It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 a good year for Gaming

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I remember around this time last year I wrote a gamers rant reflecting on what a bad year 2017 felt like for gaming, it was on the whole pretty disappointing when I look back. Sure there were a few decent games that year but for the most part I felt like it was disappointing.

Then we get into 2018 and honestly when I look back over the games I played last year I can only conclude that its been the best I can remember in quite some time. I started of the year playing Monster Hunter Worlds, a truly amazing game that got me back in touch with a few old friends as we went hunting monsters and the thought of fighting a Xeno'Jiiva still leaves me feeling a bit ill. So that was pretty good but then we got Detroit Become human a totally different kind of game that while probably not even in my top 5 it was still a pretty enjoyable game. Three games though really blew me aways, Spiderman, God of War and of course Red Dead Redemption 2, just three big contenders for Game of the year that all came out in a single year, anyone of them would have been worthy winners. I still actually have to play a lot of good games from 2018 like Assassins Creed Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4 and Hitman 2 (currently downloading)

My biggest complaint actually of 2017 was how it felt like we were paying for half a game, sure Destiny two was ok for what it was but for the full experience they make you pay again for the full game and then some. This year the biggest games didn't have that issue, it felt like they got the message and have realised that we don't want to pay twice. Not that EA and Activision seem to have understood the message, Fifa remains a mess and Black Ops Three totally failed to live up to its namesake without even bothering with a single player. There were other disappointments, as a huge Tomb Raider fan I was massively disappointed with how the new trilogy ended and I was really disappointed not to see a new Splinter-cell release announced at E3

Yet despite this on balance I was very happy with how things went last year. 2019 so far looks like it has the potential to be another good year, Ace Combat 7 is out later this month but after that there is a plethora of big titles releasing. We are getting a Resident Evil 2 remake, the Devision 2 (loved the first), Metro Exodus, Anthem, Days gone, the Walking dead game and perhaps even Star Wars Fallen order and who can forget the last of us part 2.
edit on 8-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Resident Evil 2 remake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Awesome year for gamers some huge titles to stuck into from last year. I of course think RDR2 is a must have. Kingdom come deliverance another outstanding title Now if they could give me a decent Game of thrones my life would be complete lol

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Still waiting on the FFVII Remake.

*Stares in Square's direction*

Also, Xeno'jiiva isn't hard at all. But then, I have 500+ hours in MHWorld and have gotten Platinum in that game.

Currently slogging through Bloodborne, then going to play Dark Souls 2 and 3. (Already got Platinum in Dark Souls 1)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
2018 was a really bad year for gaming. Some good content came out of it but man this year felt so bad to me.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
2018 was a really bad year for gaming. Some good content came out of it but man this year felt so bad to me.

Xbox guy...

Joking but seriously I am curious why was it a bad year what was lacking for you.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I've been playing RDR2 for the last few weeks now.

I was really enjoying it until I got to the whole Rhodes storyline. Now I don't even want to finish the game.

I guess rockstar decided to go full blown retard with the whole ignorant Southerners storyline. No portrayal even close of actual history there, just ignorant racist Southerners who are still fighting a civil war to keep slaves 30 something years later. Bad whitey! Racist whitey! Go retreive a journal for a racist white overseer who is still crying about not having any slaves to beat thirty something years later? Why sure! Rescue a "colored" gal from white kidnappers wearing grey civil war hats? Why of course!

And nobody puts their crawfish traps in the mud. (It's not pronounced "crayfish" rockstar. get a coonass consultant to tell you how people in the swamp live already)

Learn some history if you're gonna make a period game Rockstar, and way to go alienating people who abhor that stereotypical nonsense.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

2018 was definitely a turning point for gaming. If you are a console gamer then 2019 is a year that will be of much interest. If you are a pc gamer then many things have changed mostly due to hardware,

BTW if you are a pc gamer and are looking for some fellow ATS mates to game with, shoot me a PM.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

.....You do realise that its a video game and not a historical essay on racism and southerners?

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yeah I agree felt like a turning point, showed that gamers are still looking for amazing single player experiences and aren't going to be paying for half a game.

Some really good games.

I used to play on pc but I just use console now sorry mate.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I'm from the south and took no offense to it.

It's Rockstar, they are a bad company to take literally, lots of butt hurt will come along with that.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Serious question here.
How do you guys find so much time for video games?

When I was first married "1994" we worked different shifts and rented so it was pretty easy to find time.
But now with a job, house and a kid active in sports I'm getting maybe an hour of world of tanks on my ipad once in a while.

Is it more free time or different priorities....

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

RDR2 was truly a masterpiece.

I don't typically do campaigns in games as they've obviously shifted their attention away from the experience so you don't get the same immersion, so it's refreshing when someone stays true to the roots of gaming and comes out with something that really stands out.

The game I played most though in 2018 was PUBG, I still play it rather frequently and just love the stakes that are in every match, all or nothing.

One game I'm skeptical to get excited for in 2019 is The Division 2. The first one unfortunately had a few game breaking bugs that created such imbalance between players as some would get the best gear in glitched runs.

That said, I think it showed an incredible potential, story line was great, visuals stunning, and game play was very unique.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

How do you guys find so much time for video games?

Mate if I actually spent less time playing video games and pissing about online I would be bloody dangerous, could have been Brexit secretary or some #.

Honestly though I dont actually know I work full time and and still do all the usual crap, kind of helps that I dont sleep much I guess. And there are several games that I haven't yet had a change to play, av been playing RDR2 since it came out and av not completed it.

I don't think its more free-time or different priorities its more like how some guys like to go out gardening, others like to pay darts, some go to the football others spend a few hours on a weekend gaming.

edit on 8-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Even though am struggling to muster up the motivation to finish RDR2 because its almost too much game I do agree its a true masterpiece, I think its a perfect example of how game design really is an art.

Now the Devision 2 I am looking forward to that, I was one of those lucky annoying guys who managed to farm out for all that gear early on and while it was fun it totally broke the game. I hear though that about a year or so after launch they managed to fix it all. I hope this time they have a decent loot system and in game economy so that they dont have the same issues.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Is it more free time or different priorities....

4-6 hours of sleep a night on weekdays.

I may game an hour or two on some weekdays, and maybe have a 4 hour sitdown on a cruddy weekend.

I was still able to game about half that much when I worked in logistics and had 60 hour weeks and a needy girlfriend.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   

They did eventually fix it, but by that time it was too late for me. I wasn't gonna put in the hours to essentially start from scratch. Although the survival mode they came out with was essentially stand alone, thankfully that made it worth it in the long run.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm not really offended, I just think its lazy storytelling.

But then again, I think most of the games they come out with today suck in general.

They're all about entertainment, not meant to be much of a challenge.

Guess I'm getting old.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I hear ya, offended was probably a poor choice in words.

They're just a satirical company, as many of the GTA's have shown, the last one ripped on LA hard and I loved it.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

The amount of incomplete games and the addition of micro transactions to franchises where it was either minimal or non existent. I bought the new WoW expansion after skipping the last... ewww.
edit on 8-1-2019 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join