It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cancer-risk dye taints foods worldwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
An industrial red dye - implicated in causing cancers in rats - has entered the human food chain in at least 15 different countries, it emerged on Thursday.

The presence of the Sudan I dye in hundreds of food products in the UK was revealed by the UK's Food Standards Agency (FSA) on 18 February, prompting a massive recall of foods. The list of contaminated products rose to 474 on Thursday.

The dye had been added to the foods through the use of contaminated Worcester sauce. The tangy sauce was added as a flavouring to a range of soups, potato crisps and ready meals.

www.newscientist.com
11:17 25 February 2005

Shaoni Bhattacharya

DNA mutations

Boobis describes one study where rats were given 30 milligrams of the dye per kilogram of body weight - every day over two years - and developed cancerous changes in their livers. But this effect was not seen in a similar experiment in mice.

These studies were published in 1982. No work has been done on people. However, more recent short term studies have examined Sudan I's effects on animal and human DNA and found a mutagenic result.

"The dye undergoes a transformation to a very unstable product which attaches to the nucleic acid bases - the backbone of DNA," explains Boobis.

This can cause mutations in the DNA which can then be passed on to future generations of tissue cells when the cell divides and the DNA is duplicated. Other changes are needed to render a cell cancerous, but this DNA reaction is a first step.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Better stay away from the Worcester sauce for a while. Along with chips, chilli powder, soups, and so on. Think twice before you buy anything that might have red dye in it. Certainly avoid anything produced by Premier Foods.

Under the International Agency for Cancer Research (IARC's)'s guidelines, Sudan I is deemed unclassifiable as a carcinogen. "It doesn't mean it's a non-carcinogen, but at the same time there's not enough evidence" to say that it is, says Vincent Cogliano, head of IARC's Monographs series of books, which evaluate chemicals as carcinogens, in Paris, France.

But he cautions that the IARC has not evaluated Sudan I for 30 years. "The data is really inadequate to draw any conclusions," he told New Scientist.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by Bourgeoisie]

[edit on 2-27-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Worcester sauce is only one of many food stuffs to contain Sudan1.

Sudan dyes are red dyes that are used for coloring solvents, oils, waxes, petrol, and shoe and floor polishes. They have been found in some chilli powder imported from India. They have also been found in a number of food products containing this chilli powder. Sudan dyes are not allowed to be added to food in the UK and the rest of the EU.

Sudan 1 is a dye also known as CI Solvent 14 that is a known carcinogen.

Its a scary fact that this has been allowed to pass through strict tests. The people concerned should be brought to justice for failing in what is their task to stop exactly this kind of thing happening. Its the long term exposure, as is with all chemicals that we should be aware of. I wonder how long this has been allowed to go unchecked?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Now i need to know, to what extent this is in various spices, sauces, and other food products. Also what other names it might fall under.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bourgeoisie
Now i need to know, to what extent this is in various spices, sauces, and other food products. Also what other names it might fall under.

do a google search for CI Solvent 14 . Or sudan 1.

Most of the information is good, but also thought provoking.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
some more information in this thread with the same topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So why is this stuff in food? Just for color or something or was it by pure accident?

new topics

top topics

join