It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor De Blasio Announces Health Care For All NYC Residents

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're right it is a service, because it takes an individual to give their skill and knowledge.

But when you supplement those who decide to practice medicine with great care, they will take care of those in need.

I worked with someone whose father was a doctor in Colombia, when he moved his family to Canada he had to jump through hoops to become a doctor again. It was far to hard so he started his own company.

But he had a knack apparently to just go home and help his home land, he gave up a successful career here in Canada to go back and practice again, less pay, lower standard of life, but the Colombian government supplemented him to help his homeland, and in return he got a decent life style. Doctors in any nation that has universal healthcare are not living to make a decent wage, they are given the decent wage on a silver platter. If a doctor is in it for the money, then they shouldn't be a doctor at all.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Spot on, it's a sad state of affairs indeed..

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Compare populations. all of the UK 66 million people compared to 325 million in the US.

Brits are really good at making their system seem magical while everything burns around them.
500 million people in the EU have tax funded healthcare. Try again mate.

They do, but you don't want to try Romanian public healthcare, I assure you.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
When it comes to healthcare, our diversity works against us because it means our population has a much wider range of medical issues that need treatment than, say, Denmark, which has a mostly-homogeneous population (87% Danish).

Actually, that's not why our diversity works against us. Our diversity works against us because we are a multiculture, not a uniculture. Different cultures have different values, different standards of what constitutes hard work and different values on things like charity, family, etc.

A monoculture can be reasonably certain that all parties involved can be invested in the health of the whole and working to put into a system that everyone feels is reasonably maintained for the good of all, but in a multiculture, not every culture will work to the same point or feels that they need to be invested to the same degree. There isn't the same degree of shared values and trust. So the system falls apart because not everyone is invested.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Dont cherry pick my post. I could post a thousand articles critical of the NHS. It ain't the gold standard. MRSA anyone?

There is good and bad to both, b honest in your assessment.
I didn't cherry pick. You made the point of old people losing their homes to pay for social care, that is not the domain of the NHS, it is local council social services which provide that. I made the point that old people in such a circumstance get to keep the last 21 grand of their capital to pass on as inheritance. Nobody loses their home in the UK to fund healthcare.

I'm not saying the NHS is the gold standard but it is certainly more preferable to me than the US system. Remember we can also have private insurance here if we wish, some of my mates do, I've never bothered because the service I've had from the NHS has always been fantastic.
As I mentioned previously, I presented myself to my doctor last year with issues and had an MRI scan on my brain to rule a brain tumour out within a week.

You seem to be very critical of tax funded healthcare, yet as an American living in Britain you would be treated with no questions about income or insurance. I support that, and I can't imagine living in a world where money determines if you get treated or not.

You can criticise it all you like but it is one of the few things which unites all British people left or right, tax funded healthcare for all. It is shameful that the US is the only developed country in the world where getting cancer could make you bankrupt. But go ahead, defend that cruel system if you like.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublant

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Compare populations. all of the UK 66 million people compared to 325 million in the US.

Brits are really good at making their system seem magical while everything burns around them.
500 million people in the EU have tax funded healthcare. Try again mate.

They do, but you don't want to try Romanian public healthcare, I assure you.
I'd take any EU healthcare if I had no money. At least the Romanian system will treat you without making you bankrupt. Romanian people are also free to take out insurance if they wish to, best of both worlds unlike the US if you haven't got cover then you are # out of luck.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I said their is good and bad to both. And one can go to an emergency room in the US t any time and you are not obligated to pay. Just ask any illegal.

link   

I said their is good and bad to both. And one can go to an emergency room in the US t any time and you are not obligated to pay. Just ask any illegal.

link   

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I can't crack open a history book for you if that is your argument. What the USA hasn't been at the forefront of global influence over the past 70 years?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Reminder!

