It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Savagely Fact Checked trumps border speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Here are some snipits, you can watch the Video too. Once again, trump proven wrong.

trump.

After Trump said that “innocent people” are being “horribly victimized” by immigrants who commit crimes, Smith quickly added perspective.

Fact.

“The government’s statistics show that there is less violent crime by the undocumented immigrant population than by the general population,” he said.

Trump also argued for his wall by saying that immigrants carry illegal drugs across the border, but Smith pointed out that a wall wouldn’t make much difference there.

“Government statistics show much of the heroin actually comes not over the unguarded border but through ports of call,” he said.

“He talks about undocumented crossings over the past months. In fact, the number of undocumented crossings over the southern border has been steadily down over the last 10 years and the government reports that there is more outward traffic than inward traffic.”

I know facts are facts. These are facts. trump creats his own. Watch for yourselves. I know the same 10 people, will just ignore the facts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-apos-border-speech-054604564.htmlwww.yahoo.com... peech-054604564.html

edit on 9-1-2019 by iplay1up2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2019 by iplay1up2 because: fix link

edit on 9-1-2019 by iplay1up2 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

“The government’s statistics show that there is less violent crime by the undocumented immigrant population than by the general population,” he said.

I laughed when I saw that originally... 330 million people versus 10-20 million people yea the general population should do a higher percentage of the crime.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I laughed when I saw that originally... 330 million people versus 10-20 million people yea the general population should do a higher percentage of the crime.

Classic manipulation of facts, wrapped into a shiny package and shoved down the mouths of those with no critical thinking.

But, it works for some people.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Classic manipulation of facts, wrapped into a shiny package and shoved down the mouths of those with no critical thinking.

Oh, so trumps alternative facts are correct, but the government statistics are wrong. Did you even watch the video, or just stick your head in the sand?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Suh-suh-suh-savage.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It's per capita - you can compare a group of 100 people against one of a thousand people. The lower sample group will skew the results - sure, can't be helped - but it's the percentage that counts.

Manipulation of the facts would be to suggest otherwise. How about the claim that most drugs are smuggled through due to the lack of the Trump wall when in fact by far the greater majority are smuggled through legal border crossings?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Suh-suh-suh-savage.

I also thought savage, was over the top. I did not write their headline, I just used part of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: iplay1up2

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Oh, so trumps alternative facts are correct, but the government statistics are wrong. Did you even watch the video, or just stick your head in the sand?

How cute, you actually believe there’s absolute facts in the political arena. Who’s heads in the sand?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This past week, Fox has been calling Trump and his staff out.

I'm sure they are just conforming to the MSM though.

It couldn't be Trump is actually saying things that are not factual.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

It's per capita - you can compare a group of 100 people against one of a thousand people. The lower sample group will skew the results - sure, can't be helped - but it's the percentage that counts.

Manipulation of the facts would be to suggest otherwise. How about the claim that most drugs are smuggled through due to the lack of the Trump wall when in fact by far the greater majority are smuggled through legal border crossings?

Do you even know what per capita means? When you look at something per capita you are showing there is a higher concentration of something within a population when controlling for that population size.

For example, there are MORE white people on welfare than black people. Of course, this make sense when you consider that the whites are about 60% of the US population while blacks are only 13% of the population. However, on a per capita basis, more blacks are on welfare meaning we are over represented given our overall population.

Sure there might be more crimes committed by legal citizens, but if you break it down per capita, you will likely find that illegals are over represented relative to their population.

Of course more drugs come through legal crossings. It is probably hard to drive an 18 wheeler across a desert / river, etc. This is a function of where it is easiest to cross the border with larger volumes of drugs. There is only so much one or two guys can carry on their backs running across the desert.

You demonstrate the lack of critical thinking and shallow analyses that is so common on the left and why facts are interpreted differently. One side tries to dig deeper (right) to actually understand the data while the other side just takes it at face value without question (left).

This is why so many on the left continue to cite widely disproven facts like unequal pay, 99% of scientists, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
When I saw it earlier this morning in yahoo... after a loong laughter came in question below.

Those undocumented immigrants are still known as such when governmental statistics make them documented by mention them in their statistical documents ..?????

Same goes for “CONway” tried to defends “Sanders” on her 4000 terrorists allegations the other day by using the words was accidental mistake documented numbers was 6… not 4000!

It was clearly another “LIE” and she knows it, like millions of Americans, but question is….

How many times in lifetime someone lying by mistake and worse … accidentally ..??

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Trump - “innocent people” are being “horribly victimized” by immigrants who commit crimes.

Smith - “The government’s statistics show that there is less violent crime by the undocumented immigrant population than by the general population,” he said.

These two thoughts are not mutual exclusive. They can both be true at the same time... how in the world can the second thought be a "fact check" of the first thought if they are not mutually exclusive?

Its said that our news media doesn't even understand what a "fact check" is. This problem goes way beyond an individual president and what ever lies (s)he might or might not be telling. If our free press has such a systematic problem that they as a collective can not understand the concept of "fact checking" than how can we as a society ever hope to fix the problems in our government? We can't be everywhere all the time and really on our free press to bring us the information we need to make informed decisions. How can we make informed decisions if our free press is this dysfunctional?
edit on 9-1-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Well, I hope you feel embarrassed if you bother reading that again. Per Capita actually means 'per head' in Latin, and therefore works for any sample group.

