It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump calls meeting with Schumer and Pelosi a total waste of time after he storms out

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If you want to say he's being stubborn, then you can equally criticize the democrats for that. They're being equally intransigent. If he wants a wall and increased border security because that's what the boots on the ground say they need and he won't budge on that and the other side just says no to whatever, then both sides are being stubborn.

If being stubborn gets you labeled a toddler, then no one is being adult on the Hill.

He has at least laid out opening position to negotiate from. No isn't an opening position for anything.

You and I know this. The over arching majority of the nation, especially those who blindly criticized Trump, don't seem to see it.

Pelosi and Schumer come from a body of government with an approval rating below Trump. Congress is about as popular as a carbuncle. But that is shucked off in favor or "i hate Trump".

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is a riot.
Perhaps someone could remind congress they have a job to do.
They have to actually pass a bill and get it to the President before he can sign or veto it.
Send him a bill and make him take action; the rest is just theater bad theater at that.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: xuenchen

Nancy and Chuck need to work on pretending to act concerned. They bombed at it. Now there are tons of memes floating around.

By what metric? Nancy and Chuck pulled bigger ratings numbers than Trump did.

Yeah among misled and uninformed Democrats watching CNN and MSNBC 😂

It begs the question, why didn't the same or more amount of Trump devotee's tune in to watch him?

roflol lame 🤣lame lame

Whats lame exactly, the Trump supporters that didn't tune in?

LOL

I'm really having trouble parsing whatever message you're trying to deliver. Are you suggesting that Trump supporters were afraid to tune in and watch him?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Its the system I'm commenting on and not the detail.

Surely a system that produces a shutdown with such regularity requires reform?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy
a reply to: Wayfarer

Think about that logic bomb for a minute. Why would the ratings be larger for them?? What that tells me is that the liberals don't even listen to the other sides point of view before making an informed decision, they just tune in to listen to the rhetoric and ad hominem attacks.

I at least listen to both sides and make my decision...as any rational person would.

I'm not certain how one can infer that with any certainty without some kind of correlating facts to support it. I watched both (as I assume you did as well), so anecdotally if that's all the evidence I leveraged I would be left with an entirely different assumption.

Do you have some correlative evidence that helped you arrive at that conclusion? Is it possible that there are other explanations for the disparity that you haven't entertained?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't think it would be a difficult argument that ANY meeting with Pelosi and/or Schumer is a complete waste of time. Have you ever heard them talk?? My God how did they ever get elected. Wasn't on looks or brains. Just braindead voters seeing a (D) and pressing vote for more free stuff.
edit on 10-1-2019 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

it is "reformed" every two years when everyone in the house of representatives is up for election.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: ketsuko

Its the system I'm commenting on and not the detail.

Surely a system that produces a shutdown with such regularity requires reform?

It's the mindset that requires reform. You have politicians now who are more concerned about pandering to base than doing what is right because that's how they get re-elected, and you have bases who are diametrically opposed on what they think they want in this country.

Now, the Founders knew there would be a lot of gridlock.

And, of course, they also designed a system that wasn't supposed to be so big and important that if it wasn't in session or working, anyone in the country would care. But politicians ruined that. They made the Fed the big cheese to rule us all, sort of like the one ring ... we were all of us deceived.

Heck, the Federal government is only supposed to be in session a very limited amount of time because the Founders couldn't envision that it would need to be in operation that much. The real business of governing was supposed to be done at the state level.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

it is "reformed" every two years when everyone in the house of representatives is up for election.

Yet shutdowns continue with monotonous regularity....nine since 1980, that's about one per administration.

Suggests to me that the problem lies with the system as well as the people.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Absolutely awful attempt at negotiation once again from a man stuck in 80s bullying mode. Absolute dinosaur, crying all over social again.

Needs a waaaambulance. This guy can't negotiate over what to have for dinner, let alone getting a tiny fraction of money to build a few metal fences (still breaking a campaign promise, but you'll all use cognitive dissonance to call it a win anyway).

Utterly useless.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

one time in four years is "monotonous regularity"?
mkay
if you say so

it appears to me to provoke actual discussion on issues that appear to be worth fighting for

we are not really interested in the whole "build a better mousetrap" discussion, we like our mousetrap just the way it is
had the people not wanted actual discussion they would not have split power in congress

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: fencesitter85
Absolutely awful attempt at negotiation once again from a man stuck in 80s bullying mode. Absolute dinosaur, crying all over social again.

