It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It aint right

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Blue Shift
That is the meme they are trying to push. It's eugenics all over. The ONLY reason anybody should terminate themselves is if the quality of life, whether severely disabled or terminally ill, is beyond their reason to cope with. NOT someone else's decision.
The world is NOT overpopulated so come away from the idea we have to "cull" the population.
Your last statement "It sucks horribly to be sick and outlive your money" is a typical American response and is totally devoid of any compassion. MONEY AND HEALTH SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE SAME SENTENCE.
Have a word (I can't swear on ATS so I can't really put my true words) with your president, your congress people and tell them to stop spending the trillions of dollars on so called defence (when you all know it's for offensive reasons) and start spending it on the people.
Then outlaw ALL medical insurance companies and stem the super money grabbing medical professionals. Don't say it can't be done, it can, it just takes the will.

Well, certainly the decision to end one's life would best be made by the person themselves, if possible. As for money not being an issue when it comes to life and health, well, I guess I don't live in the same world you do. Good luck with outlawing insurance companies -- or doing away with those massive medical corporations.

As for me, if I'm ever in a position where all I see before me in life is pain and treatment, I just hope that I still have the capability of ending my own life if I want to and that I'm not tied down to a hospital bed to slowly wither away in agony. We are genetically designed to die to free up our resources for the next generation. I got no problem with that. Get me off the pain train.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I thank god every day that I don't live in the USA. I have had a couple of operations and numerous medical procedures that if I lived there I would not own my own house(which I do, fully paid for) and I would be penniless. How much did it cost me? Err let me think, Oh yes NOTHING. I paid all my life( a small amount) to my government which guaranteed me free healthcare and free medication till I die.
IT CAN BE DONE.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Exactly this!

My family long ago put the land-related assets into a trust to insulate against exactly this kind of thing. If we hadn't, we would have long ago lost them because we are not a wealthy family except for the land and our ancestors were wise when it came to that and knew land = liberty.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Exactly this!

My family long ago put the land-related assets into a trust to insulate against exactly this kind of thing. If we hadn't, we would have long ago lost them because we are not a wealthy family except for the land and our ancestors were wise when it came to that and knew land = liberty.

A trust won't really help for most Americans or in this case for my neighbor.

The problem is that she will need treatment and despite having insurance she still has to pay her normal bills and 10Ks of thousands in out of pocket expenses for medical bills without being able to work .

Either she puts what she has now saved away in a trust before they take it or she uses that money to prolong her life a little longer to get treatment.

If her children were older and adults I say f the treatment, but since she has two teenage daughters with not much of a family to look out after them. The decision is not so straight forward and easy. Either way its a decision no parent should have to make in what is considered a world leader nation.

edit on 53131America/ChicagoTue, 08 Jan 2019 14:53:42 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

People are slowly getting over the notion that all life is precious and should be extended at all costs.

I believe in quality over quantity aswell. However, in this case she really doesn't have the option as she has two children that aren't old enough to take care of themselves nor a family support system to take care of her children after she is gone. Unfortunately the worst is yet to come for those girls.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

My heart goes out to those girls and their Mom. You are an amazing neighbor and friend and I'm sure you will do whatever is in your power to help them.

I wish you all the best and hope for the best possible outcome.
I don't understand why billions go to other Countries while we have so many citizens here struggling to stay afloat. Too many people suffering and losing every penny they have over medical bills, homeless people etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
I believe in quality over quantity aswell. However, in this case she really doesn't have the option as she has two children that aren't old enough to take care of themselves nor a family support system to take care of her children after she is gone. Unfortunately the worst is yet to come for those girls.

It certainly sucks, but that's the way it is with life in general. No guarantees. Fortunately, I guess, there are people all over the world who are in even worse situations, yet they still manage to cobble together full and productive lives until they die miserably.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I was born in a third world country so im aware of how things suck and i know life isnt fair and will never be.

However , i think we can do better in this country when it comes to healthcare as a world leader.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I was born in a third world country so im aware of how things suck and i know life isnt fair and will never be.
However , i think we can do better in this country when it comes to healthcare as a world leader.

