It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your zodiac sign may have changed, thanks to NASA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
www.kare11.com...

Despite what you may have heard, NASA isn’t ruining your life. Now, don’t freak out, but it turns out there are actually 13 astrological signs instead of 12. So 86 percent of all people were actually born under a different sign. While that’s unfortunate for people with zodiac tattoos, it’s not actually a new development.

The information apparently comes from a post from January on NASA’s SpacePlace website aimed at kids, which explains the difference between astrology and astronomy. It led to false reports that NASA had decided to update everyone’s star signs based on the changing positions of constellations. But the thing is, NASA doesn’t decide on star signs and has little interest in astrology because it isn’t science.

“We didn’t change any zodiac signs, we just did the math,” the agency said in a Tumblr post on Tuesday. So here’s what happened, according to NASA: About 3,000 years ago, the Babylonians divided the zodiac into 12 equal parts and picked one constellation for each. So as Earth orbits the sun, the sun would appear to pass through each of the 12 parts.

The Babylonians had a 12-month calendar, so each month was supposed to get its own slice of the zodiac. Here’s where NASA says the Babylonians cheated a bit. According to the Babylonian’s own ancient stories, there were actually 13 constellations in the zodiac. So they left out one, Ophiuchus, to fit with their calendar. On top of that, the sun didn’t move through each constellation to fit neatly into a month-long slice. Furthermore, the sky has shifted slightly after 3,000 years because the North Pole doesn’t point in the same direction.

In the end, as the original SpacePlace post points out, the idea that astrology can affect your life or predict your personality traits is just make-believe. If you really feel like a Scorpio, then say you’re a Scorpio. NASA couldn’t care less. But just in case you’re curious, here’s what your star sign would be under the 13-sign chart:

Capricorn: Jan. 20 – Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 – March 11
Pisces: March 11 – April 18
Aries: April 18 – May 13
Taurus: May 13 – June 21
Gemini: June 21 – July 20
Cancer: July 20 – Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10 – Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16 – Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30 – Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23 – Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29 – Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17 – Jan 20

Okay which way is the right way? I would be wary of trusting NASA over the old ancient way of things. Has anyone heard of this before? Despite what they say about astrology and planets having no effect on us, I believe otherwise. I have read enough to believe that there is something to real astrology that we cannot see, as far as it's effects on us all.

The people in secret societies also seem hold value in it as well. What say you?
edit on 8-1-2019 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

That is fantastic and very funny for those with zodiac tattoos...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I was born a Libra and will remain a Libra for the rest of my life. If people are so gullable to believe it really makes a difference, then they can change the signs to the new "Idiotic Scientific Discovery" Hasn't NASA got anything better to do than redefine the zodiac signs, making people confused must benefit them somehow. I never even put much interest into the signs.

Some people are crazy over this crap and maybe this info will make them need antidepressents or antianxiety meds now that NASA has released this info. Maybe NASA pensions are heavily invested in Pharma companies and they need to grow the pension funds.

edit on 8-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
"In the end, as the original SpacePlace post points out, the idea that astrology can affect your life or predict your personality traits is just make-believe. If you really feel like a Scorpio, then say you’re a Scorpio. NASA couldn’t care less."

Make believe? MAKE BELIEVE? What I identify as is not make believe! RACISTS! BIGOTS! Couldn't care less, huh!? Well I am going to block streets and feign victim until you do! rrrrrrRRRREEEEEEEEE!!

edit on 8-1-2019 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Actually, this so-called "new sign" has been known about for centuries. The current zodiac is but a Westernization of much older systems, and due to some really intense fascination with making numbers mean more than they actually do, it was "decided" that twelve works better than 13. But, yeah, if you're one of the types who thinks the motion of celestial bodies millions of miles away has actual bearing on your life, then I could see how this would be big news.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Okay which way is the right way? I would be wary of trusting NASA over the old ancient way of things. Has anyone heard of this before?

Oh we (astrologers, that is) have heard of this before. Of course Ophiucus could be significant. But the whole point of this excercise is to bolster the already incredible hubris of NASA. They're not content to be a has-been agency with minimal relevance to the future of space exploration. Oh no. They want to tell us science is the only way to see things, which is pure hogwash. They want to make the rest of us feel small and irrelevant compared to NASA and its fabled scientists.

This is just the work of scientistic ideologues and their P.R. department. I say, ignore them on this matter. Let the insecure little mo*****ers stick to hard science, and leave the occult arts and sciences to the experts -- those who haven't sold their souls to a corporate-governmental overlord

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IanForge
Actually, this so-called "new sign" has been known about for centuries. The current zodiac is but a Westernization of much older systems, and due to some really intense fascination with making numbers mean more than they actually do, it was "decided" that twelve works better than 13. But, yeah, if you're one of the types who thinks the motion of celestial bodies millions of miles away has actual bearing on your life, then I could see how this would be big news.

Did you read the OP? The current zodiac is directly derived from the Babylonian. Babylonians decided to use only 12 constellations because it worked better with their calendar having 12 months.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
N=Never
A= A
S=Straight
A=Answer

Lol...Had a great Chuckle...They believe they have finally got something correct!

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Except for when they didn't. They got theirs from the older Shumerians (I know, not how it's spelled but how itshould be pronounced), who did use 13. When they didn't use 12, or even 11. It was all somewhat less than perfectly organized. I know about the "13th Sign" myself for about 28 years. Not big, or even new, news.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Nope , still Virgo ... I wanted to be Leo !
Damn NASA

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
That is fantastic and very funny for those with zodiac tattoos...

No regerts.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Luckily, I'm still Aries.

I'm aware that in reality the whole things total BS... But still, I've kind of always felt the whole Aries title really sums me up fairly accurately.

I would have just been devastated, if bloody NASA had of demoted me to something else.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Well I never! I've been mis-zodiacked!!!

Seriously, this isn't news for the vast majority of those who study/practice astrology. I haven't looked at the logic for years, but as I recall the 13 house zodiac is based upon or includes the lunar cycle, whereas the common zodiac is based upon the sun's cycle.

I have also read -- perhaps in "When God Was a Woman" -- that there was a form of lunar astrology (13 signs) practiced when goddess worship was the norm, and that it changed to a solar cycle when patriarchy became the norm. (Roughly the time of Abraham if I remember correctly).

There are actually so many celestial cycles taking place simultaneously that I'm pretty sure there could be many different schools of astrology if one really applied themselves...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
my sign of " bastard " - remains valid

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I tried picking up some hot chicks in the bar by saying I was an "Ophiuchus," but no luck.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My birthday is January 14, and I've always been a Capricorn. But according to these guys I'm now a Sagittarius.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So now my star sign has changed all those star sign predictions I read in the local tabloids have been wrong all this time.. Pfft no wonder when my old star sign told me I'd win the lottery in never happened I feel cheated and want compensation for my false hopes

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Nope , still Virgo ... I wanted to be Leo !
Damn NASA

I was normally a Libra like Ricky but this says I am a Virgo.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I've mentioned this before as I discovered this a few years ago looking at "Ayurveda Astrology" And once I started looking at My "real sign" it made it all gel.

I recommend anyone who is interested to get a 'workup' (FREE) And they will be able to tell You what the sky was like at the 'time of entry' I wouldn't know what the site was but I did make mention in My former posts..

I'd also suggest looking at a FREE "Dosha/Guna Quiz" this will tell You which foods/herbs to take to get in 'balance'...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
No way!
I'm a Leo and nobody will tell a leo he's not a real leo and live to tell the tale!

<<   2 >>

join