It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty, F-14 Breaks Sound barrier, caught on tape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is awsome, an F-14 breaks the sound barrier and sustains it for like .20 secs. It's a nice clear image too.

Linky

Enjoy!

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 27-2-2005 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That's an awesome video.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That video has done the rounds a few times on ATS
but good catch anyway. Theres nothing in the film tho that signifies the F-14 breaks the soundbarrier, those clouds appear in circumstances well below the speed of sound, and are caused by changes in air pressure and density caused by the prow shockwave at speeds above 500mph.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
That video has done the rounds a few times on ATS
but good catch anyway. Theres nothing in the film tho that signifies the F-14 breaks the soundbarrier, those clouds appear in circumstances well below the speed of sound, and are caused by changes in air pressure and density caused by the prow shockwave at speeds above 500mph.

Check the time recording of the video, it was slowed down a somewhat 20 times.

That entire process from the beginning of the cloud to the end of the short film, lasted a somewhat .30 secs real time. Are you telling me that anything below Mach 1 can still cause that speed?

It did look like the sound barrier was broken, and I'm sure people have proven it if it has made the rounds around ATS as you say.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Check the time recording of the video, it was slowed down a somewhat 20 times.

Only the second half of it was slowed down, and the speed of the clock doesnt change at all - its in HH:MM:SS format. Look at the sailors actions when they are in shot, if that film was slowed down to the extent you suggest then theyve definately taken drugs.

That entire process from the beginning of the cloud to the end of the short film, lasted a somewhat .30 secs real time. Are you telling me that anything below Mach 1 can still cause that speed?

Yes. I stand by my point that tehres nothing in that shot which indicates the aircraft was supersonic. The whole film is around 15 seconds long, and Im inclined to think that that clock you see is overlayed sometime after the actual footage was shot.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is a awsome video

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice

Yes. I stand by my point that tehres nothing in that shot which indicates the aircraft was supersonic. The whole film is around 15 seconds long, and Im inclined to think that that clock you see is overlayed sometime after the actual footage was shot.

Why so sceptical ? Do you think an F-14 can't go supersonic??
Yes, their is no 100% evidence that it went supersonic but to say that the clock was spliced on later is just ludicrous .

IAF>

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This has been discussed before, that plane is not breaking the sound barrier, it is going fast enough however to were the moisture condeses on the leading edge of the wing then travels over the body of the jet and creates a small 'cloud'. If you were to watch a complete video of that event the jet actuall catches fire after passing the ship and the pilots eject and are later rescued by helicopter.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sorry

But the cloud formation on the jet appears in front of it, not after it as suggested.
A vapour trail would be behind the air craft and not in front of it.
To me, the jet was super sonic. The shock waves in front and behind it tell me it wasn't vapour trails.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
Sorry

But the cloud formation on the jet appears in front of it, not after it as suggested.
To me, the jet was super sonic. The shock waves in front and behind it tell me it wasn't vapour trails.

That's what I noticed as well, I noticed that the cloud started at the nose of the craft, and lead all the way past the engine nozzels.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Originally posted by Bikereddie
Sorry

That's what I noticed as well, I noticed that the cloud started at the nose of the craft, and lead all the way past the engine nozzels.

That's cause it's not a vapor trail but a special condensation effect that happens at high (but not supersonic) speeds. There is plenty of footage of planes actually breaking the sound barrier, and you won't see this effect in that video.
Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Glad some one else noticed it too.

I aint one for knocking any posts, but when you have visible footage, then its hard to debunk it.

I stand by what i said above.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
In reply to your post UnMature

Altitude has a lot to do with what you see when a plane breaks the sound barrier.
At low altitude you will see vapour as seen in the above clip.
At high altitude where the air is obviously thinner, you will see basicaly nothing except maybe hear the boom.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

Why so sceptical ? Do you think an F-14 can't go supersonic??
Yes, their is no 100% evidence that it went supersonic but to say that the clock was spliced on later is just ludicrous .

IAF>

Watch the video - its visibly slowed down about halfway through it - YET THE CLOCK ISNT. Whats ludicrous about that? The clock was put on after the film was shot, probably during editing.

Im skeptical because there is no evidence that the aircraft was going supersonic - yes its a nice video when all is said and done, but every time someone sees these air condensing zones they think 'yay supersonic' when it doesnt mean that.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
To those who say the clouds are forming at the tip of the nose, please take a look at these two still shots out of the video:

Image 1
Image 2

These clouds are due to a pressure wave (yes they happen at subsonic speeds) causing the air behind it to drop in airpressure, condensing the water vapour.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The video is slowed in situ, ie as it happens. the clock will still continue to count real time even though its in slow motion.

My video camera does this, but the real time still exists.
Not a hard one to figure out really.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Can't we just agree its a nice video
?

new topics

top topics

join