It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Tunnels are dug for drug smuggling not to transport illegals across the border.... The money is not there and it’s the cartels doing the tunneling.a reply to: iplay1up2

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

President Donald Trump has repeatedly advocated for a steel slat design for his border wall, which he described as "absolutely critical to border security" in his Oval Office address to the nation Tuesday. But Department of Homeland Security testing of a steel slat prototype proved it could be cut through with a saw, according to a report by DHS.

A photo exclusively obtained by NBC News shows the results of the test after military and Border Patrol personnel were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.
Source

And apparently all eight of the prototypes (according to the article) were fairly easily breached.

Trump, in a news conference this morning, said it was "a previous administration's wall", which is not correct.

Serious question. What do you do for a living?

I'm willing to bet is has absolutely nothing to do with metal saws.

If it did, you'd 100% know the amount of noise, and sparks that would be created. Thus drawing attention to the attempted breech.

Not a very good argument by the left on this one. Rather stupid, TBH.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I don't think the wall will work because of simple economics.
How many takers do you think we could get if people were offered $1000 dollars as a test to breach the wall?

Quite a few I would imagine.

Now how many takers do you think we would get if people were offered a long term job with enough to live on here and send some back home?

I think we could solve the problem using the capitalist approach with simple supply and demand economics.
Kill the supply side and demand to get in will go down.

Start jailing employers that hire illegals.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

There's a game show in there somewhere methinks.

The Running Man springs to mind. LoL

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

President Donald Trump has repeatedly advocated for a steel slat design for his border wall, which he described as "absolutely critical to border security" in his Oval Office address to the nation Tuesday. But Department of Homeland Security testing of a steel slat prototype proved it could be cut through with a saw, according to a report by DHS.

A photo exclusively obtained by NBC News shows the results of the test after military and Border Patrol personnel were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.
Source

And apparently all eight of the prototypes (according to the article) were fairly easily breached.

Trump, in a news conference this morning, said it was "a previous administration's wall", which is not correct.

If it did, you'd 100% know the amount of noise, and sparks that would be created. Thus drawing attention to the attempted breech.

I'm laughing the whole argument is stupid. No matter what wall there is ways around it. One stick of dynamite will get through a wall. Walls aren't meant to be the only thing to stop people and to make these claims is at the least disingenuous. The walls job is only to make it difficult to cross unnoticed. Having someone sawing a border fence for half a day with a hacksaw is going to draw some attention.

Or blowing a huge whole in a wall is going to draw someone's attention. No wall can stop everyone and there is always ways around things. I can spend $50.00 on a sledge hammer that will get me through any door I want eventually. Does that mean we shouldn't lock our doors?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Source

That's why you just cut holes in the wall for fun. Later on you smuggle people through them, since they can't all be watched.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

If border agents are there why need a wall?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The wealthy have been using them for decades. The lawmakers and enforcers have to be careful with laws that can impact those who pay them.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You realize how remote many parts of the wall will be with noone around?
Our we going to have guard shacks and guards built into it every mile like Israel does on a much smaller wall?
How expensive will that be?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
35,000 US soldiers are currently sitting on their asses doing nothing in Germany on a pointless deployment...how much does that cost?
Putin isn't invading any time soon, he needs the EU to buy his natural gas, and most dirty Russian money is tied up in London.
If I was Trump I'd getting those soldiers back doing what their primary goal is, defending the US, active deployment on the border.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Source

It's a newspaper report. What I do for a living isn't relevant. The article (if you read it) said that the Border Patrol was asked to test the wall prototypes. They found that the prototypes were fairly easy to breach.

I don't know about the test conditions, materials, or anything else. The reporter might... you could ask them.

And you can saw through metal with any number of things, including hand sawing (or take a torch to it.) You could do it in short shifts over the course of a week and nobody'd be the wiser.

But in any case, it's just a news story that's been reported by a number of outlets and was worth sharing here.
edit on 13-1-2019 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

You’ve brought this up many times. It is illegal to use us troops for that purpose. There are only very limited circumstances which allow for troops to operate on us soil.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Even if the wall were made out of paper, the fact it has to be cut through in order to pass it makes it easy for patrols to see where people are crossing at. Where the last crossing happened.

Crossing the border isn't something you want to do without a pre-planned route.

If you see a hole in one place today, you got to figure they're probably going to try crossing again at the same place in a few days.

Catch enough smugglers in the act, and smuggling becomes a less attractive career.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous
Even if the wall were made out of paper, the fact it has to be cut through in order to pass it makes it easy for patrols to see where people are crossing at. Where the last crossing happened.

Unless you put a bunch of holes in it, just for the sake of doing so in order to obfuscate information.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
I'd be questioning the law then.
All UK forces can be deployed anywhere to protect our border.
If migrant hordes were getting into northern Ireland from the Republic then British soldiers would be back on that border.
Same with Gibraltar, if migrant hordes were storming that British territory from Spain then British troops could be sent to defend the border at the whim of the government.

Crazy laws if your military are not allowed to defend your border. Only in America eh?
Even countries like Laos and Thailand have military bases defending their border.

Seems like your strange laws support mass immigration from South America.
The UK would use our military and have snatch squads/watch towers every mile or so.

...but carry on paying 35,000 troops to sit on their asses doing nothing in Germany.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

citation required - you keep saying " its illegal " - so demonstrate it .

plot twist - border integrity is not covered by posse commitatus .

its illegal to use military personel to round up people with deportation warrants -

but NOT illegal to use them to prevent aliens corssing the border

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

citation required - you keep saying " its illegal " - so demonstrate it .

plot twist - border integrity is not covered by posse commitatus .

its illegal to use military personel to round up people with deportation warrants -

but NOT illegal to use them to prevent aliens corssing the border

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is absolutely hilarious. Oh noes, it can be sawed through! A concrete one can be blown up! Why even bother??? We must create the first ever barrier that is 100% impenetrable or it's a total waste of time!!!!11111!!

That's what liberals sound like.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: Blue Shift
So now you’re advocating shooting them for non violent crimes before they even cross?

I'm just saying that the wall itself is and always has been a bad concept. Even if you could build one that can't be sawed through, it doesn't mean anything without people there to enforce the laws. The Great Wall of China was a big (really big) failure. All walls will be breached because "invasion" and "incorporation" are two sides of the same coin.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I'd be questioning the law then.
All UK forces can be deployed anywhere to protect our border.
If migrant hordes were getting into northern Ireland from the Republic then British soldiers would be back on that border.
Same with Gibraltar, if migrant hordes were storming that British territory from Spain then British troops could be sent to defend the border at the whim of the government.

Crazy laws if your military are not allowed to defend your border. Only in America eh?
Even countries like Laos and Thailand have military bases defending their border.

Seems like your strange laws support mass immigration from South America.
The UK would use our military and have snatch squads/watch towers every mile or so.

...but carry on paying 35,000 troops to sit on their asses doing nothing in Germany.

Protecting our border against a military threat is legal. Using the military for what is essentially a police action is not.

Illegal immigration is not a military matter.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join