It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Echo Chamber of Reeee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I'm going to catch Hell for this, so here goes!

I was recently having a chat with some gents who are/were ATS members: active, inactive, absent etc.

The topic came up that "ATS is just an echo chamber blah blah blah."

You'll have to imagine me as the quiet observer I usually am, perusing from bird's eye, the chessboard before I commit to an interjection.

But I see this said a lot on-site as well.

ATS is the echo chamber for liberals, blues, lefties!

The conservatives, reds, right-wingers make ATS their echo chamber!

Well...which is it?!

Let's not name names here, keep it classy and all, but it can't be just one or the other--it has to be both, since this claim comes from both camps.

Oh yes I got scorched for that remark, and so I want to smolder again here and now.

I see both left and right, red and blue, equally voiced and represented here on ATS. And both sides have some power hitters knocking em out of the park regularly.

I never felt once like ATS was one or the other. I see a multitude from both teams posting, posting, posting.

Perhaps it's because I don't identify myself through politics, or teams, or leanings that I am able to hear the roar from both sides in equal ferocity.

It's not an echo chamber, it's a sustained REEEEEEEEE cannon coming from all directions

edit on 10-1-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

It's sad that people see opposition in any remark that doesn't support their position. I would love to see more nuanced discussion.
But I also recognize there is a polarization right now in politics.
Right now I do not see a fix until both parties are willing to work together.

Or until we get an influx of 3rd parties.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I don't think any 'side' is overly represented as far as posting. I will admit that the backing of Trump, not necessarily Republicans, certainly garners much more favor if we're to base stars and flags off of anything.

Also, if we're being honest, there are about 5 quality posters that post on politics in total.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I don't think any 'side' is overly represented as far as posting. I will admit that the backing of Trump, not necessarily Republicans, certainly garners much more favor if we're to base stars and flags off of anything.

Also, if we're being honest, there are about 5 quality posters that post on politics in total.

I mostly post on bullcrap............

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Same.

Garbage in, garbage out.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I just wish everyone on here was pro America and would do what is needed to keep our country free and prosperous. Either party is capable of authoritarian BS. At the end of the day personal liberty is all that matters.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's an honest observation right there sir.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

In groups help people cope with the world.
It makes them appear strong.

They lack inner strength

I watch and learn

I'm pro world

FTS

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Ummm...What we see is primarily a reaction to all the idiocracy that’s been ongoing since 2016...

The left has gone so far down the crazy train track that the vacuum As it hurtled by...naturally sucked some of the right and center...into the gap left by their passing...

That being said...I do admit to pointedly laughing at all their antics...they should be ridiculed for collectively going insane...

None of them seem to realize how effectively they’ve been handled...trolled into caricature...

That’s perhaps the most poignant aspect of this whole surreal few years...they have been led down this primrose path by such obvious hucksters that sitting here watching it unfold has been so shocking...that the only human response has been laughter...

Laughter at a campy B grade horror movie as it unfolded...

So what do you do with a tide of sycophants caught up in mob mentality...why...you just troll them some more...

Maybe some year they’ll wake from their programming and realize that there’s life beyond cult...that fantasy doesn’t equate reality...that they’ve been used...

Until then......here’s to witnessing the train wreck as the crazy train eventually runs out of track...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
most political threads I see the same handful of conservatives proclaiming their cause (myself included) and the same handful of lefties shooting them down, and vice versa.

I thought the site tended left until the election. since then it seems to have tilted right. I think some of the Soros trolls dropped away.

it is what it is.
I certainly consider ATS a better info source / discussion forum than any media outlet.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I love it when I leave the sarcasm icon off.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This has been an eye opening couple of years for me. I started coming here about 10 years ago for conspiracy/ancient history stuff. Ignored politics all my life because I thought it was all BS. I got interested in 2016 like many and due to a new found sense of responsibility (bought a house, starting a business) I found it important to start paying attention.

I came in with a totally open mind to all parties and ideas. I live in Broward county, surprisingly, there’s not a lot of political talk here, so I figured ATS would be a GREAT place to go to cut through the BS, surely the members here would be able to point out the lunacy/shtick of the parties/climate....boy was I wrong!

Liberals, democrats and republicans alike made it blatantly clear to me that they are not groups I want to rub shoulders with. Then, like a beacon of light, I start watching Parks and Rec...Ron Swanson appears and says a LOT of things that strike very close to home with my beliefs, so I start looking into the libertarian party and found my home. After digging in more, I found I fit under the minarchist title more specifically.

I still visit here regularly, I just skip over any post the second I see the words “libtard”, “dims” or “Trumptard”. I think all of this stuff is pure BS. It’s all such arbitrary nonsense and for all the back and forth, I honestly don’t believe THAT much good comes out in the end that justifies it. That said, when I see the name calling start, I just see people clutching their ego under the banner of being an American, as if all this bickering on ATS actually does anything, solves anything or changes anyone’s mind.

I suppose if debating politics is your hobby, more power to you.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
As a Brit sometime observer it surprises me that a lot of what passes for debate on here is all shouting and little listening. It's all so polarised. You are not going to change someone's mind by shouting at them.

Debates should be approached with an open mind and a willingness to have one's opinions challenged, if not changed.

Over here politics is more about policies rather than personalities. Insults don't help. Except when its Corbyn, of course,he's just a clueless Marxist tw@t.

edit on 10-1-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Come to think of it, re-naming this board "Echo Chamber of Reeeeee" would make a lot of sense.
edit on 10-1-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Really.....you watched prime minister's questions lately! Lol

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

You have a point but I was referring to Brits discussing politics on here. Guess I did not make that clear.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post]JinMI[/post]
a reply to: [post]NarcolepticBuddha[/post]

I thin ka lot of the better posters go a little insane when it comes ot politics and the quality just instantly drops

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I never used to identify myself by political affiliation.

I knew I didn't like clinton. He was an embarrassment. But I didn't call myself a republican because of it. I knew I didn't like obama. I didn't like him here in Chicago and I didn't like him as POTUS. I can spot bs a mile away. But I didn't call myself a republican because of it.

It was only after coming to ATS that I was informed by others that I am a republican.

I always considered myself independent since I truly didn't believe either party was good for this nation. Its just that if I were to criticize what I felt was wrong I would spend much more time criticizing democrats than republicans. That doesn't make me a republican, its just how I see it. I live with failed democrat policies every day. I see it firsthand. There is no one else to blame. Yet with the help of gerrymandering and fraudulent votes they continue to get re-elected.

I fight what I see as wrong. I don't care which side its on. Some may point out that I hardly ever fight republicans for anything. That is correct. I am not a public televisions station. I don't owe equal time to anyone. I fight what I see as the most wrong. By far the majority is on the democrat side of the aisle. When the wrongness is equally divided between the two parties my comments will be also. Until then I will continue to fight what I see as the most offensive wrongdoing committed against this nation. If that means democrats then so be it.

Frankly though, I am pretty sick of it.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

^ this guy here gets it!

join