It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeoacoustics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I'm trying to research smartphone brain entrainment but my laptop thinks I need to read this instead.

www.landscape-perception.com...

This bit is ignorant, it's simple physics, not 'seemingly magical'.

. . . the Reading duo performed drumming inside the chambered Neolithic mound of Camster Round, Caithness. Although the drumming could not be heard more than a hundred yards away in the open air outside the cairn, the sound faintly but seemingly magically reappeared inside the neighbouring chambered mound of Camster Long at least twice as far away.

I once dug a well close to a source of reggae music. On days when the music could not be heard above ground it could be heard down the well coming through the ground. The sound of wind turbines also travels much further underground than above. Allegedly the seismic signature of wind farms is used by oil companies to map out oil reservoirs. Californian tribes used to communicate over distances of up to fifteen miles by hammering on one rocky outcrop and listening at another in the same strata, until they got shot by 'civilised' men for listening to rock spirits. I believe the same was done with rocking stones in Britain. Apart from that rather obvious effect I find this article fascinating.

Sound can be used for healing. Cats heal themselves by purring. Many ancient chambers, churches and other structures are acoustical healing devices. Think of monks chanting around an injured knight in a chapel. It's a healing method.

The Great Pyramid is an acoustical device that can separate the spirit from the body when the subject is floating in the king's sarcophagus float tank and the correct chanting is employed.

Some quartz-rich stone chambers generate electricity when absorbing the vibrations of chanting. They can also hold recordings of messages.

All this was easier before the endless sound pollution we suffer from now. The noise of jet aircraft causes stress to everyone for miles around. When the jets were grounded in Europe during the Icelandic volcanic eruption general mental health across the affected area improved. Sound/vibration has far reaching effects.

I suspect church bells were introduced to disrupt meditation and keep the population malleable and impressionable.

Archeoacoustics. As if I didn't have enough to think about. Thanks, laptop.

edit on 8 1 2019 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Don't forget Stonehenge vibing at 432 mhz.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Fascinating topic! ATS thread by SLAYER69 from 2013:

Scientists Reveal Extraordinary Sonic Properties of Stonehenge....

ETA:

ATS thread by Angus123 from 2010:

Acoustic Levitation is Real!

ATS thread by kiwifoot from 2010:

Sound - The Lost Secret of the Ancient Monument Builders is Finally Coming to Light!
edit on 8-1-2019 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Awesome thread topic! We've ventured into sound/vibration/healing in another thread. I can't get enough of this stuff.

ATS member "Nothin" posted this relevant quote in that other thread:

"If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration." --Nicola Tesla.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

That reminds me of something I saw at a science museum. There's a parabolic reflector aimed at another one far across the room. If you whisper into one anyone standing at the other will hear it but nobody else will.

It's something like this:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Interesting concept.

Though, I think several concepts/priciples are getting confused here, or melded together when maybe they shouldn't be combined.

On the one hand we have the concept of the propagation of sound through different mediums.

On the other hand we have the effect of sound/acoustics on living organisms.

Then, on the 'third' hand we have the study of resonant frequencies in structures and formations

And lastly, on the 'forth' hand we have the electromagnetic properties of acoustics in any of the above environments.

I think the point of your OP (at least my observation) is to explore the effects of sound/acoustics on living organisms, more so than the other principles identified. And, I would agree, this is an interesting area which (in my humble opinion) warrants further investigation by the scientific community.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Along those same lines, at Denver International Airport there used to be a circle of world clocks in the train station at the Terminal. The clocks were attached all around the bottom edge of a cathedral. If you stood precisely in the center of cathedral above you could hear the second hands of all the clocks ticking wildly (it would be enough to drive one nuts if they stood there long enough), but if you stood slightly off center you heard nothing. When there were no people around (no background noise) you could stand off center and whisper something upwards into the cathedral, and only someone standing precisely in the center of the would hear it. Interestingly, it didn't really matter how far off-center you stood (i.e. at what angle). Regardless, only a person standing in the exact center would hear the whisper. It was like a prismatic effect with acoustics. Regardless of the angle of entry, the angle of exit for any acoustic wave was always exactly the same.

I always loved finding stuff like that in nature.