Considering the incredible abundance we have in this world compared to times past, where you were taking your life in your hands if you drank water or got an infected cut (or had a baby), a lot of things could be better. Maybe when the super AI takes over, it'll straighten everybody out.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Government isn’t here to take care of people. They are here to provide equal opportunity to all citizens and to ensure they’re Constitutional Rights are respected. No one has a constitutional Right to have someone else take care of them.

This doesn’t mean that family, individuals or private organizations can’t be there to help others, but it isn’t the role of the nanny state.

edit on 2019/1/8 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

The way insurance is supposed to work is you have a giant pool where the healthy people pay for tragedies like what happen to your neighbor. Unfortunately, because of the profit motive and greed, we get the worse possible service at the highest possible cost. And most of it goes to shareholders because by law corporations are supposed to maximize the return to its shareholders.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Byrd

I know we don't often agree on politics but thank you very much for that information and great suggestions I didn't think about.

A few other suggestions (after reading a bit, checking notes, etc):

As a family friend, your hands will be tied -- when asking about programs, lie like a yellah dawg (as we say here in Texas) and say you're a distant cousin (you probably are, actually.)

One of the best and strongest things you can do is to make your house a point of refuge for the girls (if you have that kind of relationship); someone they can come to when things get weird or upsetting.

If you and your wife have gotten together some idea of resources, then if a kid shows up and says "Mom has an appointment but she can't drive" and you can say "let me make a few calls and find someone" then that becomes an extremely valuable service. You are then in a position to act as a help to the kids. Also see if you can cultivate the mother, who should have legal/social power over grandkids.

I'll be blunt: stage 4 is almost always a terminal diagnosis and she may not be in much of a condition to help or understand very shortly.

Find a college librarian that you're comfortable with and who's sympathetic (this may require you to show up and talk to them to get a "feel" for the ground)
* ask about local assistance programs for medical and other bills (this will probably have to be negotiated by the family, and from what you say this is going to be a problem.)
* ask about local food programs (make sure the kids and mom can eat)... does mom have Meals On Wheels assistance (possibly not, but with changed fortunes it may be hard to get her enrolled in this.)
* check with local Senior Center. They may have programs that can help the mom (and in helping mom, will help the family (and by mom, I mean the doctor's mom). This would include a local bus that picks up seniors and takes them shopping (relieving someone else of the duty.) The Senior Center may have contact numbers for assistance with other bills such as heating and electricity.
* your state MAY have some information on catastrophic illness and options for patients. The workers are probably overwhelmed, so I would ask a librarian to look for state information (and then you can deal more efficiently with the system using that knowledge.)

Some information on Quora about minor children and an adult who doesn't make a will

You can consider a GoFundMe, but I don't see it making much headway unless the story goes national.

UK site for teens who have parent with cancer - don't know if the information here is something the girls can use, but they will (sadly) start to have to take on the caretaker role.

..and if I think of anything else, I will make a note of it. If you need help researching, please PM me.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The Dems and the Reps play the game with healthcare. It is all about getting a vote or credit to get the vote. That is all any of us is to them, a vote nothing more. They say they give a sh!t but they sure have a funny way of showing it.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Government isn’t here to take care of people. They are here to provide equal opportunity to all citizens and to ensure they’re Constitutional Rights are respected. No one has a constitutional Right to have someone else take care of them.

I never stated that the gov't is here to take care of people. To be honest under the current conflict of interest our politicians have, I would not dare to implement such thing anyways.

However I question if a country should be labeled as a first nation and world leader if its productive members of society and a parent has to chose between paying to live or leaving her children behind as orphans with no financial means to support them . Which will only put more burden on the system down the road anyways. We are all paying it for it one way or another but right now the majority of productive people aren't the ones getting the better end of the deal.

I think that many won't realize the gravity of the situation until they are older and its to late when their nest egg is wiped clean by medical bills after decades of working and paying into the system. I have seen it happen to many times.

