It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASDAWALMART Harvesting Facial Recognition Data IN YOUR FACE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Down at the local hypermarket , insidious tech has appeared at all of the self service checkouts .

As you pack your shopping , a head sized tablet screen with a digital camera is showing you your own face as if in a mirror - right in front of you .

The screen's camera is not looking at your hands or what you're doing with your shopping , it's looking at you .

The screens are not there for security purposes as the average customer might imagine.

They are harvesting the fine co-ordinates of each person's face as they face the screen to pack, and then enter their id as they pay with their cards .

Facial recognition tech needs a good close up of your face to work properly , but once identified by fine measurements , you can be identified again and again from poorer quality images at greater distances .

Once people have been processed via this system , which does not invite them to take part , they've given away data which is likely to be sold on , to be used and misused , without any check or balance .

It'll be in the hands of corporations that already know more about people than people know about themselves .

No one asks anyone to make a contract when they walk into a shop . No one is telling asda that they can't use and abuse the so called 'true and fair' system (electronic exchange) and the associated facts that run with it - people's names are on their wallet's cards .

This is an unacceptable abuse of privacy where covert techniques are being used to hoodwink and trap people who need use facilites like shops , and supermarkets are the few necessity shops left .

This thing they are doing is stealing from people's private information , it's theft of peoples individual personal characteristics , and when this harvested information is sold on , it's profiting from stolen goods . What else is it? There's more to it for certain

They're insidiously negating peoples unique ids that life gave them , making them a tagged herd , for nefarious ends and we do not know who the ombudsman are . Where are the regulators or the watchdogs over this supermarkets clear abuse of market dominance .

edit on 9-1-2019 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

If you or a friend has ever posted a picture of you on Facebook, your face has been recognised and linked to all other persons in the photo. It's called Deepface

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

So that selfie of me with Her Majesty should up my social credit score ?

The point here is that FRT needs a good closeup coupled with a definite id marker : self service checkout is the ideal spot

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Deepface sounds kinky.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I dont like the idea of corporations scanning my face and selling more information than they already do but I am afraid that boat has sailed. Cameras are of better quality than ever and they are everywhere on the street.

Facial recognition is in testing at concerts, sporting events, and we can all take a picture and use Google to find individuals in a simple image search which surely utilizes facial recognition software algorithms.

The tech Generation is ready to embrace it, I bet the shopping giants are looking at ways to use this technology for making payments easier. People have already embraced implants to open doors and authorize payments. It's the world we have built, no where in public that you are not on camera, even the neighbors doorbell cameras.
edit on 1/9/2019 by DJMSN because: Correction

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

A dirty mind is a joy forever.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Facial recognition is in testing at concerts, sporting events,

As you demonstrate it's been currently undergoing development , and asda appear to have resorted to covert means for building a reliable database .

Initially , FRT requires a good closeup image of each individual subject which is exactly what the new installations provide . The captured images of the captured individuals are collated with the card details upon payment .
There are few other scenarios where large amounts of definite ids combined with accurate facial measurements can be harvested .

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Not surprised and bet other stores with the auto checkouts will have it. Soon enough as with how DNA is being data-based so that anyone can download your-- info sometimes free, it will same with be with the facial recognition data.

I bet it's done with other cameras in the store as well. Such as the isles that have them for certain security and theft reasons-- ie cosmetics isle.

top topics

join