Acoustics has some really interesting properties. I've had to solve some pretty complex acoustics problems before in large spaces, and the technology it takes is pretty amazing. One time we were in a very large space with lots of hard surfaces which caused tremendous acoustic reflections. So, things like paging announcements were practically unintelligible. The amplitude (loudness) wasn't the issue, it was all the reflections. The problem was, some sound traveled a given distance (x) before it reflected back to the listener, while other sounds traveled direct to the listener. When you scaled this up a couple hundred times (for all the different reflective surfaces in the space)...all the listener would hear was pure noise.

To solve the problem we had to put different time delays on all the audio sources, taking into account all the reflections, so the sound always arrived at a listener at the same time (even after bouncing off something else). And, believe it or not, some of these time delays were several seconds different.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I read that that place is creepy.

I like natural amphitheaters the acoustics are neat.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Could you please provide proof ( preferably a link not a youtube video) of California natives communicating in the way you've quoted?
thanks.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There was a domed entryway to the Student Union at my college that if you hummed a certain note (and not very loudly, either), the whole place would vibrate. I've also found places like that in department stores and malls.

It might be interesting to go into the various pyramids and test to see what kind of resonant frequencies they have. I suspect that with many of them being made out of rocks there could be some good ones. I don't know what religious or cultural significance those frequencies might have, if any. It's not like the entry to my old Student Union was specifically tuned to resonate at the frequency it did.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
There's a parabolic reflector aimed at another one far across the room. If you whisper into one anyone standing at the other will hear it but nobody else will.

There's apparently a spot in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington where you can stand and hear what people are whispering on the other side of the room. Pretty sneaky way to eavesdrop.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
don't forget Chichen Itza

It's probably where the white house got the idea.

Two remarkable acoustical features were noticed during excavation in the 1920s, but never explained or interpreted. A whispering gallery permits voice communication between temples located about 460 feet (140 m) apart. A profound flutter echo is heard between the two massive parallel walls of the playing field, about 270 ft (82 m) long, 28 ft (8.5 m) high, and 119 ft (36 m) apart. Until recently, most archaeologists dismissed acoustical features at Mayan sites as unintended artifacts. That is now changing.

asa.scitation.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Knapperdude

I looked before starting this thread but couldn't locate it. This is the closest I've got so far. books.google.co.uk... _RUPk7tEM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwik-LrLit_fAhUztHEKHYMOBeoQ6AEwFXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=daddy%20long%20legs%20venom%20arrows%20bear&f=false

The spider venom method of killing grizzlies was mentioned by the same writer/researcher. He had got permission from tribal representatives to try the rock with cellphones to confirm and found it possible. Many of the outcrops had been blown up and no longer existed but there were two I think around 14 miles apart. Older or disabled people manned the communication stations.

I'll keep looking.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

ATS thread by Toltec from way back in 2002:

Mayan Sound Technology
edit on 8-1-2019 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Thanks

One flag (2 now) and 1 reply. Sad.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

great thread Kester

I once worked in the next county down in Sutherland at the castle , the gate house has a round turret room same with the factors house i turned my radio on at 2 in the room and wow what a sound you would swear the radio was on full blast even talking made the room echo loudly , loved that house it was like a tardis inside

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Love it! Great thread, super into this kinda thing, and enjoy reading and learning about it! SnF dude

I remember watching a documentary about people doing this very thing up somewhere on Shetland (UK) - will have to try find it as it was really interesting. Will get back to you..

You may enjoy this other ATS thread among a similar line..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been learning and reading lots about sound recently and find it immensely fascinating! Here's a couple of links for peeps fun and perusal...

Forgotten In Time: The Ancient Solfeggio Frequencies

What are the Solfeggio Frequencies?

edit on 8-1-2019 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Knapperdude

Can't find it. Kit Carson was said to have been surprised by representatives of several tribes greeting him when he arrived. They'd been alerted by the rock telegraph and travelled from their various areas. I'd like to find that piece again. He'd been there and tried it with permission from descendants of those who'd operated the system.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I loved watching the videos on Youtube from Malta and the Gp in Egypt when they do the harmonic tests and wonder about Pythagoras and his time inside it and the key of e , the pyramid when fully clothed would ring to the frequency of the planet and warn of impending doom from comets

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Not exactly related, but I've also recently become aware of how some larger topographical structures like valleys can take the noise of a high-flying plane and resonate it to create a massive low-frequency hum. I've heard it myself in the California San Fernando Valley.

But that would be more "geoacoustics" than anything, I guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join