We can do better and we should try, but first we need to make conflict of interest in DC as issue number 1 before even talking about solutions.

unfortunately, In this case its too late for my neighbor and likely yourself and myself but maybe our kids grand-kids can have it better.

edit on 35131America/ChicagoTue, 08 Jan 2019 17:35:54 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 37131America/ChicagoTue, 08 Jan 2019 17:37:44 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The way insurance is supposed to work is you have a giant pool where the healthy people pay for tragedies like what happen to your neighbor.

Unfortunately, because of the profit motive and greed, we get the worse possible service at the highest possible cost. And most of it goes to shareholders because by law corporations are supposed to maximize the return to its shareholders.

Absolutely agree and what people don't understand also is even with insurance you are in the hook for $10k of thousand of dollars in copays and there is a payout limit where the benefits are capped.

Unfortunately my neighbor is in a situation that she can't just say f it to the compounding bills and treatment .because she has two teenage girls with questionable means of survival after she is gone.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm sure this will come off being cruel and insensitive but,,,, governments have no authority or obligation to take care of every individual from cradle to grave. That responsibility belongs to the individual. Unfortunately, many are not financially able to meet the financial burdens of modern medicine but the burden is still the individual's.

Welcome to the real world. Life is a bitch, then you die.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I'm sure this will come off being cruel and insensitive but,,,, governments have no authority or obligation to take care of every individual from cradle to grave. That responsibility belongs to the individual. Unfortunately, many are not financially able to meet the financial burdens of modern medicine but the burden is still the individual's.

Welcome to the real world. Life is a bitch, then you die.

Not cruel just comes off as being lucky or not having children and not seeing what it has done to family and friends who were productive members of society who were financially secure and responsible until such a sickness occurred.

Again I question if a country should be labeled as a first nation and world leader if its productive members of society and a parent has to chose between paying to live or leaving her children behind as orphans with no financial means to support them . Which will only put more burden on the system down the road anyways. We are all paying it for it one way or another but right now the majority of productive people aren't the ones getting the better end of the deal.

edit on 49131America/ChicagoTue, 08 Jan 2019 17:49:17 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A person with a PhD background and can't afford insurance? I was just a lowly industrial electrician and I kept quality insurance for months after I was laid off in 2009 until I was accepted on Medicare. A PhD can't afford medical insurance?Where is the father? Is he dead or just an uncaring deadbeat PhD.

I'm a basic neanderthal in respect to self reliance. The only sure path to success is the one you make... Only YOU are responsible for YOU.
edit on 8-1-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
A person with a PhD background and can't afford insurance?

Yes she is a PhD and HAS insurance. The problem is that she did things right and is in her early 50's but over a weekend she went from being offered and accepting a very high paying head of a department job to being diagnosed with terminal cancer and paralyzed to not being able to work . She still has the same bills to pay and she is still paying her medical insurance , but on top of that she has co pays in the $10ks of thousands racking up with no signs of stopping .

These treatments can reach into the millions and not only require copays but also are capped in payout. Althoug, I'm not sure if she qualifies for medicare or medicaid or if the gov't will kick in after she loses her life savings? In the end we all pay but now it appears that we are overpaying for not much in return.

Perhaps its time to re analyses our healthcare system and I'm not talking about that Obamacare crap eitherr. Our current system doesn't appear to be working for most people that get an illness such as cancer, especially for those that have been paying into the system the most from what I have seen.

Where is the father? Is he dead or just an uncaring deadbeat

Bingo on the latter , although I wouldn't say completely uncaring but more of incapable of properly taking care of the girls.

The rest of the family is along the same lines.

edit on 21131America/ChicagoTue, 08 Jan 2019 18:21:18 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I tend to come down on this side of the issue as well. I feel for the children. This isn't their fault. However, there is such a thing as life insurance that responsible parents buy when their children are born. AND----it's not nearly as expensive as that Obamacare stuff. This is just part of being a responsible parent.

Maybe people can use this as a learning experience. If you are truly concerned that your life might end before your kids are grown and weaned, buy yourself a term life insurance policy. Social security isn't the answer. It will not cover the survivors' needs.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join