It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sharpest View Ever of the Triangulum Galaxy , 40 Billion Stars and Counting

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

But wouldnt who we are as humans relate to the forbidden fruit, of exploring the cosmos. We have showed that we should not yet posses the knowledge to destroy other planets as we have not found a way to maintain our own.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

But in an infinite universe what can happen will inevitably be reproduced multiple times over.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Please feel free to provide evidence that what you say is 100% fact.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

But in an infinite universe what can happen will inevitably be reproduced multiple times over.

It is speculated that it took two and a half billion years for us to go from single celled to multi-celled beings, which is necessary for life to develop the capability for intelligence. As well, that time frame eats up much of our sun's expected lifespan before it blows up. As well the Earth has not experienced any major cosmic collisions within the last 70 million years which would most likely have caused our mass extinction.

Point being, there are so many varying factors which led up to our rise and continued existence as sentient, intelligent beings it just seems the odds of life being on par with us somewhere else in the universe, to me would not be inevitable, but rather rare, if at all.

Hubble's camera is broken

www.cnn.com...
edit on 01CST09America/Chicago04990931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Blue Shift
There is no one exactly like you on Earth so why wouldn't there be unique beings in other galaxies?

Oh, I never said there couldn't be. But do you know for sure that there are? Keeping in mind that hypothetical aliens are essentially non-existent.

There might be aliens out there. And monkeys might fly out of my butt. I figure the odds are about the same.

There are only theories and speculations from human beings and then there is the reason of deduction. I choose to believe that out of billions of galaxies, there is life elsewhere in the universe.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
There are only theories and speculations from human beings and then there is the reason of deduction. I choose to believe that out of billions of galaxies, there is life elsewhere in the universe.

You can believe whatever you want to believe.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I get that, but that doesnt quite rebute my inevitable claim to someone that was suggesting us being a one off. For us to be a one off our pretense for life could not have existed the amount of time it takes to create us, IF we're speaking in terms of infinite that is impossible.

Mind you when we're speaking of infinite we're talking about the vastness the expanse, it doesnt take in the account the most likely cyclical nature of our universe's life. The explosive force of positive energy expanding in a negatively pressured vaccum at some point will stretch its growth force to too thin allowing the pressure to overtake and condense the energy back to a singularity to repeat the process, a heartbeat if you will.

The only unselfish reason I could see for us exploring beyond our planet would be if we assumed it was a brain and our purpose would be to interconnect the energy force, creating neuorpathways so it can communicate with itself and share energy. Of course if that were the case the advent of AI and robots would make us effectively useless beyond this point and we would have fulfilled our purpose #goteamhumans.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

As we exist right now, we well may be a one off, we really can't prove anything one way or the other. And as someone said earlier, so far it looks like the cosmos is a sterile place.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I dont know that I would call it sterile the same energy that allowed for our creation exists out there, just maybe not the same conditions. Of course it would all depend on what you consider the presence of life, I would consider it anything that actively interacts with energy consumes/transfers/expels as without the energy source for an organic creature as ourselves we could not exist. How would that which gives us life not be alive as well? We're just egotistical enough to assume the form we are encapsulated in as being of some importance. If energy cannit be created nor destroyed our life force has always existed and will always exist in some form or another. The perception of the meaningfulness of our form of life is only relative to us.

I just cant see us being a one off either way. Even if we happen to be the only one at the moment doesnt make us a one off.

As you say we can only speculate, I would suggest our existence in this form will never last long enough to measure the macro and micro of our universe relative to importance of time and have real numerical values for the variables involved to truly know. We will never know how a micro numerical variable that's not meaningful in a hundred years changes things over a million years or billions.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I love it how an image of a galaxy sparked such deep existential discussion.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Stephen Hawking, who was the smartest man in the world, believed in intelligent life out there and that it is just a matter of time until we meet it.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
That Hubble mosaic of Triangulum galaxy features this stunning gem - NGC 604

It's a nebula in the Triangulum galaxy, and it's one of the largest known nebulae in the Local Group of galaxies (which the Milky Way is part of), being roughly 1,520 light years across.