Needs a waaaambulance. This guy can't negotiate over what to have for dinner, let alone getting a tiny fraction of money to build a few metal fences (still breaking a campaign promise, but you'll all use cognitive dissonance to call it a win anyway).

Utterly useless.

You use the word "negotiation". I don't think you know its meaning.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I give up.

Everything American is great, nothing needs fixing, all is ideal.

Good luck and see you around.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

one time in four years is "monotonous regularity"?
mkay
if you say so

it appears to me to provoke actual discussion on issues that appear to be worth fighting for

we are not really interested in the whole "build a better mousetrap" discussion, we like our mousetrap just the way it is
had the people not wanted actual discussion they would not have split power in congress

Yes. Monotonous regularity. Every POTUS has his shut down.

That being said: i am a fervent believer that the best government is that which governs least. Having our government shut down is manna for me. But i don't suckle from Uncle Sam's teets, and would rather the bloat of Federal employment rolls would diminish to a fraction of what it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I give up.

your choice

Everything American is great, nothing needs fixing, all is ideal.

your words
seems you are now convinced trump was right? MAGA and all?

your argument appears to me no different than those who want to change the electoral college when their candidate didnt win
changing the system because you didnt like the outcome doesnt really fix the system does it? it only fixes the outcome.

if this is what it takes to get a real discussion and a real solution to the immigration problem we have then so be it.

perhaps it will take a really focused hard headed president to make congress actually compromise and do their job.

is the best solution "trumps wall"? perhaps not but it may take that threat to get to a real life actual working solution. what we have currently is broken and unsustainable and has been for a long long time.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yes. Monotonous regularity. Every POTUS has his shut down.

I disagree.
How many of those have actually vetoed a spending bill?
This is congress's issue not the presidents. How that thinking got reversed I do not understand. When the rubber hits the road the president can't make congress actually do anything. Congress has to work this out. It is their ACTUAL job. "power of the purse" and all.

I do not think trump has been helpful but he has yet to veto anything.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: MajorAce
Storms out or gets up and walks out. The spin people need to put on things . Personally I'd like to see Pres.Trump open all borders and allow the flood to happen. Even offer free bus rides to any sanctuary state or city for anybody coming across . State there will be no FED assistance because according to the DEMs the places will be over flowing with new jobs and gazillions in new tax revenue.

Legal vs illegal.

Why is that ignored.

Asylum seeking is part of the Constitution. Legal representation applies to anyone on US soil. Also in the Constitution.

Dems do not support illegal border crossing.

MAGA -- but, don't uphold the Constitution.

That is total horse snip. Asylum seekers can go to a legal port of entry.

And Canada spends a fortune collecting failed asylum seekers and shipping them out of here. In the US they just go hide and the Democrats scream foul whenever they are found and shipped out.

Why is nobody bitching at Canada?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I agree, screw the people not getting paid, if it means protecting American life.

Who do you think is affected by this more, those not getting their check(right away,) or the lives snuffed out by illegals, permanently separated from their family?

Hmmm, this is a tough one(for liberals.)

Trump wants 0.114% of the fed. budget for his wall.

If you can't deliver a logical explanation as to why they will not give Trump this money. Then you are officially siding with me, in admitting this is Piglosi and the Dim's shutdown to own.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The POTUS is trying to do it the right way. There has not been a balanced budget in years. The Senate and House have pushed through appropriations each year since 74. Every year except 4, last one in the 80's, at least ONE appropriations bill did not pass. Trump is trying to stop the continuing resolution....

1 of 12 right now is not being passed. Pelosi and Chuck are pissed because each year the R/D argument is scratching each others backs and pushing it through and you can see it from the doubling of the national debt under Obama. No checks and balances. Now, they have a president who does not want to play ball. That's it.

Why is it wrong for a president to stand firm on a policy that is needed. That is wanted. If the Dems would work with him DACA could be resolved also but they think they have more power than the president. They want to be the president. They want to act like a president because they will NEVER be president.

edit on Janam31amf0000002019-01-10T10:41:03-06:001003 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on Janam31amf0000002019-01-10T11:03:36-06:001136 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I have to agree to a degree. Congress owns this shutdown not the President. House and Senate need to work this out and submit their legislative bill to the President. Who cares if the President vetoes it? It will go back to congress and 2/3 of the House and Senate can override his veto and pass it!

Congress needs to stop focusing on the President who does not make laws...They do! They need to accept responsibility and get back to work. They Rs and Ds are giving Trump too much power and it is shameful. Stop with excuses and Trump hate...just do your jobs.

edit on 1 10 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join