You can apply it to a sample group and it works just fine - in fact Trump actually tried to use it to prove illegal immigrants were more likely to be violent criminals but he got his facts wrong. You appear to have got yours wrong too.

"Of course more drugs come through legal crossings. It is probably hard to drive an 18 wheeler across a desert / river, etc. This is a function of where it is easiest to cross the border with larger volumes of drugs. There is only so much one or two guys can carry on their backs running across the desert."

I'd agree to that, Trump didn't seem to though, otherwise when he mentioned that 90% of heroin in the US comes from Mexico, don't you think it was extremely disingenuous not to say virtually all of that comes across via legal border crossings?

Perhaps it's him with the lack of critical thinking and shallow analysis and as usual it's those like yourself that are desperately trying to justify why you were all chanting 'Mexico' when Trump hollered 'Who's going to pay?'
edit on 9-1-2019 by uncommitted because: Added a not

edit on 9-1-2019 by uncommitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: iplay1up2

Um... this isn't fact checking... more like parsing words.

After Trump said that “innocent people” are being “horribly victimized” by immigrants who commit crimes, Smith quickly added perspective.

There's another perspective to innocent people being horribly victimized? Really? Oh! Here it is:

But there IS violent crime by illegal immigrants? Of course there is! Unless Trump made the claim that illegals commit more crime than citizens, it's a moot point.

If you're in a leaky boat, do you plug ALL the holes? Or just the biggest ones???

Trump also argued for his wall by saying that immigrants carry illegal drugs across the border, but Smith pointed out that a wall wouldn’t make much difference there.

“Government statistics show much of the heroin actually comes not over the unguarded border but through ports of call,” he said.

And? So the drugs coming across at points other than ports of call are okay? We don't care about those? Only the drugs coming ports of call are bad? Of course not!!!

Leaky boat and all that...

“He talks about undocumented crossings over the past months. In fact, the number of undocumented crossings over the southern border has been steadily down over the last 10 years and the government reports that there is more outward traffic than inward traffic.”

I can't help but note the qualifier -- "undocumented". So it's been documented. Probably on their way to the detention centers. But documentation does not make it legal. Tricky tricky...

I know facts are facts. These are facts.

Indeed. But you have not disproved anything Trump said... just made relative arguments. Where are the facts Trump made up???
edit on 9-1-2019 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Trump - “innocent people” are being “horribly victimized” by immigrants who commit crimes.

Smith - “The government’s statistics show that there is less violent crime by the undocumented immigrant population than by the general population,” he said.

These two thoughts are not mutual exclusive. They can both be true at the same time... how in the world can the second thought be a "fact check" of the first thought if they are not mutually exclusive?

Its said that our news media doesn't even understand what a "fact check" is. This problem goes way beyond an individual president and what ever lies (s)he might or might not be telling. If our free press has such a systematic problem that they as a collective can not understand the concept of "fact checking" than how can we as a society ever hope to fix the problems in our government? We can't be everywhere all the time and really on our free press to bring us the information we need to make informed decisions. How can we make informed decisions if our free press is this dysfunctional?

Exactly. It reflects poorly on the press when they don't try to dig deeper. This is actually one of the reasons I'm conservative. I recall doing my own research on gun violence and seeing how the media was routinely using data to push an agenda instead of actually interpreting the data and pointing out it short comings.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I think that the issue of immigration is being prioritized over things that I would like to see done first, but it is a problem.

I think Trump does exaggerate on many talking points, but is that not what every politician does, embellish.

Just like the left is embellishing counter points to him, and to their stance they previously held.

All that aside, the big issue with illegal immigration is it's them who get exploited. When they work, they don't have the same regulations and protections as someone working legally.

Per the point on violence, I would imagine statistically speaking there is less violence reported with illegal immigrants, because most parties involved don't want to speak with authorities in fear of deportation. Most violence happens domestically or within the community, so likely it goes unreported, another way they pay the price of circumstances

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What is amazing is that there are some of his supporters who will still respond as if he is infallible.

Or they will just say they don’t care

I don’t know what worse but I am really struggling to see how they can continue supporting him after this

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Are they talking about Shep ?
He went full Proglib years ago.
Fox has to keep him on now for a specific reason

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
a reply to: Edumakated

90% of heroin in the US comes from Mexico'

Hmmm actually....most of the heroin in north america comes from Afghanistan....

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Directly because the Taliban was removed. Of all the things they did they at least punished drug producers extremely harshly.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Compared to how many poppies are grown and how much opium is produced in afghanistan Mexico is a drop in a bucket. Oh yeah and lets not forget American troops are the ones guarding the poppy fields.
edit on 9/1/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Domestic crime has absolutely nothing to do with what Trump said. What Trump was getting at was that if these illegal immigrants were not in the country to begin with, then the illegal immigrant crime would not have happened in the first place, as it should be. And he was correct in that.

He never said that domestic crime was Not a problem, and he never compared domestic crime with illegal immigrant crime, (meaning Trump never said that illegal immigrant crime was worse than domestic crime.) In fact he never even brought up that argument, the MSM did, which has nothing to do with what Trump was saying!

Sheeze, why do you folks let the MSM manipulate you like that? The whole argument is Moot! People need to think critically and logically about what others say to see if what they are saying is a valid argument. In this case, the MSM argument is invalid, logically.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join