This star-forming region is so massive that the stars that were born there formed a globular cluster. Some stars were so massive they have already evolved and exploded in a supernova.

And this nebula is almost 3 million light years away from us. Imagine the sight it would present if we were located near it in the Triangulum galaxy!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo
a reply to: gortex

While it seems likely other life would exist outside of our own Solar System, it is still possible that we we are the only organic life to yet exist.

Possible? Yes.
But highly unlikely -- unlikely to the extreme.

However, considering that we do not yet have an example of life elesewhere, scientifically speaking we cannot 100% rule out the possibility that there is none. Having said that, I think we can 99.99999999999...(with lots more 9s)% rule out that possibility.

I personally believe that other life -- including intelligent life -- exists in the universe. But what I personally believe is irrelevant. What I believe does not change that fact that until we actually find other life, science would need to say that there is still a non-zero chance (infinitesimally small chance, but non-zero) that there is none.

edit on 1/11/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
We can’t get two identical photos of earth but they have these beautiful clear photos of galaxies millions and billions of light years away... right..

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: antmax21

Righto, so this is all fake then, is it? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Wouldn't you like to be like the other unimaginitive people here who just enjoy repeating that no evidence means it doesn't exist.

You know the same people that think this world needed a perfect storm to kickstart life even though the Earth was a toxic burning hell hole when life first started assembling itself.

And we all know how perfectly safe an environment the cosmos is, nice and calm and all.

You would not prefer to limit yourself and not believe out of the billions of Galaxies in the Universe that contain quadrillions of planets, that life here on Earth is the only one because we have not seen aything else?

You're out of your mind.

STOP. It's time to act like a logical droid without emotion.

----

I like to believe in Panspermia, that life, or certain segments of the building blocks of life were transported here (not by aliens, but that would be so cool).

While yes a host of amino acids can be created by the early stages of Earth's environment, I just cannot wrap around that something complex like RNA and DNA just self assembled itself into a replicating life form from nothing.

While Panspermia does not answer how life begun and is not meant to, it could be the reason life is here.

Heck, life may of started on Mars and was transported here during a Bombardment period and blossomed on Earth while Mars died.

*Shrugs* So many possibilities in this Universe.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: antmax21

That is an easy one. It is just photons and length of time of the shot.

You can even take a photo of several galaxies with a point and shoot 50$ camera and a tiny telescope (or binoculars) - Andromeda is a great target for that.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: antmax21
We can’t get two identical photos of earth but they have these beautiful clear photos of galaxies millions and billions of light years away... right..

I'm not sure what you mean by "identical", but there are several images here that were taken in quick succession that show many examples of near-identical images of Earth.

www.flickr.com...

www.flickr.com...

www.flickr.com...

www.flickr.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon

I like to believe in Panspermia, that life, or certain segments of the building blocks of life were transported here (not by aliens, but that would be so cool).

While yes a host of amino acids can be created by the early stages of Earth's environment, I just cannot wrap around that something complex like RNA and DNA just self assembled itself into a replicating life form from nothing.

While Panspermia does not answer how life begun and is not meant to, it could be the reason life is here.

Heck, life may of started on Mars and was transported here during a Bombardment period and blossomed on Earth while Mars died.

Maybe Earth life was brought here via panspermia. Maybe it did start an Mars or some other place and find its way here somehow. Maybe.

However, if we say that it is possible for life to spontaneously start on Mars or some other planet, then we have to say it is possible for earth life to have spontaneously started on Earth.

I mean, what would make Mars so special that life could start there but not here?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

..but my personal belief is that habitable planets "out there" will stay barren until.... we receive them.

That's intersting.. so what would lead you to believe that?

That in all of the billions or trillions of visible galaxies, that we are the only life?

What is your reasoning?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join