It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It aint right

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I don't remember what my insurance out of pocket limitations were then but I know for fact I was not out anywhere near $10K a year. I have Medicare supplement now and it's only $6.500 annually out of pocket. Her insurance must have been piss poor to be $10K.

As another poster said, why didn't she carry life insurance for her children? Sounds like she lived for the day and complete disregard for what the future might bring. Poor life planning.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: CharlesT

I tend to come down on this side of the issue as well. I feel for the children. This isn't their fault. However, there is such a thing as life insurance that responsible parents buy when their children are born. AND----it's not nearly as expensive as that Obamacare stuff. This is just part of being a responsible parent.

Maybe people can use this as a learning experience. If you are truly concerned that your life might end before your kids are grown and weaned, buy yourself a term life insurance policy. Social security isn't the answer. It will not cover the survivors' needs.

Same here and i lean more towards libertarian policies for most things because our gov't doesn't deserve more money or power by their actions . However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be working to change that and that is why I think we need to make conflict of interest in DC issue number 1. They are taking our money its just not going to the right places.

in regards to her life insurance I don't know the insurance policy situation, but the problem is that won't kick in until she dies and after she has acquired huge medical bills. So how much are those girls really going to be left with?

I think many people don't see that.

I have insurance and life policies same with my wife , but what do you do when you get a medical condition such as cancer where you don't die immediately but cant work and bills keep piling on on top of bills?

If you are lucky you make it to a certain age where your kids are old enough to take care of themselves and say F it let me die so I can leave some money and assets for my son . In her case she doesn't have that luxury and because she has 2 girls that are underage and not much of a family to rely on to take care of them when she is gone.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Flyingclaydisk offered some damned good advice in his first post. The past is past and the future deserves any further reflection. Go back and review his suggestions. They are sound advice.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

As another poster said, why didn't she carry life insurance for her children? Sounds like she lived for the day and complete disregard for what the future might bring. Poor life planning.

When does life insurance pay? after you die.

What happens before a terminal cancer patient dies that is also recently paralyzed patient on medication. They can't work and normal bills keep piling on on top of medical bills.

What will likely happen when she dies? the life insurance will eventually pay but will go towards paying all the bills acquired during her treatments and bills acquired while she was unable to work. So how much of the life insurance will likely be left for two teenage girls to live off after all the acquired debt is payed off?

Hopefully you or your children won't have to find out the insanity of it all .

I get it I had your mentality. However, I have seen it first hand destroy productive members of society with savings who lost it all with a life changing event . Granted her case is more extreme due to the circumstances and lacking of family assistance and having 2 young girls with less than ideal situations to live after she dies. However, it still isn't right for a country such as ours to not try to do better.

edit on 11131America/ChicagoTue, 08 Jan 2019 20:11:48 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
One last (I promise) bit of advice:

Look into how to become a foster parent. In an emergency you then have the power to step in and make an offer that the county can consider seriously.

Child Protective Services would have to place the kids someplace that's been vetted. If you've got the certification and are interested, that would be a fairly easy sell.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
One last (I promise) bit of advice:

Look into how to become a foster parent. In an emergency you then have the power to step in and make an offer that the county can consider seriously.

Child Protective Services would have to place the kids someplace that's been vetted. If you've got the certification and are interested, that would be a fairly easy sell.

Thats a very good idea as well. Didn't even occur to look at becoming a foster parent. Our son has played with the girls for years and they have spent the night numerous times with us before this ever occurred. So they feel very welcomed at our house. We have told them that any time of the night or day they are always more than welcomed to come over or call us for anything. They have called my wife numerous times when things have gotten hectic for them , so at least I know they feel comfortable with us.

However, we haven't been able to really talk to the mom during her moments of clarity so we are somewhat hesitant to assume what her wishes are. We are kind of observing and helping as much as we can when they need us. This week she had a good friend from up north come down to help so we haven't been over as much , but she leaves tomorrow. They are also now discussing taking her back to a facility since its too much for the grandma to take care of her in the day with the physical stuff.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

in regards to her life insurance I don't know the insurance policy situation, but the problem is that won't kick in until she dies and after she has acquired huge medical bills. So how much are those girls really going to be left with?

So you have no factual knowledge at all about her financial situation and yet you're planning on adopting her children? Wow! If she has insurance how has she acquired these huge medical bills?

If you are lucky you make it to a certain age where your kids are old enough to take care of themselves and say F it let me die so I can leave some money and assets for my son . In her case she doesn't have that luxury and because she has 2 girls that are underage and not much of a family to rely on to take care of them when she is gone.

Luck has nothing to do with it. You do the responsible thing when you have children and make sure to get life insurance that will take care of them until they are on their own.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

So you have no factual knowledge at all about her financial situation and yet you're planning on adopting her children?

Her husband is an alcoholic who talked about running away and giving them up. The mother is too old with starting dementia and isn't handling the stress well. The only other family member is her brother who isn't involved much and the girls don't care for.

While the mother was in the hospital paralyzed the father went on a 9 day drinking binge and the girls stayed with us and the grandma as they were to afraid to stay with him.

When the father was in his drinking binge and the mother was in the hospital getting operated the girls were turning 13. Me and my wife through a birthday party for them with their friends to get their mind of the ordeal. The Brother not only didn't offer to pay which was fine , although we found it odd, but the bastard wasn't even going to show up to their birthday. In addition to other instances prior to this happening , we already had seen his ahole side and the sister not being to keen with him.

I'm not suggesting that I'm going over there and adopting them. However there is a very good possibility they may end up in foster care. If so, I will certainly do everything I can to adopt them. They had enough to deal with and they feel comfortable with us.

Wow! If she has insurance how has she acquired these huge medical bills?

She has copays and deductibles and with cancer your copays are in the 10ks' range not 10 or 100 dollar here and there as most people experience.

Luck has nothing to do with it. You do the responsible thing when you have children and make sure to get life insurance that will take care of them until they are on their own.

Again I explained this before.
Long story short: Life insurance DOESN'T PAY TILL YOU ARE DEAD. The mother even with insurance is accruing massive medical bills on top of not being able to work and still have to pay mortgage, grocery,and all normal bills.

So by the time she dies and life insurance eventually pays she will have acquired massive debt or dwindled through her savings .When she does get life insurance it will likely not be enough to support 2 recent teenage girls and all the bills accrued. Especially if the brother is successful in getting power of attorney.

She is in a situation where she opts to fight the cancer for her girls then she accrues massive bills that will likely cut into her savings and the insurance money.

If she opts to not get treatment in order to make sure her daughters are financially secure , then she will likely die and leave her girls in a questionable environment.

edit on 50131America/ChicagoThu, 10 Jan 2019 19:50:17 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join