It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says it holds US Navy veteran, 1st arrest of Trump era

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Not that I believe anything will come of this story but it is a pretext for some type of covert or full blown operation IMO. Let us hope Mr. White is released on some kind of good faith deal or I can see saber rattling in the future if the USA wants to go that way. The article also list others who are arrested or gone missing in Iran. One of the missing was a former FBI agent who became a CIA asset and was supposedly on an unauthorized covert mission in 2007.. Has not been found or heard from since.

There are a few countries in this world I would not travel to under the current political climate and Iran is pretty much at the top of that list.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran confirmed it is holding U.S. Navy veteran Michael R. White at a prison in the country, making him the first American known to be detained under President Donald Trump’s administration.

White’s mother, Joanne White, had told the Times that her 46-year-old son, who lives in Imperial Beach, California, went to Iran to see his girlfriend and had booked a July 27 flight back home to San Diego via the United Arab Emirates. She filed a missing person report with the State Department after he did not board the flight. She added that he had been undergoing treatment for a neck tumor and has asthma.

www.apnews.com...
edit on 727thk19 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Went to see his gf.. yeah right. This guy Probably a drug mole..

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:35 AM
link   
why do i feel all icky like John Kerry's in the room..

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   
That's a bad cover story. IMO, if no one sent him officially then he was sent by back channel politicians to negotiate terms that this administration refused already.

If he did just up and visit Iran then he is retarded.

edit on 1 10 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Sounds like a dude who fell in love on a dating site (do they even have that in Iran?) Then captured while waiting for the girlfriend to show up. Yeah right. What an idiot no matter how you look at it. That or he has Stockholm syndrome and was one of the captured sailors on one of the captured Navy boat a few years ago.
edit on 10-1-2019 by 38181 because: Blu

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Who in their right mind even thinks it's a good idea to visit North Korea, China, Iran let alone the Middle East or any of the #hole Countries around the world.

Almost like Khashoggi going to the Embasy of a Country he antaganized and expecting them to be civil.

edit on 1/10/2019 by Bramble Iceshimmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   
wait we gave them 154 billion in cold hard cash......but theyre still taking prisoners......

Hmmmm weird..........sounds like another ploy for more money.....

Almost sounds like a terrorist state....

why is it they are again, holding our people, when we have given them billions.....enoughs enough....deliver the evidence against him or face repercussions...
edit on 1/10/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Simple.

Don't be stupid and visit Iran.

Duh

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It is very sad to me that I will not be visiting some of the world's most ancient sites. I am getting ready to retire, and I had always dreamed of visiting the ancient cites of the eastern world. They are located in IRAQ, Syria, and Egypt.

I don't feel like I will be doing that.

At least I got to see the pyramids as a young man in the 1980's.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Unruhestifter

Why not?
Here in the United States we are expected to give illegals cookies and milk.
I bet this guy even had a passport.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Welcome a MOAB to Esfahan Iran.........

Esfahan is Iran’s top tourist destination. Its profusion of tree-lined boulevards, Persian gardens and important Islamic buildings gives it a visual appeal unmatched by any other Iranian city, and the many artisans working there underpin its reputation as a living museum of traditional culture. Walking through the historic bazaar, over the picturesque bridges and across the Unesco-listed central square are sure to be highlights of a holiday. Like an Orange-Grey light lasting only seconds.

I can think of a dozen more persuasive sites if need be.....

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Why not?
Here in the United States we are expected to give illegals cookies and milk.
I bet this guy even had a passport.

Another country their rules.

If a country a tryranical # hole its probably best no to visit.

As for your illegals? That's your country's problem and not irans. Just because you have a broken failed government that can't pass simple laws or even enforce current laws doesn't give Americans special rights abroad or protection from idiocy.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Welcome a MOAB to Esfahan Iran.........

Esfahan is Iran’s top tourist destination. Its profusion of tree-lined boulevards, Persian gardens and important Islamic buildings gives it a visual appeal unmatched by any other Iranian city, and the many artisans working there underpin its reputation as a living museum of traditional culture. Walking through the historic bazaar, over the picturesque bridges and across the Unesco-listed central square are sure to be highlights of a holiday. Like an Orange-Grey light lasting only seconds.

I can think of a dozen more persuasive sites if need be.....

Maybe the rest of he world should drop bombs on American tourist spots for foreigners imprisonment in the states?

You visit another country your subject to THEIR laws.

American don't have special international rights.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I agree with you completely.
That was really what I was saying but you missed the sarcastic tone.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I agree with you completely.
That was really what I was saying but you missed the sarcastic tone.