Go after the ball not the player.
Community Announcement re: Decorum

So, please play nice......
You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

You as a US citizen living here, would be treated for cancer if you presented yourself at an NHS hospital. The same would not be true for me if I moved to the US.
Face it, the US healthcare system is awful for millions of your people. Going bankrupt over medical bills, the only developed nation in the world which has such a situation. Keep defending it though, but I can't imagine for the life of me how anyone can defend it.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: lakenheath24

I'm "OK" with healthcare for everybody as far as that goes, although it is never truly "free." My only problem is those who believe they are owed medical care or other life sustaining assistance simply for existing. But you are right, it is a tough situation. From an ideological perspective, I am against forcing others to do just about anything that doesn't hurt someone else. But from a realistic perspective, I too am unable to turn a blind eye to such things

I stopped to read a number of reports on what was being proposed and after some consideration I'm really for it and it saves the city millions of dollars.

What's happening is that people can't afford health care (and this includes some middle class people) and so they work sick (spreading germs) or can't afford meds (and become sick) and eventually they're in crisis and someone has to call the ambulance and it's a trip to the emergency room (I did ride-alongs with the fire department for a few days and that particular station had several calls where a diabetic patient couldn't afford their meds and collapsed (fire trucks are sent to any medical emergency in case the EMTs need help with access or help moving the patient or help with crowd control.))

And of course, the emergency calls can't be paid so the debt piles up and up and up.

De Blasio's plan (which has a sliding scale fee for physician visits) makes a lot of sense and actually cuts the costs -- or will, if people use it.

Back in the day, when I was a teaching assistant at a medical school (I have had a set of odd careers), we tried to emphasize to the students that preventive care was expensive but it was a LOT cheaper than the cost of a medical crisis. The same is true today.

So under the rhetoric and so forth, there's a pretty sound concept... and as our European friends keep saying, getting someone to the doctor to prevent a catastrophic health issue is a lot cheaper and reduces human misery in the long run.

It will take some tweaking and adjustments, but it's a sound concept.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Mayor De Blasio Announces Health Care For All NYC Residents

Read that again.

ALL NYC residents.

Meaning legal or not.

That's going to come crashing down faster than a half baked Elon Musk, and cost considerably more.

edit on 9-1-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Do you reckon people from outside the city will register at a friends address there, or sign up with some gangster offering mail/residency addresses to get the free healthcare? Perfect scam people could earn money from. I'd take money off someone who has cancer to register and say they lived in my home if it made me an earner and saved them £100,000.
That is what will happen in NY in my opinion.
EDIT
...unless the whole US offers tax funded healthcare then any local schemes will fail because anyone seriously unwell will just move there. I would.
edit on 9-1-2019 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

EDIT
I have a loved US friend, she pays a fortune in insurance, she knows I'd marry her so she could be treated on the UK taxpayers penny if she had some condition her insurance wouldn't cover. We're friends and I love her as a friend, so if she ever needs help because the US private insurance system is so crap then I'll help her.
Be treated in the UK for free then fly back to the US.
...I know some folk will be outraged, but when you love your mates you love your mates.
edit on 9-1-2019 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No offense, but seems you don't know much about the US or Romanian health care. In the US it depends on the state and city what kind of health care you will receive. I'd rather be poor and get sick in Buffalo than Timisoara.

Now, I admit that the US system has problems (increased use of emergency care for example) and especially for low income folks and I'd be for somekind of public option, with small fees.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This guy is going to turn his city into a dump

If you vote this guy back in you have no brain cells.. Watch how fast NYC collapses now

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'll assume this is coming from the NYC income tax and not a state wide tax.

In which case do not care let them fail.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: DanDanDat
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

I'm sure those who can afford to do so will ... leaving the rest of us middle class folks to foot the bill.

It's a wonder you all can pay rent as it is.

It's insane. Going on my seventh year here in NYC. For the first time ever I think I will be able to live alone and afford a small studio in BK for $1450 a month, which everyone thinks is a good deal, as most are more. The same place would be $2-3000 in the nice areas of Brooklyn or most of Manhattan. The only other option is to move somewhere far out that is like middle of Staten Island or far east Queens, and have a long ass commute. Even commuter locations like those, and including nearby Jersey, Long Island, etc, are skyrocketing in price.

My current place and former place, also in the hood of BK (Crown Heights), cost $1100 for my room, in a shared place with roommates.

Current median rent in Crown Heights is $2600 for a two bedroom.

edit on 9-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join