-called 'silver', or noctilucent, clouds composed of ice crystals in the high altitude mesosphere (50 to 85km). The Tunguska Event was just such an event, and coincides with the period of time during which global temperatures appear to have been rising the most steadily - the twentieth century.”

Tunguska Event the start of Global Warming in Arctic?
edit on 1 10 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Good info here for those interested:
magneticreversal.org...

The SWARM satellites (ESA) have been measuring the field getting weaker each year. The NASA scientist on the project said we are absolutely into the beginning of a pole reversal.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesjr

I wonder if this could be a clue in there being so much interest in Antartic region in the past few years? It seems obvious that the climate has been changing there as well.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

I wonder if this could be a clue in there being so much interest in Antartic region in the past few years? It seems obvious that the climate has been changing there as well.

I personally believe the interest there is for other reasons. But it's interesting that the south pole has moved off of the Antartica continent now (along with the north pole movement discussed above).

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I seem to remember reading somewhere that during a shift the magnetic field gets extremely weak at a certain point during the event then strengthens back up once the event is over , This could cause havoc on the climate not to mention to humans themselves cancer etc .

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

I seem to remember reading somewhere that during a shift the magnetic field gets extremely weak at a certain point during the event then strengthens back up once the event is over , This could cause havoc on the climate not to mention to humans themselves cancer etc .

Yes, from the links on that site I've learned that others are making a great case for field strength drastically affecting weather. Space radiation/energy reaches deeper into the atmosphere causing more rain, massive sized hail storms, and things like that. Or something along those lines.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Y’all are really gonna freak when Guam capsizes.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Let's just hope if it does happen sod's law does not kick in and the Sun decide to burp in our direction at the same time.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Fascinating. When I was growing up in the 80's, the Magnetic North Pole was still in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. I had no idea it had wandered into the Arctic Ocean already. Or that the Magnetic South Pole is no longer in Antarctica, but now is offshore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join