Ahhh

My mistake.

Here hoping trump can fix the broken mess congress has #ed up

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
wait we gave them 154 billion in cold hard cash......but theyre still taking prisoners......

Hmmmm weird..........sounds like another ploy for more money.....

Almost sounds like a terrorist state....

why is it they are again, holding our people, when we have given them billions.....enoughs enough....deliver the evidence against him or face repercussions...

You know that the money was Returned from Iranian accounts that had been frozen in 1979? Iran's assets were first frozen by U.S. president Jimmy Carter in 1979, after revolutionaries overthrew the U.S.-allied Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi's administration and took American hostages.

ranian frozen assets in international accounts are calculated to be worth between $100 billion[1][2] and $120 billion.[3][4] Almost $1.973 billion of Iran's assets are frozen in the United States.[5] According to the Congressional Research Service, in addition to the money locked up in foreign bank accounts, Iran's frozen assets include real estate and other property. The estimated value of Iran's real estate in the U.S. and their accumulated rent is $50 million.[1] Besides the assets frozen in the U.S., some parts of Iran's assets are frozen around the world by the United Nations.[1]

Source

If you did not know this before, you do now.

That means that you should not keep up spreading the internet fake news that

we gave them 154 billion in cold hard cash

when this implied the funds came from US taxpayers.

We gave them back their own money.

Not saying that giving them back their own money was a good or bad thing. Just saying when you put the message out the way you did, it is disingenuous, and pretty much becomes a "misleading" statement, or "fake news."

So now you know...

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Sorry to have triggered you....a reply to: Unruhestifter

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Sorry to have triggered you....a reply to: Unruhestifter

That all you can reply with?

Not triggered.

Just thinking you have to have derp for brains to want to BOMB and KILL over a idiot that went to a dangerous and tyranical country where he was subject to THEIR crazy rules.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
4 November 1979 – A group of 300-500 Iranian students, citing the Shah’s entry into the U.S. as a justification, seized the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and held its employees as hostages. This action received the official approval of the Khomeini government, in part to unite the Iranian people behind the new, proposed constitution, over which the Iranian people were to vote in a referendum the following month.

Hostage Richard Queen takes his first steps of freedom shortly after being released by the Iranian government on July 11, 1980.

19-20 November – The Iranian students released 13 of the hostages, including all of the females and the African-Americans.
20 November 1979 – A force of several hundred Muslim fundamentalists seized the Grand Mosque of Mecca. The pro-American government of Saudi Arabia sent in special forces to clear the mosque, a military operation that took until December 4th to be completed, leaving hundreds of dead.
2-3 December 1979 – A referendum in Iran overwhelmingly approved the new, theocratic constitution for Iran, which made Khomeini the dictator of Iran.
28 January 1980 – Six of the U.S. employees at the Embassy, who had evaded capture by hiding in the Canadian Embassy, flew out of Tehran using fake Canadian passports.
24 April 1980 – A surprise U.S. military expedition to rescue the hostages was mounted, but it was aborted due to equipment failure of three of the eight helicopters. However, one of the retreating helicopters collided with a C-130 transport plane, killing eight U.S. servicemen.
11 July 1980 – Release of the American hostage Richard Queen, who was suffering from multiple sclerosis. This reduced the final number of U.S. hostages to 52.
27 July 1980 – Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi died of cancer in Egypt, where he had flown after being urged to leave the United States. He was buried in Cairo.
22 September 1980 – Saddam Hussein, the ruler of Iraq, sent his army into Iran, in part to settle long-standing border disputes with Iran, in part to seize oil-rich lands in southern Iran, and also in part because of fears of the potentially corrosive effect of Iran’s revolutionary propaganda on Iraq's Shiite Muslim majority. Hussein’s army was quickly halted by the Iranian armed forces. The war was to continue for almost eight years and ended with the deaths of perhaps one million people on both sides, while the boundaries of the two countries remained exactly as before the war.
4 November 1980 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter was defeated in the U.S. Presidential Election.
19 January 1981 – The Algiers Accords were signed, constituting the final U.S.-Iran deal to end the hostage crisis.
20 January 1981 – The 52 U.S. hostages were released minutes after Ronald Reagan was sworn in as the 40th U.S. president.

edit on 10-1-2019 by Plotus because: have a nice day

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
We've already declared war with Iran. Just an economic war that is crippling their country from within. No need to send innnocent lives to be slaughtered over one idiot with an online girlfriend he may have never met.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join